Toast Fremantle's 3rd 2018 National Draft Pick: Lachlan Schultz [Pick #57]

Remove this Banner Ad

I think alot of ou small forward problem is them not being at the fall of the ball when we go forward. They tend to get sucked up the ground. This is exacerbated by the fact that the opposition midfielders get back to help before ours get forward.
I reckon we are the worst in the league at it. I have no idea how much blame is apportioned to the smalls, talls and forward entries but it is consistently dire which is why we let the ball leave our d50 so easily.

If you have a rewatch of the first quarter of the last Derby you'll see Henry not get many (any?) touches himself, but every replay will show the forward marking as Henry is swooping across the front with really good timing to collect the crumb and run on. Even the Treacy snap goal has Henry at the drop of the ball in the goal square.

He is doing fine, but you're right that we don't get enough smalls to the foot of the marking tall.

Because the Hawks offer was guaranteed. Now he depends on (a) staying healthy and (b) getting selected enough times for him to get his third year.

And we do have some form on making sure players don't reach their trigger if we don't want them too.
The trigger could be very easy to hit, but it only triggers after his 2nd year so we don't have to move him onto the main list till 2024.

The whole snag from the clubs end seemed to be keeping main list spots open for draft/trade period.

Hawks contract was more per year apparently too.

Our culture here sucks.
I find that next to impossible to believe. The whole point of having a best 25 player on the RL is you can pay them an extra 85 k outside the cap. You're telling us with an 85k head start we won't even match the yearly rate? What's your source?

I find that next to impossible to believe. The whole point of having a best 25 player on the RL is you can pay them an extra 85 k outside the cap. You're telling us with an 85k head start we won't even match the yearly rate? What's your source?
It's actually really, really common for a club to pay more to attract a player to their club.

Putting the question of Hawthorn's offer aside, the idea that having someone on the RL makes it possible to pay that particular player more doesn't really make sense. Because it's a fixed amount (unlike the proportional value that the old veteran's concession had), it makes no difference either to club or to player who it is that's on the RL. The RL concession effectively just expands the salary cap by $85k per player listed on the RL.

Its strategic value to the club lies in maximising main list spots to fill via the ND by moving good players who already have free agency into the RL. So rather than taking 3 NDs and then adding more via the RD, which are super speculative picks compared to ND selections (even later ones), you shift two or three quality players onto the RL and take 5-6 ND picks.

If it weren't for the optics, the smartest thing to do would have Fyfe, Mundy and Walters on the RL. But because that's a terrible look, you have known loyal types like Hughes and Schultz.

If you have a rewatch of the first quarter of the last Derby you'll see Henry not get many (any?) touches himself, but every replay will show the forward marking as Henry is swooping across the front with really good timing to collect the crumb and run on. Even the Treacy snap goal has Henry at the drop of the ball in the goal square.

He is doing fine, but you're right that we don't get enough smalls to the foot of the marking tall.
Does he stand to close to the contest when at the fall of the ball?

I'm not obligated to refer you to something you believe is valid.
What you said about clubs needing to pay more to get players out of clubs is reasonably common knowledge for those with the first clue about AFL list management.

Not sure stuff like this needs a good source not to mention it's been that way for years so finding one would be hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really sure 85k is a massive factor outside of having an extra 190k in the cap if you have six rookies instead of four.

Given most clubs do the above when they can it's a bit of a non factor imo.

Are Hawthorn still interested in him? Anything resembling a pick around 40 would be a win for us

Giving some real Brandon Matera vibes at the moment, plays well when the teams playing well and has a good game once a month but in his bad games we may as well be playing a player down.

Giving some real Brandon Matera vibes at the moment, plays well when the teams playing well and has a good game once a month but in his bad games we may as well be playing a player down.

Wait for the hate. When I mentioned that Schultz was average, did not have the flair of some of the best small forwards I was pulverised on here.
Bashed into submission so much so that I caved and apologised on here,

Schultz can go missing in some games, but all our smalls do. Small forward is the hardest position on the field to play, and we use four of them. It's no suprise that every week people complain about Walters, Freddy or Schultz. It's not a front runner thing that some are suggesting, Schultz couldn't touch it when we beat North by 100, but he kicked 4 absoloute clutch goals against the dee's at the G. Go have a look at some of the smalls from other teams if you really wanna see crap, like the Carlton small forwards. Our problem is we don't have class key forwards/medium forwards. Our smalls, ESPECIALLY Schultz are fine.

Yeah I’m not sure what people were expecting Schultz to do on Friday night with the way we entered the 50 combined with the lack of contest from our tall forwards.

Should have had 2 shots from the goalsquare. Umps were shocking. Small forwards on Friday night had little chance the way the ball was being delivered.

Lachie Schultz is our Paul Puopolo, we’re just missing a Cyril Rioli.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back