Review Dees v the Western Fail Dogs - the Good, Bad and the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Also beating them and the umps.
What is the go with the free kick differentials? All jokes aside, why do they seem to just get an arm chair ride. It must be something that they are doing to exploit an interpritation...

It's a bloody shambles. I now watch all bulldogs games expecting a similiar outcome to west coast at home.

A product of the drafting era when anyone taller than 194cm got bumped up 15 places because 'talls are more valuable'
It was only six years ago. Don't think much has changed. He's come from a footy family and was a gun junior. Some kids just don't build the muscle or confidence required to make it.

What is the go with the free kick differentials? All jokes aside, why do they seem to just get an arm chair ride. It must be something that they are doing to exploit an interpritation...

It's a bloody shambles. I now watch all bulldogs games expecting a similiar outcome to west coast at home.
Look at the way they attack the ball. They like to stop and cop any contact coming. Works against drek teams, not so much against us on Wednesday given we just pinched the ball and ran through them in straight lines.

One small criticism is Gawn still has bad chemistry with the mids when he tries this deft tap stuff. Watch the dogs in the second quarter and how many taps went straight to a dogs player. Just thump the *ing ball forward Max, I actually think we do better with Jacko in the middle because the taps are 50/50 usually at the ruckmans feet.

One small criticism is Gawn still has bad chemistry with the mids when he tries this deft tap stuff. Watch the dogs in the second quarter and how many taps went straight to a dogs player. Just thump the f*n ball forward Max, I actually think we do better with Jacko in the middle because the taps are 50/50 usually at the ruckmans feet.
The majority of his taps are into space or to opposition or 50/50 contests. He does have a few great ones, where it's down our players throats but that is the exception. It's been the same for quite some time and it's puzzling to me why the connection hasnt improved.
If Max could fix his delivery to our mids we would be even harder to stop.
I compiled a video of Max's best work last year, but the amount of footage I saw of his taps that were misdirected were far and away greater than the pinpoint ones you see in the vid.

One small criticism is Gawn still has bad chemistry with the mids when he tries this deft tap stuff. Watch the dogs in the second quarter and how many taps went straight to a dogs player. Just thump the f*n ball forward Max, I actually think we do better with Jacko in the middle because the taps are 50/50 usually at the ruckmans feet.
We are still a s**t centre bounce team, the Grand Final was the exception.

It's like they have no plan for it, just tap it wherever Max don't actually try pinpoint someone or smash it forward.

I trust us to win centre bounce way more with Dogga, the ball stays within a couple metres and I back him to win the second ball. I think the Granny showed that.

It's so frustrating because Gawn always gets first hand to the ball.

oddly, Max does that a bit - and you can sometimes see him learning mid game to belt it out. Or more that we practice a certain ideal structure, but some teams are good enough to shark it so it goes pear shaped. I noticed that we at least tried to get our mids to stand back a bit from the bounce to be in a better position and have a bit of space to reach a decent thump ahead of the dogs - it didn’t work out that well but at least they tried it. I’m not certain we always respond with these changes as quickly as we might

Max is a terrible tap ruck. Has been for the majority of his career. He's the best follower ruck in the game by a country mile but compared to natanui his actual tap craft sucks.
I honestly reckon that next to NN, everyone’s tap craft sucks. That guy is incredible at that role. He only suffers by the fact that he can’t offer what Max or even a Goldstein can around the ground, and doesn’t play enough minutes to get the big stats. But NN ruck ability is eye wateringly good

I honestly reckon that next to NN, everyone’s tap craft sucks. That guy is incredible at that role. He only suffers by the fact that he can’t offer what Max or even a Goldstein can around the ground, and doesn’t play enough minutes to get the big stats. But NN ruck ability is eye wateringly good
I reckon you'd find it hard to argue that NN isn't the best tap ruck of all time. With the circle especially limiting jumps he's still lethal.

But when it comes to the rest of the game Jackson is already better

Paddy Ryder is right up there with NN, hard to split them actually in terms of hit outs to advantage.

NN is an animal at ground level too, in a congested stoppage situation but yeah, offers little outside of that.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Max is a terrible tap ruck. Has been for the majority of his career. He's the best follower ruck in the game by a country mile but compared to natanui his actual tap craft sucks.

In 2018 he was quite good but has regressed since. Just don't get why he still goes with the small taps when it doesn't work, 50/50 the contest or whack it.

Paddy Ryder is right up there with NN, hard to split them actually in terms of hit outs to advantage.

NN is an animal at ground level too, in a congested stoppage situation but yeah, offers little outside of that.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Didn’t even think of him but absolutely one of the best rucks based on centre square performance alone.

I’ll stick with Max happily though. Gone are the days when a ruck taps only - Max’s coverage of the ground is exceptional for a man of his size and he is an exceptional mark. Also good footy sense around the ground. He puts himself in the exact right place for the mark so often, which is a bit lucky because the one thing he is consistently poor in is moving towards the ball in a contest. Mind you, with his height and arm length, it’s hardly surprising that this hasn’t been a priority

Last edited:
Good

• Going to the G again and seeing the red n blue faithful.
  • Winning against quality opposition with the majority of our backline out.
  • Trac. He is a god. I'm now convinced we have the best player in the comp. When the game was on the line, he stands up.
  • Ben Brown. Looked fantastic live. Works incredibly hard and his marking ability is a weapon. There's no reason why he can't average 3 goals a game this year.
  • Joel Smith. Credit where it's due. He was great in defence. Still not convinced yet, but more games like that and he might win me over.
  • Structure/Pressure. Haven't really had much chance to watch us live too many times in full flight. But geez the structure looks good at the ground. You really have a new appreciation for it when you see it live. May just holds it all together and Langdon/Brayshaw's gut running to get back in defence is insanely good.

Bad

• Stoppages. Got smashed by Carlton and then again against the Dogs. It's a common theme and with our backline looking like an emergency ward right now we can't afford to lose in this department that easily again until we get our full squad back.
  • Kozzy. Besides a burst in the first quarter where he looked dangerous, he had zero impact really. Small forward is tough, but expect more from him now.
  • Dogs fans. Where were they? Terrible turnout from them. I guess they were still scarred like their players from the GF.
  • Salem's knee. If there is one bloke we need up and going, it's this guy. No idea who will replace him and play that sweeping half back role setting up play. Maybe Bowey can do it if Riv/Pig comes back in. Big loss for a month..
Ugly

- The umpiring. Jesus fn Christ! I'm so sick of the over umpiring. It's completely ruining the watching experience of the game. So many whistles and tiggy touchwood frees. Let it go FFS! Plus we got absolutely reamed! And these 50m penalties! Our game is slowly being ruined by these rules. It's becoming harder and harder to watch a neutral game these days.

Haven't seen it mentioned but I thought Harmes was rubbish. A lot of bad kicks and bad decisions that cost us opportunities to score.

Will expect him to get better, first game a lot of players were scratchy, but this form carries on from the GF where he was rubbish right up until that elite kick to Fritsch (which was one of the most important kicks in our recent history...).

Haven't seen it mentioned but I thought Harmes was rubbish. A lot of bad kicks and bad decisions that cost us opportunities to score.

Will expect him to get better, first game a lot of players were scratchy, but this form carries on from the GF where he was rubbish right up until that elite kick to Fritsch (which was one of the most important kicks in our recent history...).

I’ve been hoping to find out Harmes was concussed. He looked that bad to me.

My biggest Good is the Demonblog on the game... a beautiful return to laugh out loud form!

The Tomchurian Candidate!

In 2018 he was quite good but has regressed since. Just don't get why he still goes with the small taps when it doesn't work, 50/50 the contest or whack it.
I like when he grabs it out of the ruck and just boots it into CHF as well. Could do it more and it might make his taps less predictable.

I would say Max’s marking is his biggest weapon. It was off on Wednesday night, but he takes pack marks all around the ground. Roosy used him as a defensive intercepter and he’s been able to really hit the scoreboard pushing forward under Goody as well. He’s a good kick for his size which helps if you’re marking it regularly.

I would say Max’s marking is his biggest weapon. It was off on Wednesday night, but he takes pack marks all around the ground. Roosy used him as a defensive intercepter and he’s been able to really hit the scoreboard pushing forward under Goody as well. He’s a good kick for his size which helps if you’re marking it regularly.
He's a decent kick inside 50 I reckon. No bullets, but pops them up nicely for someone like Brown or Fritsch to run and jump into.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back