Review Dogs Completely Out Coached By Beveridge: Lose Badly To Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

I shut my eyes every time dunkley has a kick. I've got no idea how that ball drop wasn't corrected at a very early age.

Can't see how Dunkley could ever be a successful AFL footballer with that technique. Gowers the same.

I'd rather give guys like Lipinski, Williams, Lynch, Greene etc a go ahead of these guys as they at least are effective when they get it.

Need to get rid of the flexibility crap. Too many players get picked every week that aren’t good enough to be picked in their preferred postion so Beveridge picks them anyway and then tries to find a spot for them, then wonders why our forward line is so dysfunctional and then add to that the constant baffling lack of selection of talls.

Keep it simple pick your best two kpd and best 4 mid-small defenders. Pick your best ruck and best 5-6 midfielders (can have 1 rotate forward at most) then pick your best kpf and either second best kpf or ruck/forward and 2-3 natural forwards. Then you use your bench to stock up on mids or have your flexibility mantra crap.

Beveridge seems to fail to realise that having flexibility in a player is for plan b if things are going wrong it’s not a plan A ffs

Bevo seems determined to f..k around with our structure, our players and our season just for the sake of it.

At the end of last year- we developed a good structure- Naughton, Moz and Cordy back, Schache, Bont, Greene forward, Dunkley, Trengove and Williams in the middle and it worked.

2019 comes and everything gets thrown up in the air.

On top of that team selection becomes a lottery merry go round with young players getting thrown into foreign roles then dropped after 1 or 2 games.

No wonder we have so many bereft of confidence players.

Just mind numingly frustrating!

Was far from our worst and I’m happy to admit I was not one for picking him after the JLT.

We don't really have any players like him, unlike all those big, slow mids half of which make up half of our forward line. It's painfully obvious when the position get the centre break or out the back that we are to slow on transition.

I'd pick him
over Dunkley, Williams, Wallis Gowers etc any day of the week.

It’s good to see Carlton have a win. Carlton is a struggling team – right?

As per earlier posts, we are not good enough to rest players & the blue print is out there – go tall when playing WB

Against Carlton we where once again out-played by a taller side

The game plan is not working so why not go taller, we can’t do any worse?

Well - we probably can - but let’s give it try anyway

Limit the shorter players to 3 under 182

Bring in Tom Boyd, Fletcher Roberts, Lewis Young, Jordon Sweet, and Jackson Trengove to play alongside the few talls already selected

Why not give it go or is it too sensible?

Result wise - PG needs to ask the question – please explain

from a neutrals point of view:

thought you were out coached today...why are you playing Bailey Williams as an inside mid when he showed a lot from half back last year. robs players like Libba and Dunkley midfield minutes which is there strength...same can be said of Gowers, you need targets to kick to down forward, it may be exciting to have him in midfield but just question some of the rotations and positioning of your players
Don't think anyone will disagree with you here. The selection committee and gameday coaching lost this for us, some of the decisions just boggle the mind

Bad kicking & poor skills are a lack of confidence

The players are smart enough to see the writing on the wall due to selection issues

My thoughts are - the players are gaining no confidence from Bevo & the current set-up

Last edited:
Sent this email to the club today, although they probably won't give a rat's.

As a member and lifetime supporter I want to let the club know that yesterday’s performance was totally unacceptable.
And I know I’m not alone in thinking this.
I was embarrassed sitting at home in NSW on my own and struggled to watch until the end.
Once again our opponents got the jump in the first quarter and we were playing catch up football.
The skill errors were deplorable and allowed numerous Carlton goals.
Players seemed confused and uncertain what to do with the ball.
How are we going to get more than 10 goals for a whole game?
These are highly paid professionals who can’t hit the side of a barn!
I could go on but you probably haven’t read this far.
I’m honestly dreading next week when, based on our efforts so far, I expect we’ll get smashed.

If hubris were a scoring method we’d be taking the game back to the early 90s. Alas. Time for a change? Perhaps replace ‘Cede Nullis’ with ‘Too Clever By Half’.

A coaching group that had great success placing players like Roberts, Hamling, Moyd, Picken, Biggs, Smith, etc in positions to emphasise their strengths in conventional lineups has largely abandoned both practices.

Think of a team’s structure like the hull of an old large ship. Only a catastrophic rupture should flood enough compartments to sink the ship. For two years now, we’ve been using structures that only require a minor rupture to sink us. There are too few failsafes, the balance too precarious. If everything doesn’t work exactly to plan, we lose.

It’s time to acknowledge that the constant experiments aren’t working, the risk now far outweighs the reward, strip it back and get the most out of our list in a more conventional structure, whatever that may may entail.

If hubris were a scoring method we’d be taking the game back to the early 90s. Alas. Time for a change? Perhaps replace ‘Cede Nullis’ with ‘Too Clever By Half’.

A coaching group that had great success placing players like Roberts, Hamling, Moyd, Picken, Biggs, Smith, etc in positions to emphasise their strengths in conventional lineups has largely abandoned both practices.

Think of a team’s structure like the hull of an old large ship. Only a catastrophic rupture should flood enough compartments to sink the ship. For two years now, we’ve been using structures that only require a minor rupture to sink us. There are too few failsafes, the balance too precarious. If everything doesn’t work exactly to plan, we lose.

It’s time to acknowledge that the constant experiments aren’t working, the risk now far outweighs the reward, strip it back and get the most out of our list in a more conventional structure, whatever that may may entail.

Beautifully put.

If you're 10 goals up in a Grand Final with three minutes to go, do all the experimenting you want. If you're 2-2 coming off two awful years and desperately need a win, probably best to just bank a win.

What do we all want? We want the coaches to stop d***ing around with selection, trying to reinvent the wheel, playing players in totally foreign positions or positions they are simply not designed to play (Caleb) and to get back to basics FFS.

If we could just convert more of our so many inside 50s....must be demoralising for the team and from there lack of that free flow confidence when a team is flying.
We're a bad last in goal accuracy (44.5%), 49 last year, 47 year before, so been crap for a while, especially for a relatively low scoring team.
This includes that freakish 9 goal last quarter against the Hawks. We can change things now can't we? example why couldn't the Bont (and a couple other forwards) kick 100 shots for goal after every training session!

If I was a player at the Dogs and I wasn't played in one main position and taught how to play that position I would consider walking out.

If I was an opposition player that the Dogs targeted I would not go. I would be targeted as a outside midfielder and probably end up rucking or becoming a key position.

I guess if they had the old footy cards they once had with a chewy inside and a puzzle on the back (yes showing my age) all our players would have Position - Utility.

I've made it to page 23 of 27 so far, and I feel like we're mostly in accordance with each other.
In a nutshell, we lost at selection, and then further compounded it by puzzling-at-best match day decisions then the piling on of woeful skill errors. Carlton were allowed to execute their plan almost perfectly, and kudos to them, they were due.
I thought we'd probably lose in a reasonably close one (Carlton's talls getting them over the line).
But what we got served in terms of effort, execution and coaching was a steaming hot plate of Bulldog s**t and that is completely unacceptable. Along with this, for the first time that I can remember, we had a large number of players blatantly playing for frees. I'm not talking about manufacturing a free, but playing for one. There's a difference, and I never want to see our team do that again.

I feared we would be bottom four after the JLT offered nothing in the way of hope, but then the first couple of games gave us a glimpse into a potentially brighter future for this season. Fool's gold perhaps.

As a club we need to get it together, ask and have answered tough questions of all players and staff. I'd like to say that it feels like we're at the crossroads, but to me it feels like we're in the wilderness - yet again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing that's most frustrating for me is that there isn't the consistency there in selection - are we picking for position or are we picking for talent?

With all due respect to Lachie Young, he was a player that every player passed on until the rookie draft, and was an over-ager in the TAC Cup. Yet he was considered next cab off the rank when we lost two HBFers to injury, as opposed to picking the multitude of older, experienced players, and putting someone else who plays up the ground to half back (Richard, Johannisen who have been playing on the wing - even Hunter could play half-back?).

It was so necessary to pick the next HBFer because he was a HBFer and not play some other player as part of that unit.

Yet on the other hand, in the forward or midfield, there doesn't seem to be any logic to the team balance we pick, with too many slow inside players and not enough tall players, and no logic to which players we want to play up forward and in the midfield - players like Wallis and Dunkley have inconsisently been either forward players or midfielders and Libba spent less time in midfield as we somehow thought Gowers was better there?

So it seems like we suffer from the weaknesses of both fluid and rigid positions and players across the various lines on the ground - the rigid nature of our defence letting us to select someone, with all due respect, shouldn't be getting a debut, yet the over-done fluid nature of our midfield and forward line means that players have no real position and the structure changes from week to week.

For a number of reasons, we have a gulf in players on the list recruited between 2006 and 2012.

You may not want to hear or believe it, but age and experience typically has a strong corelation to consistency and performance - many finals/premiership squads are built around a core group of hardened, consistent 24-30 year olds (2016 was an exception that proves the rule, to have so many youngsters perform at that level in a finals campaign was a borderline miracle).

With this cycle which is at least a year or two away from peaking, our elites are almost all 18-24 - there will be natural ups and downs and lack of consistency when many of the elites in the team have played between 1-6 seasons. We are super excited by English, Naughton, Williams, Daniel and Richards ceilings, but it's just natural that a player's development may not be linear, and in certain games where they put in a shocker, look like it's going backwards. When some of our leaders, who also barely have 100 games to their names, also put in the odd really poor game, then you get what we saw today.

However whether we should have brought in 2 first gamers (who were NOT knocking the door down) into an already inexperienced and somewhat unbalanced squad is something I'd very much agree with you on.
D

Might still be a bit raw, but want to offer some thoughts.

While you guys lost to one of the poorest performing teams in recent time, we're in that position due to a drastic, voluntary list overhaul. We've brought in stacks of young talent and potential, but have been patiently waiting for it to be realised. You got us off the back of a really painful loss, and our guys were under a lot of pressure to step up their games.

On the other hand, I reckon your club/coaches/list manager have been caught out a bit by the new rules. KPP's were a bit of a novelty the last few seasons, but now they're critical. Your list is probably a little unbalanced, as it was being built to play a "modern" style, then had the rug pulled out from under it. Boyd injured and Schache still developing is salt on the wound.

Reckon you can turn it around. Bevo just needs to stop trying to be clever to get ahead of the pack, and learn from what's working for the other sides in the comp. Play the best mids in the middle, runners on the outside, forwards and backs in their respective lines. Use a second ruck. Simple footy, let the players do their thing. I think he's trying to control too much of the game, evidenced by his complaints about the reduced runner activity, when the best sides are really just trusting their players to win the ball and score.

It'll turn for you. Just like the GC loss forced our players to do some real soul searching, this loss might be the one you need for your coaches to do the same.

Not that I necessarily disagree with people raising the issues about English first rucking, in the sense that there's issues with how it helps us win games today, but with the buckets of raw potential he's showing and the fact he's doing more than any ruck his age other than Grundy has in the last 10 years of league footy, proves that it's worth persisting with, there might be ugly games, and there might be good discussions around the edges (can Schache really ruck? If Trengove worth picking if he's only rucking a quarter or less of the game) but I think Boyd returning to the team answers that question, because you can ruck Boyd as the 2nd first ruck.

Irrespective of whether or not English is the problem of us losing games now I think that's one position that we have to cop on the chin and we'll reap the rewards when English has more experience and development under his belt and with what I've seen this year I genuinely believe that he'll eventually become a top 2, top 3 ruckman in the league.

While you guys lost to one of the poorest performing teams in recent time, we're in that position due to a drastic, voluntary list overhaul. We've brought in stacks of young talent and potential, but have been patiently waiting for it to be realised. You got us off the back of a really painful loss, and our guys were under a lot of pressure to step up their games.

On the other hand, I reckon your club/coaches/list manager have been caught out a bit by the new rules. KPP's were a bit of a novelty the last few seasons, but now they're critical. Your list is probably a little unbalanced, as it was being built to play a "modern" style, then had the rug pulled out from under it. Boyd injured and Schache still developing is salt on the wound.

Reckon you can turn it around. Bevo just needs to stop trying to be clever to get ahead of the pack, and learn from what's working for the other sides in the comp. Play the best mids in the middle, runners on the outside, forwards and backs in their respective lines. Use a second ruck. Simple footy, let the players do their thing. I think he's trying to control too much of the game, evidenced by his complaints about the reduced runner activity, when the best sides are really just trusting their players to win the ball and score.

It'll turn for you. Just like the GC loss forced our players to do some real soul searching, this loss might be the one you need for your coaches to do the same.

Mate you keep thinking it was your players and coach that were the absolute factor in your win. You couldn’t have played better, we couldn’t have been worse and if we kick straight we probably still win.

I make no excuses but your coach is WRFL div 2 quality and your players had a day out. You have had one every year for the last 3 years so I wouldn’t get too excited. If Cripps went down to a serious injury you would struggle to beat Werribee. That’s why some in here are so upset coz it shows them how far off what they thought we were. Like you we are bottom 4 and many in here judged us a final contender.

You have had 388348 years of rebuild and if I’m honest I’d probably still want our list overs yours.

Gee thanks, we already lost to the Gold Coast twice if you count the JLT, see you in September..

Not that I necessarily disagree with people raising the issues about English first rucking, in the sense that there's issues with how it helps us win games today, but with the buckets of raw potential he's showing and the fact he's doing more than any ruck his age other than Grundy has in the last 10 years of league footy, proves that it's worth persisting with, there might be ugly games, and there might be good discussions around the edges (can Schache really ruck? If Trengove worth picking if he's only rucking a quarter or less of the game) but I think Boyd returning to the team answers that question, because you can ruck Boyd as the 2nd first ruck.

Irrespective of whether or not English is the problem of us losing games now I think that's one position that we have to cop on the chin and we'll reap the rewards when English has more experience and development under his belt and with what I've seen this year I genuinely believe that he'll eventually become a top 2, top 3 ruckman in the league.

English: Ruck 60%, Forward 20%, Bench 20%
Trengove: Ruck 40%, Forward 40%, Bench 20%.

It won't really affect English's ability to learn, but means he's not being thrashed in the ruck every game. Another byproduct of having Trengove is that in instances like Sunday we could have easily switched him back, and gone with a more traditional defensive set up when it become apparent their talls were murdering us. He may be a just ok backman, but he'd do a damn lot better on Levi Casboult than Easton Wood who gives away 20cm.

Your mate sounds like a clown.

Literally zero blame should fall on English’s shoulders. He is a young ruckman who needs games. The blame lies with Bevo who has hung him out to dry. Even the best rucks in the game have a serviceable tall giving them a hand. English is just expected to carry the team alone each week.

I’m really at a loss with Bevo. The more I think about it, the more it winds me up. Libba forward? Let’s lose one of the best contested mids in the game and put him forward where all his weaknesses will be highlighted. Same with Daniel, Dunkley, Wallis, Williams...let’s neutralise all their strengths and put them in positions they are destined to fail. It’s so inept its almost a cry for help.
my mate like you and i is really frustrated by the way english is sent to the clearners. i think bevo is losing the plot or has already lost it. hope he comes to his senses. the team looks directionless, unfortunately, and everyone is feeling the same pain.

The saddest part of the day was when he put Dunkley- or no-one ? - against Kreuzer in the ruck. And Kreuzer whacked the ball forward as hard as he could . Poor fella got confused, he could have grabbed the ball and sprinted 50m if he wanted.

I know Bev doesn’t respect ruckmen, but with no 3rd man up rule he’s not respecting the opposition or us fans. A player gets pillioried for not standing the mark or shirking a tackle. A coach who doesn’t contest the ruck is disrespectful of the game.

'The Western Bulldogs' inaccuracy in front of goal is a "continual frustration", coach Luke Beveridge says.'

So pick accurate players? Lipinski kicked 8 goals straight last year before kicking his first behind which was the wet Adelaide game. His next one was after he had moved to a wing role (where he kicked 4.4 for the rest of the year, hooray versatility).

Oh, I forgot to mention the bitterest pill about that loss on the weekend.

At the beginning of the year in the AFL.com.au crystal ball one of the questions was "Which round will the Blues break their losing streak in?"

There must have been 25 people fill out that form. And almost every single one of them nominated our round for the Blues to have their first win in. This is bearing in mind that they all knew the Blues were playing GC before us. Those journos had ZERO respect for our team going into the season. And we proved each and every one of them right.

It is one thing to suck, but it is far more galling to be so predictably poor that even those afl.com.au flogs can pick it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back