MRP / Trib. De Goey hit on Elijah Hewett

Remove this Banner Ad

I noticed De Goey isn’t getting the Good bloke Tom Stewart treatment

Amazing the media witch hunt going on, blokes trying to get click bait.

Richo summed it up perfectly.

Most probably because he has a very well documented history of being a complete campaigner.:shrug:
Well I would say what De goey did isn't a cheap shot...yes he got the bump wrong ....but the media looking to nail him ...but if you Want to see a cheap shot go watch Tom Stewart's hit on Prestia ....that is a cheap shot .....oh but Tom was such a good bloke ....Media are hypocrites

Well I would say what De goey did isn't a cheap shot...yes he got the bump wrong ....but the media looking to nail him ...but if you Want to see a cheap shot go watch Tom Stewart's hit on Prestia ....that is a cheap shot .....oh but Tom was such a good bloke ....Media are hypocrites

It amazes me people can't see the stark difference between the Stewart and DeGoey hits. Stewart was lucky to get off with four. DeGoey will be extremely unlucky to get four. And so many lining up to sink the slipper in on a player who I can't recall ever being anything but a fair and clean player.

I'm not even talking about the action- which BTW was most definitely a cheap shot.
That aside- Tom Stewart probably is a good bloke, DeGoey definitely is not. Jordan is a feckwit and pretty much everyone knows it. Sort of rules out downplaying an offence because he is a good bloke doesn't it? I don't think he is normally a dirty player, but his character is certainly very questionable.

The problem in all of this is that the AFL has ****ed everything up by picking and choosing when a player can and can't do these sorts of actions. Likely to win a brownlow? star player playing a GF next week? Play on! Combine that with the flavour of the week of rubbing out players for 1-2 weeks for slightly dubious tackles and now compare that to potentially 3 weeks for lining a player up and concussing them.

So we will now be in the position where the eagles fans will be baying for blood on the claims this action needs to be stamped out and the pies fans will be saying their calls are ridiculous if we look at some of the previous precedents.

Personally I think if the AFL aren't willing to come down hard on this action they deserve all that's coming to them when the inevitable concussion lawsuits come. With that said, the time to do that was earlier in the year when pickett thought launching his shoulder at Bailey Smiths head was a perfectly reasonable course of action. the only difference between the two is De Goey successfully connected and Pickett missed.

Think it should be at least 4 similar to McAdam, more if AFL were serious about concussions, but they clearly aren't so probably 3 is where it will inevitably land.

Tribunal judgements are nowhere near consistent, so how can the fans possibly apply any consistency to what they think should happen here?

Last edited:
I'm not even talking about the action- which BTW was most definitely a cheap shot.
That aside- Tom Stewart probably is a good bloke, DeGoey definitely is not. Jordan is a feckwit and pretty much everyone knows it. Sort of rules out downplaying an offence because he is a good bloke doesn't it? I don't think he is normally a dirty player, but his character is certainly very questionable.
I disagree ...I don't think it's a cheap shot

Will get the 4 weeks which most are in agreeance on.

This also highlights how badly wrong the tribunal got the Kosi Pickett incident from early in the season. Picketts was way worse than this.

Picketts should have been 6 and JDG 4
Agree Pickets action was worse, but the outcome was better. And therin lies the problem. I dont even think the AFL are clear on whether they are punishing the action or the outcome or a bit of column A, a bit of column B.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the difference?

TnFL0Ow3.jpeg

De Goey left the ground. Game over. 4 weeks minimum.

TnFL0Ow3.jpeg

De Goey left the ground. Game over. 4 weeks minimum.
That’s well after the contact.
Why not show the static shot where they both have feet on the ground as contact is made?
De Goey did wrong and should be suspended. He got him high.
But this nonsense in the media is nauseating.
Now the West Coast club itself are issuing a public apology as it got caught up in the nonsense. Embarrassing.

1685941831915.jpeg

That’s well after the contact.
Why not show the static shot where they both have feet on the ground as contact is made?
De Goey did wrong and should be suspended. He got him high.
But this nonsense in the media is nauseating.
Now the West Coast club itself are issuing a public apology as it got caught up in the nonsense. Embarrassing.

View attachment 1705338
He’s leaving the ground in your still as well. Had plenty of time to come in lower or brace for impact but instead chose to hit him on the up with more force than he needed to to. Have to pay the price for that if you knock him out unfortunately.

Minimum 4 weeks in todays game, that was 4 weeks 10 years ago.

Probably a reason for that.
How is it not obvious to everyone? Pies fans play the victim so damn well. Just own your mistake like Stewart did. All I’m seeing is their fans and Collingwood people point fingers and say what about Gaff, what about Stewart, what about Pickett?
No wonder the fans have a bad reputation. It’s all the eagles fault posting on Insta or Sheed having a say.
He got it wrong but you don’t see much remorse because he is a shocking bloke.

It amazes me people can't see the stark difference between the Stewart and DeGoey hits. Stewart was lucky to get off with four. DeGoey will be extremely unlucky to get four. And so many lining up to sink the slipper in on a player who I can't recall ever being anything but a fair and clean player.
What are the stark differences? Stewart was a half second later but De Goey left the ground

Media hit job in progress. Yes he will get suspended, but jeez some of the comments are so over the top.
Lol? Quite the opposite. Most Vic media commentators are massively playing it down an lamenting how it may affect his AA chances and rules him out for the Brownlow.

Make no mistake, if the exact same thing was done by Yeo to Daicos, they'd be begging the AFL for 6 weeks minimum.

Nat Edwards was the only one to call out De Goey properly, that I've seen so far. Cut of Barrett's rambling in AAA to say how blatantly stupid it was from De Goey and that he clearly elected to bump, as well as leaving the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. De Goey hit on Elijah Hewett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back