Review Dees v the Bloods - the Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 8 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Been saying it for weeks, his disposal is absolute garbage, the " he's playing a role really well for us" crowd finally starting to come over to my side. Like I knew you would, peasants. ;)
I've been in your camp since about round 2. It's the podcast, I tell ya. Do a podcast with Maxi and you're in!

Good:
- Stole the match, pretty crap effort that was saved by a few moments of brilliance and a stubborn defensive unit.
- May held the match together, so strong against Buddy.
- McDonald unreal, real high quality.
- Spargo: has picked up some hardness and quality, good effort and goal.
- Salem balanced and reliable.

Bad:
- Petracca: was close checked tonight and butchered everything.
- Gawn ruckwork: gave the Swans players silver service all night out of the centre. Hickey walked the ball out of the centre so many times.
- Jackson's ruckwork - got destroyed by Hickey.

Ugly:
- Centre clearances - absolutely slaughtered. How does an opponent get 17 centre clearances from 29 hitouts the entire match?!
- Brayshaw - FFS either dump kicked the ball OOF or straight to the opposition.
- Game strategy. Didn't look to control the ball with short kicks much at all, just bombed it long all night. Rampe and the Swan defence just rebounded it easily all night.

I've been in your camp since about round 2. It's the podcast, I tell ya. Do a podcast with Maxi and you're in!

I wouldn't get a game if I went on the podcast, a few of our players wouldn't enjoy hearing my thoughts about them I don't think, so I'll do the right thing by the team and pass even though I'm pretty sure I can still kick better than Gus.

Call me when we need Petty completely mentally broken tho 🤙

Last edited:
Are we now at that stage where we don’t play particularly well but still come away with the win? Like good teams do? I think so.

Was a pretty frustrating game, we just got killed in the centre clearances, they just walked it out, it is concerning.

Our starts the past two weeks have been woeful too, you just can’t give up a couple of goals in the first few minutes of a game, you have to kill the contest at a minimum early in a game, that was really disappointing.

But * it we won and 8-0 is bloody fantastic, just going to keep enjoying this ride we’re on so far this season.

* yeah dees!

On a general note we officially have the hydra forward line. Brown-TMac-Fritsch is going to give sides conniptions. Going to take a very very good backline to keep all three out of it, and once one vector opens the other two come into the game.
Add Gawn and Jackson floating forward it’s pretty formidable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a rollercoaster TMac has been.

Unbelievable form. Love that man.

Contract year. Funny how he's shown up twice now in them.

(Yes, I still love him all the same but hes a thief 😂)

When you tip the Friday night margin you don’t get the tip if you are closer to the margin with the wrong team 🤗

This isn't the Friday night margin tho, this is schmutt vs ADP, and ADP beats him again. 🤗

Your prediction went about as well as Buddy 🤗

Since I was closer, how best to relate your prediction to the game hmmmmm.. Your prediction was about as accurate as an Oliver kick inside 50 🤗

Weird one. Thought they wanted it more, and they beat us in a lot of the contested ball situations, but somehow we kept it together until the end. They remind me a bit of us in 2018, where we'd constantly have 6 blokes around the ball, and where we'd smash the other teams in clearances, contested possession and inside 50s, but not always get a lot of result for it. I think the rain helped them more than us for that very reason - we were starting to get some separation, and pick through them with some swift ball movement before it started to get wet and our handballing game went to s**t. We also had a lot of guys down tonight, so we can take it as a positive that we were able to find a win against a decent team who threw everything at us, but a more composed team probably beats us tonight. 8-0, though, not going to complain.

Good:

- TMac, the match winner. Didn't think I'd be saying that 3 months ago.
- Brown while the conditions suited him - think he showed why he's still potentially an important piece of this year.
- Loved the efforts of Oliver, Harmes and JJ in the middle. They made the occasional mistakes - as everyone does in a high-pressure game like tonight - but can't fault their games overall.
- Backline held up well without Tomlinson. People are going to be clowns and try to turn Petty into the new whipping boy for some reason, but he did his job tonight. I don't know who he was manned up on, but that's probably because I didn't hear his name called once. If he can do that, and free up Lever to an extent, then that's all he needs to do.
- Rivers and Jackson playing with so much composure under the conditions. They're not 'good young players', they're just 'good players'.

Bad:

- A few guys down tonight, particularly the forwards. Pickett and Fritsch both had their worst games of the season. ANB worked hard, and Melksham did one or two nice things, but Spargo was probably the only one of the smaller forwards who I can really say had a decent game. Think it might be time to give Chandler or Bedford a chance.
- Swans outworked us for a lot of the game, and we're gonna have to get used to that as the season progresses. Being at the top means that teams are going to find that extra 10% to knock you off, and we have to be ready for that. Like I said, we found a way to win against a good side so I'm not going to make a mountain out of a molehill, but there were a few efforts at times tonight that won't cut the mustard (see Fritch going to the ground and losing a one-on-one on the wing, failing to lay a regulation tackle, and then kicking it into the man on the mark in the space of 5 minutes while the Swans were coming at us in the third).

Ugly:

- Rampe for being in exactly the right place every time we kicked it inside 50. Get out of the way and let us have a couple of cheap ones you stingy prick.
- The pressure of being 8-0. I can't stand it. Hopefully we lose of a couple soon so I can get back into my comfort zone. Some of us just weren't built to fly this high. :'(

Last edited:
  • Harmes was excellent
  • Brown good - can't wait til he's fully fit in another few weeks
  • Spargo massive (metaphorically speaking)
  • T Mac is back, if he wasn't already
  • Desperately need Viney back in - takes so much heat off Trac & Clarry
  • Not convinced on Petty yet but will judge in a few weeks
  • Fritsch terrible, looked lazy, hope he cops a rocket

Well played. I know we were never all that far behind but it actually felt like we were chasing your tails all night. I’ll admit there were a few stages where I dared to hope that we might pinch it but it felt like we were battling to stay with you from very early on. Congrats and fingers crossed we see you again in September :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back