Preview Essendon vs Sydney, MCG, Saturday 06/07/19, 1:45 PM AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is any doubt that Smack can run a full game out in the ruck and not injure himself then Clarke has to come in for me. Smack when on is so important to us.

Out
Bellchambers, Brown

In
Clarke, Stringer

Guelfi if fit via the 2s

Crazy stat;

The last time we lost to the Swans at the MCG, Dick Reynolds was 8 years old, the patent for Kleenex was filed that day, and the 10,000m Cross Country run was held at the Olympics in 45 degree heat. The event was never run again due to athletes collapsing with heat exhaustion.

Last edited:
Going in with McKernan as the primary ruck would be a mistake.

He did well against GWS but they wouldnt have planned for him too much as TBell shoulders most of the load. A weeks worth of planning into Smack will definitely affect him as you can plan around beating the shorter ruckman by taking their jump away.

Clarke must come in, as hard as that is to fathom. Sinclair possibly out is huge.

And perhaps more importantly, Smack's advantage is he is better than the majority of 2nd rucks in the league. Provided Clarke can break even with the Sydneys ruck (presumably Knoll - how is that for sliding doors Damo), we should have a clear advantage with Smack vs Reid/Blakey/McCartin.

I'd say if an AFL ruckman needs to be told this, then they aren't really an AFL level ruckman.

Crazy stat;

The last time we lost to the Swans at the MCG, Dick Reynolds was 8 years old, the patent for Kleenex was filed that day, and the 10,000m Cross Country run was held at the Olympics in 45 degree heat. The event was never run again due to athletes collapsing with heat exhaustion.

So they're due.

Woosh, now I've given you job security [til the end of season] please get the job done.
Why you didn't pick up a spare ruckman in the draft the other week has me scratching my head, so get to work.
BUT don't get smug about it coz I've been known to change my mind.

Really feel like we need to reward Hartley's form. This would also mean that there's no need for Z. Clarke, which is lovely.
McKernan can surely hold his own in the ruck against Knoll or McLean or whichever NEAFL battler they select.
Hooker forward/relief ruck.
Francis - Blakey
Hartley - Reid
Hurley - McCartin
Redman - Hayward

Really feel like we need to reward Hartley's form. This would also mean that there's no need for Z. Clarke, which is lovely.
McKernan can surely hold his own in the ruck against Knoll or McLean or whichever NEAFL battler they select.
Francis - Blakey
Hartley - Reid
Hurley - McCartin
Redman - Hayward

Blakey is an endurance freak so Francis will have his work cut out.

Francis - Blakey
Hartley - Reid
Hurley - McCartin
Redman - Hayward

McKernan out of the forward line would be a big loss. Hooker and Hartley are not and should never be even part time ruckmen.

I'd say if an AFL ruckman needs to be told this, then they aren't really an AFL level ruckman.
Its one thing to know it, but putting it in practice without giving away a blocking free kick is a different question.

Mumford would have been expecting to ruck against TBell for the majority of his game time, and Belly isnt a jumper. I imagine Tominson and Finlayson would have done that prep as the back up rucks. Belly shoulders the ruck load the majority of the time and Mumford wouldnt have been expecting to ruck against McKernan as much. Taking away their jump is easy in theory but it can be hard when ball ups are a 360 event.

With a weeks prep and planning it would be easier to identify where Smack likes to jump from, at what angles, his timing, where he wants to tap etc. Its why its better he comes in as the second ruck, as that adjustment would take a bit of time in-game. Especially for a potential debutant in Knoll.

Knoll or whoever they include wont be nearly as daunting as Sinclair. I trust Clarke would at least break even in that matchup, regardless of what this board thinks (remembering he was actually ok vs Brisbane)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Woosh, now I've given you job security [til the end of season] please get the job done.
Why you didn't pick up a spare ruckman in the draft the other week has me scratching my head, so get to work.
BUT don't get smug about it coz I've been known to change my mind.

By all reports Michael Knoll was headed to Tulla until Sydney pinched him & as far a ruck prospects went in that draft, he was it.

McKernan out of the forward line would be a big loss. Hooker and Hartley are not and should never be even part time ruckmen.
Don't think I suggested Hartley goes into the ruck.
It's the lesser of 2 evils. Do you want Zac Clarke in the team or could we re-jig the lineup, have a more mobile side against a team with no AFL standard ruck? Might mean a few players aren't playing their ideal positions but imo it's a better structure. Stringer back helps too.

Injury update sounded good.
Ins Clarke, Stringer, Billy Idol
Out Tbell, Beguley/Brown/Zaharakis/Gleeson?
Hard to see any of the four going out. Good sign we have solid competition for best 22.

Well when has he played a good game?

He has had games this year (10games into his career coming off an ACL) where he has had an impact.
Last week he had a bad game, dropped marks, dumbly. I'm not defending his game.

However we aren't flush with options and the coaches who have tried to explain to an impatient rabid supporter base that chemistry takes time to build. They see Begs in our best team going forward, since they do and our forwardline has been our most unsettled part of the ground, keeping the young kid in to learn with the rest of the team would be the best thing both for his development and the team in my opinion.

If he has a couple of shocking games in a row sure drop him and replace him with the most promising player in our VFL team, If it was going to be anyone it would be good to see Snelling.
Constant swapping and changing is the reason the forward line is operating badly though, so i think persisting with those that are there is the smarter play.

He has had games this year (10games into his career coming off an ACL) where he has had an impact.
Last week he had a bad game, dropped marks, dumbly. I'm not defending his game.

However we aren't flush with options and the coaches who have tried to explain to an impatient rabid supporter base that chemistry takes time to build. They see Begs in our best team going forward, since they do and our forwardline has been our most unsettled part of the ground, keeping the young kid in to learn with the rest of the team would be the best thing both for his development and the team in my opinion.

If he has a couple of shocking games in a row sure drop him and replace him with the most promising player in our VFL team, If it was going to be anyone it would be good to see Snelling.
Constant swapping and changing is the reason the forward line is operating badly though, so i think persisting with those that are there is the smarter play.

Okey doke. For mine he's not been very good in any of the three games he's played and his form would warrant a visit to the twos.
I can appreciate he's coming off a knee reco and will need time, but time in the two's that won't be detrimental to his development.
Plus he might get some form that warrants selection as a result.

As for team stability, don't coaches pick and choose players based on form, not on promise? Who would know with Woosha? It won't hurt stability to move him out and someone in, that's what teams do. Josh is a developing player who needs time and I'm patient.......to a point. :p
I'd also love to see Snelling come in as he's been really good in the twos. That's what should be rewarded imo. Not someone who has promise. I want someone who's playing well.

Last edited:
Watching the Vfl game no one screamed out for promotion, stick with Begley.
Most of us have screamed out for his inclusion now some are calling for his head. Some horses run better with-out jockey's on their backs.
Let the kid get an extended run at it, same as Francis, if other clubs get hold of these two they won't be dropped every 2nd game.

Out: Begley Brown Bellchambers
In: Hartley Guelfi Stringer

Redman Hartley Hurley
Saad Francis McKenna
Merrett Clarke Shiel
Laverde Stringer Tippa
Guelfi Hooker Fantasia
McKernan Heppell Parish
Langford McGrath Zaka Gleeson

Clarke to Parker, or perhaps forward to sit on Lloyd.
Knoll should get towelled up by Smack. Reckon we can hold off on Clarke for now

Lose to a buddy-less swans twice in a season and i give up.
7 goal win please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back