News Done Deal - Savage +1st round pick for McEvoy - welcome to the Big Boy

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand this. I actually think the Saints got Longer cheaply.

Pick 8 ruckman who looks like he may live up to that pick, swapped with pick 48 for picks 25 and 41. How is that way over the odds HJ?

It seems more to me that we were keen on Longer and am sure would have provided our Buddy compo pick, which was better than what the Saints offered, but when McEvoy became free, we preferred him and left Longer hanging, having already nominated us.

Is that right?

Sounds about right to me. I reckon Hawthorn would have mentioned big boys name and expected the same reaction the Saints would have got had they mentioned someone like Cyril. When the Saints were keen I doubt Wright could sign the papers quick enough.

They did cus they were prepared to play the long game. As I said above and Ill repeat myself, Wright wasnt prepared to play the long game in the hope for getting Longer. It became a firesale at the end and from what I have seen from Big Boy at training so far this week, Im more than happy.

They did cus they were prepared to play the long game. As I said above and Ill repeat myself, Wright wasnt prepared to play the long game in the hope for getting Longer. It became a firesale at the end and from what I have seen from Big Boy at training so far this week, Im more than happy.

Thought you told me Lowden was touching up BB at training today .......AND AS WE ALL KNOW Lowden's no good !!;)

Pick 8 ruckman who looks like he may live up to that pick, swapped with pick 48 for picks 25 and 41. How is that way over the odds HJ?

It seems more to me that we were keen on Longer and am sure would have provided our Buddy compo pick, which was better than what the Saints offered, but when McEvoy became free, we preferred him and left Longer hanging, having already nominated us.

Is that right?

I believe had Franklin gone to GWS, Giles would have found his way to Hawthorn as part of a trade. Mumford was probably always going to GWS so they had no problem giving him up. Mumford did have a medical at Hawthorn so that was another option. Probably failed it or cost too much $$. Savage wanted out and given Longer was available we pursued a trade there. Savage didn't want to move and Brisbane were asking for a better pick than #18. I had heard they wanted a top 10 pick. We went to St Kilda trying to secure another pick to satisfy Brisbane and ended up with McEvoy.

Don't take it as gospel, I'm just joining the dots of what I know.

Big boy is going to make hawthorn supporters salivate. His one grab contested marking is something we are so unfamiliar with. Not long to go now and all will be revealed.
What about his ruckwork. He looks slower than hale based upon what I watched last night. Both of them in the same side will be interesting...

Thought you told me Lowden was touching up BB at training today .......AND AS WE ALL KNOW Lowden's no good !!;)

Never said he was touching him up (no doubt another one of the bedroom fantasties you have). What I was impressed with was Lowdens new found ability to now contest in marking contests. He seems to have carried this on from his VFL games late last year. Someone has finally taught him how to use his body effectively.

However this was but one day so I will reserve my judgement until I see him do it consistently. Its one thing to do it out on the ground, its another thing to do it during a game where your opponent is trying to kill you.

He definately was pretty ordinary against us in Round 20 but to get a better idea of what Big Boy can offer, watch his first 6-7 games in 2013.

He was in great form at the start of the year. Try and watch his game against Carlton in round 7 if you can. He was awesome on that day with his contested marking and around the ground work.

Pardon the intrusion. I couldn't agree more with this post. A couple of great efforts in the defensive 50 when under siege in the last quarter.

He will give his all and be useful around the ground and offer more than Bailey as a follower. The concern is his tapwork as I'm sure others have pointed out. But no doubt this could be improved.

Up the Hawks. We'll catch you guys on the way down in about 2017-18! ; )

No-one is doubting Lowden's skill, especially for a guy his size, it's his aggression and want of body contact that's my biggest concern

That is the problem though
It was at training!

No-one is trying to knock your block off at pre-season training!

I hope like hell to be eating humble pie as Lowden collects his Premiership medal, but I was with Dowler too!

pretty sure wright never offered brisbane a first round draft pick for longer it didn't get that advanced, savage was offered but as stated he didn't want to go to brisbane, i still think if mcevoy was put on the trade table a lot of clubs would of been lining up and saints could of quite easily got a top 10 pick based on his age and his performances prior to this year if he can kick 15-20 goals for us this season thats a massive win in our books and you never know hartung could turn out better then both dunstan and acres

What about his ruckwork. He looks slower than hale based upon what I watched last night. Both of them in the same side will be interesting...
He is one of the smaller ruckman going around and his tap work is inferior to Baileys just through sheer size and possibly due to no real ruck training down at St Kilda. He will be managed just like our other big men. He will be huge for us at kick ins and flooding back to help out in defence. He has a huge tank and can run all day. With the interchange cap he is the ideal ruckman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McEvoy will be huge.

He is huge.

What's more, he's the kind of Ruckman you can really work into a team system. He doesn't have the flair or ruck brilliance of a NicNat, Cox or Sandi, but his work around the ground is far superior to every slow ruckman in the game.

Apart from the North game Bailey was completely ineffective as a forward, and was only so-so as an exit strategy from defense. McEvoy is like the inverse of Bailey I think. And he'll be able to back up after an Etihad game.

Four Pillars and Leather Poisoning are pretty much spot on about McEvoy.
What would really be exciting is if Lowden took the step up to AFL footy. He is reputedly 207cm and has the size to be a great tap ruckman. We are waiting to see if he wants it badly enough.
He and McEvoy working in tandem would be interesting.

I'm excited to have McEvoy in the team but I am little more reserved than others to call him an 'A+' - for him to reach this he needs to significantly improve his ruck work. After all, that should be one of the primary outcomes to measure his performance against.

I'm not calling him A+, yet here's hoping he comes close with Monkey behind him, being at a top club and being at a prime age.
Other than Everett and Salmon (Rehn) who came late in their careers, it seems he will have a better big man presence than what we have had for a while in Simon Taylor, Robbie Campbell, Brent Renouf and Max Bailey. It is his presence, more than anything, that for me will be A+.
Looking forward to him clunking marks like catching a tennis ball

Just on the ruck work, If I was really honest our ruckman have never been anything special other than to provide a contest in the middle. There have been plenty of autopsy threads over the past year where we have won, but a lot of posters have still complained about our centre square clearances which inevitably is blamed on the ruckman.

Where I am going is, I have great faith in Monkhorst in he can make average ruckman both athletically and/or talent wise better, not necessarily by improving their skill but increasing their knowledge tactically. i.e. positioning at contests, oppositions strengths and weakness etc. McEvoy will be great for us around the ground, if his actual rucking improves 10-15% we have at least an A grade ruck. (top 4-5 in league)

Just watched rd 20 hawks v saints 1st half. Mcevoys performance absolutely disgraceful. No bailey so against hale and grimley and has been appalling. I hope he was injured or disinterested because of the coach but if not and this is his normal effort then monkey has a huge coaching challenge this preseason. Has no idea at centre bounces and gotta say his appetite for the contest is non existent. As I said I hope this is a one off...
Took my eldest bloke to Roo's Recruit footy clinic at Seaford the following day, Big Boy could hardly move and was genuinley carrying an injury. Seemed really chummy with his teammates, hence the perception of him being disappointed with being traded. Absolutely fantastic with the kids though, top bloke all round.

Took my eldest bloke to Roo's Recruit footy clinic at Seaford the following day, Big Boy could hardly move and was genuinley carrying an injury. Seemed really chummy with his teammates, hence the perception of him being disappointed with being traded. Absolutely fantastic with the kids though, top bloke all round.

Good one. That would explain the way he was moving. From what I have seen of him and the fact that Saints supporters are sorry to see him go suggests to me has always had a crack and has the respect of their supporters. So what he produced against us in that game was out of character.

Try and watch his game against Carlton in round 7 if you can.

This game was just on Foxtel. I only caught a few minutes but it gave a good indication of what we have I think. In a centre bounce he was beaten, but then made repeat efforts and ended up tackling the opposition mid with the ball to cause another stoppage. Then I stepped out and came back in as he marked miles in the clear through the middle through his running ability.

He is one of the smaller ruckman going around and his tap work is inferior to Baileys just through sheer size and possibly due to no real ruck training down at St Kilda. He will be managed just like our other big men. He will be huge for us at kick ins and flooding back to help out in defence. He has a huge tank and can run all day. With the interchange cap he is the ideal ruckman.

200cm and 98kgs makes him mid-sized rather than small doesn't it?

Other players that are 199cm - 201cm are: NicNat, Hale, Mumford, Maric, Pyke, Kruezer, Hampson, Longer, Giles, Jamar, Stephenson, Minson, Lobbe, Hudson...

200cm and 98kgs makes him mid-sized rather than small doesn't it?

Other players that are 199cm - 201cm are: NicNat, Hale, Mumford, Maric, Pyke, Kruezer, Hampson, Longer, Giles, Jamar, Stephenson, Minson, Lobbe, Hudson...
Yes and yes what i was trying to say was he can't rely on his height to get the tap like bailey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back