"External people, including our supporters and members"

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For me Cripps' most recent comments about the members are as bad as any 'customers' comment made by the mob across the road.

Not only because of them implying that Port fans are not only not part of the fabric of the club (external) and that they are ignorant (in my experience we have some of the most knowledgeable fans in the land and have at times helped the club understand rules, restrictions and opportunities).

But also because they are the canary in the coal mine for a much larger problem of the club not listening to, engaging with or being accountable to the members.

We are NOT external. WE are the custodians of this proud club just as much as you are and chances are after you have long left we will still be here trying to ensure that we leave this club in a better position that we found it for future generations of Port members.

What can we do?

If we can't regain voting rights in the short term how else can we combine to wield Power?

I know we have supporter groups but they seem to be splintered and psychophantic.

I would love there to be PAFC members association but I can't see it getting off the ground or getting enough unity to wield any power.

How can we remind those at the club that we ARE the club. We are not external.

I can't see how cancelling memberships is going to help that and I don't want to cancel mine or the 3 I buy for my family (even though I am having trouble justifying keeping it right now).

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Nah, you’ve done a bang-up job Crippa.

From your uncontested double-fisted spoiling drills while defence coach at our lowest ebb, to your stellar list management that has given us a first team with an average age of 103.6 and key position stocks that rival Munchkinland C’s.

You’re right to put your critics in their place.

Whats the point of this thread, if you rule out the things you can do as a member to pressure the club?

Some people on this forum are more concerned about maintaining their "prime viewing seats" rather then being worried about the direction and future of the club.
Some have a belief that if they aren't members, they aren't Port supporters.

The people running the club have you suckered in nicely, and there's enough of you who are willing to part with your money in exchange for mediocre also ran bullshit in return, that they don't give a flying turd what others think or want.

Membership numbers will probably remain in the 40,000's...eventually results will pick up, they'll go their hardest to sell that as success and hype it all up, and memberships will pick up, and they'll white wash over this period as being one of stability for building for the future.

My recollection of the am paper was that cripps main point was that those outside did not have the inside information Re trade stuff. That is a trueism.
whether that degree of transparency of communication to supporters is necessary is debatable?

Let's not forget too that the team led by Cripps were full steam ahead to secure Adam ******* Tomlinson. Our only saving grace being Melbourne being Melbourne saved us from that total catastrophe.

Even putting aside how average Tomlinson is we were the Club offering the most but 'unfortunately' he rejected our advances.

Does make you question the trading philosophy were one minute we're trying to pick up a tall before the trading period, then we trade our only tall KPD after not being able to secure the tall but now it's all good because we're covered for talls according to Cripps - confusing.

They're making decisions on how it will look externally with little to no thought for the future.

This is what he have become under the leadership of the triple K's.

For me Cripps' most recent comments about the members are as bad as any 'customers' comment made by the mob across the road.

Not only because of them implying that Port fans are not only not part of the fabric of the club (external) and that they are ignorant (in my experience we have some of the most knowledgeable fans in the land and have at times helped the club understand rules, restrictions and opportunities).

But also because they are the canary in the coal mine for a much larger problem of the club not listening to, engaging with or being accountable to the members.

We are NOT external. WE are the custodians of this proud club just as much as you are and chances are after you have long left we will still be here trying to ensure that we leave this club in a better position that we found it for future generations of Port members.

What can we do?

If we can't regain voting rights in the short term how else can we combine to wield Power?

I know we have supporter groups but they seem to be splintered and psychophantic.

I would love there to be PAFC members association but I can't see it getting off the ground or getting enough unity to wield any power.

I can't see how cancelling memberships is going to help that and I don't want to cancel mine or the 3 I buy for my family (even though I am having trouble justifying keeping it right now).

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app
We are just ungrateful supporters, or external noise as they put it.

What can we do?

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app
One caveat here though. The highly respected Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley said exactly the same to the wobble supporters this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was in the car and caught some of the sport after the news and heard this.

Port Adelaide are delighted they have 2 first round picks.
Funny all this excitement by the 2 SA clubs with their first round picks and going to this mediocre draft to become Premiership teams somehow

My recollection of the am paper was that cripps main point was that those outside did not have the inside information Re trade stuff. That is a trueism.
whether that degree of transparency of communication to supporters is necessary is debatable?
I am with you on those points. The club can’t show their whole hand as that could disadvantage us.
Problem is though is that none of it makes any real sense and their explanations sound odd

Funny all this excitement by the 2 SA clubs with their first round picks and going to this mediocre draft to become Premiership teams somehow

Even the Rozee-Butters-Duursma draft wasn’t that mindblowing by league standards.

Brisbane picked up McCluggage (3), Berry (17), Witherden (23) in 2016, for instance.

You don’t hear much about that trio as a capture in isolation.

My recollection of the am paper was that cripps main point was that those outside did not have the inside information Re trade stuff. That is a trueism. ....
This is correct.

"external people, including our supporters and members" was a poor choice of words but anyone who attended the Inside Port Adelaide event in February would have got a taste of the amount of information the list management team use in making list decisions.

I'm very disappointed we traded Howard but Cripps justified this by saying that we had plenty of tall players. Is anyone surprised that under Hinkley Howard wasn't seen as a versatile and skilled player but just as a body that didn't fit the desired height profile.

Potentially we could use the BBTB campaign as a collector point for members to have their say in a much more amplified manner.

BBTB is not just about the guernsey, it's about bringing back the attitude and presence that is associated with that era.

It could work.

Potentially we could use the BBTB campaign as a collector point for members to have their say in a much more amplified manner.

BBTB is not just about the guernsey, it's about bringing back the attitude and presence that is associated with that era.

It could work.
I'm on board.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm meeting chiwigi soon to talk about where to from here so I'll table this as an idea.
The challenge will be making inclusive yet focused on maintaining the true essence of Port Adelaide.

I wouldnt want it to be history for histories sake.

Not would I want it to be over run by happy clappers.

It needs to be somehow focused on those elements of our history that made us uniquely successful.

The challenge will be making inclusive yet focused on maintaining the true essence of Port Adelaide.

I wouldnt want it to be history for histories sake.

Not would I want it to be over run by happy clappers.

It needs to be somehow focused on those elements of our history that made us uniquely successful.

I have spoken to Ben and Matthew on a coupe of occasions about this, nothing has come of it yet.

It's time we took matters into our own hands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back