Scandal Elijah Taylor charged with assault of girlfriend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Na, it makes perfect sense to me. Young, immature woman feels trapped and has nowhere to go or feels like she wouldn’t be able to make it to the police without something happening to her or being able to go through with it. Not only that but the thought of having a police officer interrogate you about the abuse isn’t exactly a comforting thought either. What’s the quickest and easiest way to avoid all that and bring attention to the issue? Social media.

I’m not saying he did it. If he did do it though I certainly don’t begrudge her for going down that route.

She obviously had her phone. Text her parents to come and get her, text her friends to call the cops, text the club. He’s a second-round draft pick on 50% pay, it’s not like she’s financially dependent on him.

I’m staying out of it, it’s a non-story unless it’s found he’s broken a law.

Nobody’s shaming or discrediting anyone. If Taylor’s as violent as claimed, end the relationship and report the violence to police. Maybe she just wants to “teach him a lesson” while continuing the relationship? Posting about it to her “followers” suggests it’s more a spat than a crime.
I've had friends who reported DV to the police, and the police didn't take it seriously. I don't blame anyone for taking to social media rather than going directly to the police.

She obviously had her phone. Text her parents to come and get her, text her friends to call the cops, text the club.

I’m staying out of it, it’s a non-story unless it’s found he’s broken a law.
I think you’re probably underestimating just how scared and alone you would feel if you’re an 18 year old woman and you have just copped an almighty beating from your partner. Rational thought sometimes isn’t possible. Surely the only important thing is that she is able to get out of an unsafe environment?

“Non-story unless it’s found he’s broken a law”, lol, that’s not saying anything, and the world isn’t so black and white as that either.

I've had friends who reported DV to the police, and the police didn't take it seriously. I don't blame anyone for taking to social media rather than going directly to the police.
And I've had friends who've been reported to the police out of spite, and went through 8 months of court appearances etc to clear his namr

Until it is investigated, we can't hang Elijah out to dry, and we can't discredit the accusation either. It's hard to not take a side on such an emotive issue, but unless you are either of the two involved, or have first hand knowledge (not stories) of their interactions, you really can't start a lynch mob

And I've had friends who've been reported to the police out of spite, and went through 8 months of court appearances etc to clear his namr
Excellent. What's the relevance of this, given the context was someone insinuating this was a false allegation based on the woman not going to the police?

Until it is investigated, we can't hang Elijah out to dry, and we can't discredit the accusation either. It's hard to not take a side on such an emotive issue, but unless you are either of the two involved, or have first hand knowledge (not stories) of their interactions, you really can't start a lynch mob
Nobody is starting a lynch mob. Actually most posts in this thread condemning Taylor have included the caveat "if this is true" or similar wording. So I don't really understand why you're posting this.

Nobody’s shaming or discrediting anyone. If Taylor’s as violent as claimed, end the relationship and report the violence to police. Maybe she just wants to “teach him a lesson” while continuing the relationship? Posting about it to her “followers” suggests it’s more a spat than a crime.
You’re calling a beating a spat? Assault is a crime no matter which way you try and paint it

“Non-story unless it’s found he’s broken a law”, lol, that’s not saying anything, and the world isn’t so black and white as that either.

Maybe nothing happened. Maybe something happened and she’s emotional and embellished it. Maybe he’s a woman-beater and future killer.

The Twittersphere never resolved anything.

It’s always so simple to suggest, but the most dangerous time for a woman is when she leaves, and the police are not known for sensitive handling of domestic assault cases.

I think a couple of ground rules need to be established:

First, "Believe women" doesn't mean automatically assuming that every accusation of domestic or sexual violence is true.

It does mean that every woman has the right to tell her story and every accusation should be taken seriously and not dismissed because your mate got done over by his missus in their divorce or you read some bogus stats in an incel chatroom.

This young woman should be listened to, and these accusations should be thoroughly investigated.

Second, the fact that she apparently remained in a room/bed with him after an alleged attack doesn't take away from her story in the slightest. This idea that a woman under threat of violence can just walk out the door or call someone has been disproven time and time again.

Third, despite the above, Taylor is still entitled to a presumption of innocence.

Lastly, whilst you'll find misogynist dolts in any fan base, active on social media, I'm confident I speak for a majority of Swans fans in saying that if these allegations are proven to be true, I'd be happy for Taylor to never pull on a Swans strip again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That instagran evidence is pretty damning, if nor clear cut.

Elijah Taylor should have his contract torn up tomorrow, and de-registered from the AFL.

Absolutely no room in the AFL for dickheads who physically abuse and torment their partners/girlfriends etc.

Cannot believe aome Swans fans are defending him and victim shaming.

Domestic Violence enabling flogs 👎👎👎
Thank god instragran (sic) evidence doesn't decide legal cases.

The deliberate choice by the Swans to call him “first-year Swans player Elijah Taylor” is telling enough.

Already trying to paint him as not one of their products. Rightly so too. Get in the bin Elijah.

Maybe a bit off topic but is relevant I feel. The footy community turn a blind eye on this issue for Carey. What example is it setting when that scumbag is heralded by 7 and beamed into everyone's living rooms prime time every Friday night.

He felt sorry for the tigers pair. Guaranteed he will never be asked to comment about Elijah.

I think a couple of ground rules need to be established:

First, "Believe women" doesn't mean automatically assuming that every accusation of domestic or sexual violence is true.

It does mean that every woman has the right to tell her story and every accusation should be taken seriously and not dismissed because your mate got done over by his missus in their divorce or you read some bogus stats in an incel chatroom.

This young woman should be listened to, and these accusations should be thoroughly investigated.

Second, the fact that she apparently remained in a room/bed with him after an alleged attack doesn't take away from her story in the slightest. This idea that a woman under threat of violence can just walk out the door or call someone has been disproven time and time again.

Third, despite the above, Taylor is still entitled to a presumption of innocence.

Lastly, whilst you'll find misogynist dolts in any fan base, active on social media, I'm confident I speak for a majority of Swans fans in saying that if these allegations are proven to be true, I'd be happy for Taylor to never pull on a Swans strip again.
Absolutely , all of this.
As a Swans fan IF Elijah is found guilty , hope he is never seen anywhere in the AFL ever again. That said so far all the "evidence" is a Instagram post, so entitled to the assumption of innocent, until proven guilty.

Should be sacked this morning.

swans pride themselves on staying out of the press for negative reasons(for the most part), he hasn’t been at the club 12 months yet and he’s had 2 incidents.

he’s not worth it
Sacked because of a Instagram post? Jesus Christ, wouldn't want you as lawyer for the accused.
Let the investigation take its course, before calling for sackings.

No one here has to “presume” anything.

“presumption of innocence” is for the justice system, and everyone already understands that. There is no need to keep reminding everyone as if they don’t.

But it doesn’t apply to public opinion. This thread isn’t a court room.

One night i had a loud knock at the door, it was a young fella, who asked me to call the poliCe, because his brother was trying to kill him, seconds later his brother rounds the corner with a fence picket in each hand, and starts laying into him, at one point gathering the hose as if to strangle him.

after the police arrived and handcuffed the assailant, as he was yelling how he was going still to kill his brother, within about 5 minutes the victim started saying he didn’t want to press charges.

Very well known footy family name. DV is a bitch.

Terrible situation all round. Never is DV ok. I hope this gets a full investigation and the facts are laid out on the table, guilty or not.
Imagine how hard it would be to come out, after you’ve just been dragged through the mud by the media, and say your AFL player/celebrity boyfriend has been hurting you. Trapping you and beating you. No wonder she used social media, it’s the only way she’d be heard. Having said that, we also know that it’s a powerful way to get back at someone, and when you’re hurting, there’s not much rationality going through your mind.
But she’s opened the can of worms now, and the AFL and Police hopefully will thoroughly investigate, and then punishments be dished out. I’m not assuming guilt or innocence as I know neither of them or their stories. The Swans did the right thing and not acknowledge the rumours, giving him the assumption of innocence, or at least a chance to have his say prior to his full trial by media.
I do hope both of these kids right now are getting the help they need out of this,be that safety/education/support etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back