Review Dees v Dogs: the Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 17, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

We had 10 more scoring shots and five fewer I50s, and won by 50 points. Not sure where this comes particular complaint comes from?
From being at the game and nearly tearing my hair out twice per quarter watching us stream forward and waste a setup that looked to be a certain goal. It was a decent win in the end no doubt.

He was putrid for the first 3 quarters. Watched him float around like a headless chook 90% if the time trying to figure out what he brings to the team going forward. Came up with not much at all. Can't say I paid much attention to him after that. Would take someone who has an impact or positional awareness instead of 8 tackles because his direct opponent has gotten the ball due to his ineptitude in the first place.

I know he was always a project player but he's had more than his fair amount of chances and really shouldn't have had his contract extended, much akin to Stretch. I don't see him coming along like Harmes and ANB have or Spargo etc etc can, who actually have potential to be solid AFL level contributors. Happy to be proven wrong though.

I didn't see the much of the game due to my tremendous mobile reception, but the guy doesn't really have a role in the side and he'd know that. He won't play inside like he does in the VFL, he doesn't have the pace to play outside or any real craft to play up forward. Bit hard to pot a bloke who gets picked as a place-holder for a week.

We had 10 more scoring shots and five fewer I50s, and won by 50 points. Not sure where this comes particular complaint comes from?

Easy(ish) goals missed I can recall are Garletts handball through the goal, Fritsch's uncharacteristic misses, Tmac not making the distance from 25 metres out on a slight angle, and Bernie missing from 45 on the run with plenty of space.

Couple of howlers but hardly anything to be stressed about.

Only getting to watch the game now. Almost lost count of how many times Lewis loses his feet.

Would also really like a Brayshaw signing soon
Yeah massive increase in losing your feet is as much a sign the end is near as calf strains.

Easy(ish) goals missed I can recall are Garletts handball through the goal, Fritsch's uncharacteristic misses, Tmac not making the distance from 25 metres out on a slight angle, and Bernie missing from 45 on the run with plenty of space.

Couple of howlers but hardly anything to be stressed about.
Nah I agree.

We butcher way too many golden opportunities. It's why we always seem to have 10 inside 50s for a few behinds before the opposition run down the other end and kick a goal from their 1st trip inside. It's happened most of the season. To be fair as a strategy it has worked more often than it hasn't, but against the top 3 or 4 sides in the comp, they will bury you which is what has happened.

Johnno Brown of all people was right on to it on the coverage. He said a few times that when we get that first 'clean' entry, where we have 1 on 1s and some space because the oppposition hadn't had time to flood back yet, we need to be more precise and get more goals out of those chances. The repeat entries are a little different because it's so crowded, but those proper entries, we butcher so many should-be-certain goals.

If we can just convert even another 20% of those proper great chances, we'd be top 4, given the usual volume of inside 50s we create.

Nah I agree.

We butcher way too many golden opportunities. It's why we always seem to have 10 inside 50s for a few behinds before the opposition run down the other end and kick a goal from their 1st trip inside. It's happened most of the season. To be fair as a strategy it has worked more often than it hasn't, but against the top 3 or 4 sides in the comp, they will bury you which is what has happened.

Johnno Brown of all people was right on to it on the coverage. He said a few times that when we get that first 'clean' entry, where we have 1 on 1s and some space because the oppposition hadn't had time to flood back yet, we need to be more precise and get more goals out of those chances. The repeat entries are a little different because it's so crowded, but those proper entries, we butcher so many should-be-certain goals.

If we can just convert even another 20% of those proper great chances, we'd be top 4, given the usual volume of inside 50s we create.
I’m more leaning toward:
  • making slight structural tweaks at the other end,
  • continuing to coach the mids when and how hard to run back (******* god dam hard you campaigners!), and
  • Continuing to improve our 1v1 defence,
In order to cut down some of those ridiculously easy goals oppo scores.

I reckon if we reduce those by 20% we’d be right up there, and far less vulnerable to the other top teams. I don’t think relying on scoring 100+ every week to win is sustainable, or robust enough to win finals.

I’m more leaning toward:
  • making slight structural tweaks at the other end,
  • continuing to coach the mids when and how hard to run back (******* god dam hard you campaigners!), and
  • Continuing to improve our 1v1 defence,
In order to cut down some of those ridiculously easy goals oppo scores.

I reckon if we reduce those by 20% we’d be right up there, and far less vulnerable to the other top teams. I don’t think relying on scoring 100+ every week to win is sustainable, or robust enough to win finals.
But I do agree we butcher more certain goals and very gettable opportunities than any other top 12 side. So that’s probably an easier route to winning a couple more H&A games.

But I do agree we butcher more certain goals and very gettable opportunities than any other top 12 side. So that’s probably an easier route to winning a couple more H&A games.
Yeah either way I'm ok with.

I guess it's just with Lever confirmed out for the rest of the year and Hibberd out for who knows how long, how much can we really tweak in defence at this point?

I feel like it is just some tiny decision making tweaks and changes in mindset inside 50 that would lead to easily 2 or 3 more goals a match. That is basically the difference between 9th and 4th at the moment.

I don't think we've been easy to score against for a while now. Even when Radelaide came out on fire, we only gave up 3 or 4 goals and 2 of them were arsey shots from the boundary and another was direct from a free kick if I recall. THen for the rest of the game, Adelaide really had to work for their goals. There's always going to be patches in games where teams get scored on. That even happens to Richmond. We just have to make sure when we're going inside so easily, that we make the most of our chances. The rest will take care of itself IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shades of this game to the third and fourth tonight. If you know you know, except it was Jacko with the tap work instead of Max, and Gus had an equally unbelievable third quarter but was outside the centre square.

We kicked 7 goals in 12 minutes (inc time on) during the third. 12 of the last 15.

Topkent will remember. I've always said it's the most enjoyable centre square performance I've seen. Tonight s**t on it.

Shades of this game to the third and fourth tonight. If you know you know, except it was Jacko with the tap work instead of Max, and Gus had an equally unbelievable third quarter but was outside the centre square.

We kicked 7 goals in 12 minutes (inc time on) during the third. 12 of the last 15.

Topkent will remember. I've always said it's the most enjoyable centre square performance I've seen. Tonight sh*t on it.

* literally just watched this today. Gus instead of Viney but it's like a taste of what was to come in the future when we attacked from the centre bounce

Remove this Banner Ad

Back