Dangerfield hit on Vlastuin

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes he need to recalibrate his assessments. Eg Franklin intentionally used his elbow, Selwood intentionally ran into the GWS player. You do that you get the desired outcomes.

I don’t know what happened to Danger in hospital, maybe it was just an assessment but whatever happened it was serious enough to take him out of the game.
Imo what Greene did was intentional, the MRO is consistent in that they don’t use that word intentional but Greene always plays that way as shown by a shocking history. He doesn’t do things by halves, he will get you good and proper.
What he should be doing is raising his arms so danger can’t pin them, not stick an elbow up and out with force but Greene loves to hurt, not sure how anyone can deny it.

Cannot believe how sorry people feel for Greene. Poor little Greene always getting rubbed out, how about not playing in a dangerous and deliberate manner?
I'm not sure anyone feels sorry for Greene. They're just calling out the inconsistency in the MRO. If Astbury, Fritsch and Buddy had all been suspended then no-one would be arguing the toss on Greene's two match ban.

I'm not sure anyone feels sorry for Greene. They're just calling out the inconsistency in the MRO. If Astbury, Fritsch and Buddy had all been suspended then no-one would be arguing the toss on Greene's two match ban.

Fritsch and Buddy were suspended. What is it with people not understanding this? Greene is in exactly the same position. It’s only the Richmond player getting ‘looked after’

The other 2 had to find loopholes to get off.

Fritsch and Buddy were suspended. What is it with people not understanding this? Greene is in exactly the same position. It’s only the Richmond player getting ‘looked after’

The other 2 had to find loopholes to get off.
Fritsch and Buddy were not suspended. The MRO offered a sanction, they chose to successfully challenge and then played the next week. Believe it or not, but the MRO and tribunal work under the same rules. The tribunal in effect said that the MRO got it wrong. Simple really.

Look at the entire process, not just the part that supports your argument.

Speaking of looked after... how many times can Selwood be looked after this season - stomping, eye-gouging, head high hits,...

Can someone please tell me how Dangerfield got 0 for this and Greene got 2 weeks?

Because they are completely different.
If you honestly can't see the differences, then there's no point trying to explain it.

I'm more concerned about how Selwood gets off for his bump.

Fritsch and Buddy were not suspended. The MRO offered a sanction, they chose to successfully challenge and then played the next week. Believe it or not, but the MRO and tribunal work under the same rules. The tribunal in effect said that the MRO got it wrong. Simple really.

Look at the entire process, not just the part that supports your argument.

Speaking of looked after... how many times can Selwood be looked after this season - stomping, eye-gouging, head high hits,...

The only person not to even get offered a match was the protected tiger. Get it?
I get the process but you’re sooking Greene is ‘offered’ weeks.
It’s not a suspension as you say so why are you and everyone else complaining?
Selwood should’ve been suspended yes, but he isn’t the only one to ever get off on a bump that didn’t cause an injury is he?
He is also the only player to get suspended for a push.
The difference between you and I is one is bias. I call for a suspension on my own, you don’t. You just get upset when I point out only the tiger player didn’t get offered a week.

Last edited:
So you do want the outcome and not the action to be a determinant in MRO findings?

Of corse the outcome determines the MRO findings it is actually part of the grading system they use. Sometimes players are lucky the person the infringe upon does not get injured and they don’t get as harsh a penalty and sometimes they are unlucky and they get hurt and they are suspended for longer.

Dangefield was suspended at the beginning of the year for choosing to bump someone and knocking him out in the process. If you choose to bump and no one is injured players don’t get reported for it. Do you think that everyone who lays a bump should get three weeks because it is the action not the outcome that is the issue?

The only person not to even get offered a match was the protected tiger. Get it?
I get the process but you’re sooking Greene is ‘offered’ weeks.
It’s not a suspension as you say so why are you and everyone else complaining?
Selwood should’ve been suspended yes, but he isn’t the only one to ever get off on a bump that didn’t cause an injury is he?
He is also the only player to get suspended for a push.
The difference between you and I is one is bias. I call for a suspension on my own, you don’t. You just get upset when I point out only the tiger player didn’t get offered a week.
🙄

Would’ve been quite comfortable with Astbury getting a week, which I’ve stated on BigFooty before.

So in other words, go to hospital and it’s a week. Get concussed but stay at the ground, it’s okay.
Dangerfield’s elbow to Vlastuin is almost identical to Greene’s. Eh the whole thing is a shambles

That’s great now just make sure you get your protected species targets right. That is Astbury.
Being reported once, found guilty and fined when he should’ve been given a week makes Astbury a protected species… but stomping, gouging and making deliberate head high contact and not getting weeks still makes Selwood a victim somehow. That seems right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So in other words, go to hospital and it’s a week. Get concussed but stay at the ground, it’s okay.
Dangerfield’s elbow to Vlastuin is almost identical to Greene’s. Eh the whole thing is a shambles
It's not the same at all. Look at the Vlastuin hit. Dangerfield raised his arm and hit the ball and then it remained up to brace for impact. Greene just lifted his arm to hit or brace for Dangerfield.

wrong

whether you are punching the ball away or going for a tackle, does raising the elbow in the contest to protect one self vindicate the action ? No

Vlastuin against Danger went to tackle not bump, Danger chose to protect himself BUT his action was illegal regardless of him trying to protect himself a raised elbow to the head is illegal and reckless. If he had time to clench his fist and raise/square up his elbow to Vlastuins head he had time to fend off the tackle…but this is done and dusted, and based on the AFLs judgement you can fend off with your elbow to protect one self. Danger was cleared and a can of worms was open…just waiting for the next similar incident

I’ve been there. Years ago in a game I went to tackle a guy and copped the elbow in the larynx similar to Greene and had a bruised and very sore larynx for a while, Dr said it can be fatal if very severe

No one regardless if they are in a passage of play should raise their elbow at another’s head…

BUT the AFL had opportunity to clear this up in last years GF and earlier this year but missed the opportunity.
Based on precedence Green should get off, but regardless of the player in question the act should be stamped out, it is dangerous

And this is not about the game softening, a raised elbow can do a lot of damage and should not be part of the game.

Perfectly put. There just should be no tolerance of raising the elbow and contacting an opponent, let alone contacting his most vulnerable areas around the head, neck and throat.

In the AFL there didn’t seem to be any tolerance of it….until the edit: Ablett incidents and Dangerfield incident. Now this season we’ve seen these incredibly dangerous Fritsch and Greene actions at speed which fortunately did not cause serious injury. For mine it is very difficult to understand where this has come from and how it can happen in an such an increasingly concussion conscious environment.

I can see how some people find the Dangerfield forearm debatable, but for mine that is a suspension, a player contesting he ball fairly like Vlastuin was should never expect to cop a forearm to the face at top speed. The other two, those for mine were cut and dried and should result in telling suspensions.

Looked at another way….why is it reasonable for Dangerfield to raise his forearm to protect himself but unreasonable for Vlastuin to do the same? Why is it ok for the ball carrier to put up a forearm to fend but not reasonable for the tackler to put up a forearm to deal with the ball carrier. Forearms need to be either legal or illegal for both players in a contest, and it is blindingly obvious they cannot be legal.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back