Traded Dayne Beams [traded with #41 and #43 to Collingwood for #18, #56 and future 1st round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Some potential opportunity cost?

I don't know the ins and outs of collingwoods picks but if you preferred lower picks for Quaynor could you have traded for instance - pick 18 to Sydney for 26 and a 2019 3rd rounder?

I know it doesn't amount to a lot but think opportunity cost needs to be considered in some of these trades.

I’d take Beams over that any day. The guy is an elite midfielder who can kick goals. Back at collingwood who played midfield and half forward. He will do that again next year and the year after. Can then stay as a forward when he slows down.

I’d take Beams over that any day. The guy is an elite midfielder who can kick goals. Back at collingwood who played midfield and half forward. He will do that again next year and the year after. Can then stay as a forward when he slows down.

Yes obviously Beams is a far better pickup. Beams will be so good for you guys for the next couple of years.

Was just a comment that 2019 pick wasn't the only thing that was 'lost'

There is always an opportunity cost with any traded picks.

Think it was a decent trade for both clubs.

Sure hes a good player, but did the Pies need to give 2 first rounders effectively for another midfielder? Their midfield is already a huge asset, probably one of the best in the league. I'm not sure this trade gives them as much improvement as someone like a Stephen May would have. That or a key forward would also have been a much better return.

Why are people saying he didn't thank Brisbane? He thanked them for everything and then went on to spell it out, for getting him home to be with his dad, for letting him go back again, for the professionalism they showed through it all, then he went on to talk up the youth at Brisbane, and how they were going places.
Not sure what people expected.

Brisbane definitely won this trade.

However if Beams helps us get a flag, it will be win/win.

If not, well I don't want to think about that.

Two first rounders 18 (985 pts) and another pick (somewhere in the 1112-985 range next year) and a late pick 56 (194 points) for Academy bidding in return for Beams and 41 (412 pts) and 43 (378 pts) is a solid return for the Lions. [790 draft points to Collingwood and at least 2,164 draft points to the Lions]

Irrespective of how this has played out publicly, after reading what some of his teammates are saying about him it's difficult to reach a conclusion that he's a bad bloke imo. It's also clear that his contribution to Brisbane was considerably larger than what he achieved on the park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy with the trade, get to enjoy collingwood losses even more next year ;)

On Beams I think it is good for him to be back in Melbourne. Had he not have made the B and F speech I think reaction to him leaving would be far, far different. We'll probably never know the real story here but not sure why he (and his management) thought it necessary.

Till next year's blockbuster trade for the return of Jack Frost to Collingwood!

Irrespective of how this has played out publicly, after reading what some of his teammates are saying about him it's difficult to reach a conclusion that he's a bad bloke imo. It's also clear that his contribution to Brisbane was considerably larger than what he achieved on the park.

Certainly popular with team mates. Its just fans who are annoyed (me slightly included).

But I think on reflection most will realise he needed to go for his own sake, and its not like we didn't get a good deal.

Sure hes a good player, but did the Pies need to give 2 first rounders effectively for another midfielder? Their midfield is already a huge asset, probably one of the best in the league. I'm not sure this trade gives them as much improvement as someone like a Stephen May would have. That or a key forward would also have been a much better return.
Who else should we have targetted?

Midfield:
Strongest midfielders in the comp
Grundy.

Forward
KPP: De Goey + Cox, one dominant goal square KPF another pack mark KPF that can also ruck
Small/medium forwards: Elliot, Hoskin-Elliot, Stephensen, Thomas, Mayne, Wells

Defence:
Medium defender-Crisp + Howe, Langdon. First 2 are both ranked in the top 2 of medium defenders according to AFL rating
Small defender-Maynard, dominated both Greene and Martin

So you say we should've chosen a key defender in May?
JJK and Darling averaged 5.5 goals when they played together this year for 52 inside 50s per game.

They kicked 4.0 goals for 63 inside 50s against us in the finals, and that was when we played Langdon+Goldsack.

That's without our 2 best KPDs in Dunn and Scharenberg, who are both perfect matchups against JJK/Darling.
Next year we get both back, Moore may be available, we picked up Roughhead, we get Kelly as a young intercepting CHB through the draft. Reid/Goldsack potentially as depth. That inside 50 count was when Pendlebury was sick, Sidebottom was tagged, Treloar was rushed back from severe hamstring injury, Sier wasn't fit. We had like 4/6 of our best midfielders not being ready.

Truth to be told, we just have an extraordinary list of talent all across the ground, we pick the best talent available.

Not that bad. He gave us good service when fit, sat through the garbage and helped change the culture. The initial deal only looks bad because Collingwood can draft and develop talent well. I think we're proving now that we can too, and two firsts will help.

I'm only annoyed that he took the front ended years and pissed off once he was coming to the lower years. That's life.

Does he not have to pay it back? I remember people saying Ablett had to give back front loaded money to Gold Coast.

Their 2 x R1 wouldn't have got May though.

We didnt really have the currency to get a pick low enough that GC would accept.

Who else should we have targetted?

Midfield:
Strongest midfielders in the comp
Grundy.

Forward
KPP: De Goey + Cox, one dominant goal square KPF another pack mark KPF that can also ruck
Small/medium forwards: Elliot, Hoskin-Elliot, Stephensen, Thomas, Mayne, Wells

Defence:
Medium defender-Crisp + Howe, Langdon. First 2 are both ranked in the top 2 of medium defenders according to AFL rating
Small defender-Maynard, dominated both Greene and Martin

So you say we should've chosen a key defender in May?
JJK and Darling averaged 5.5 goals when they played together this did youyear for 52 inside 50s per game.

They kicked 4.0 goals for 63 inside 50s against us in the finals, and that was when we played Langdon+Goldsack.

That's without our 2 best KPDs in Dunn and Scharenberg, who are both perfect matchups against JJK/Darling.
Next year we get both back, Moore may be available, we picked up Roughhead, we get Kelly as a young intercepting CHB through the draft. Reid/Goldsack potentially as depth. That inside 50 count was when Pendlebury was sick, Sidebottom was tagged, Treloar was rushed back from severe hamstring injury, Sier wasn't fit. We had like 4/6 of our best midfielders not being ready.

Truth to be told, we just have an extraordinary list of talent all across the ground, we pick the best talent available.
Did you just call DeGoey a KPF?

It was clear when Hogan was wanting out that Melbourne were in the box seat. The Pies were still in the hunt when Freo turned their back on Hogan. The fact was we didn’t have the currency to get May particularly given what GC would get for him next year (pick 2 or 3?). So Beams came up and we would have been mad to say no.

No doubt he will make us better again next year. DeGoey probably plays more as a permanent forward. We lost the GF because we just couldn’t get the ball in that last qtr. Beams may have been the difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back