List Mgmt. Fyfe - Signed until 2023!!

Remove this Banner Ad

So in (my) summary to date:

• Fyfe's current contract ends at the end of 2017 where he becomes an restricted FA (correct?)
  • He has stated publicly that he intends to stay at Freo (with the proviso that he wants to give himself a good chance of a premiership i.e. if Freo is going into a 10 y rebuild, don't expect him to stay around)
  • Fyfe has also indicated that he is waiting until the player payments change mid-2017 before he will negotiate a new contract (in other words to maximise his $$ which he justifiably believes he deserves)
  • By the end of this year's trade and draft period (assuming things progress as expected) Freo will now have have the most talented (albeit young) list they have ever had by a way (and the best chance of a crack at a premiership within the next 2-5 years).
  • Freo have lost about half of their older (more expensive) players this year, and MJ, Dawson, Suban, will also likely be gone out of the cap by the end of 2017 i.e. Freo will have their own large chest of jewels to match any offer for Fyfe at the end of 2017. As one poster said above, we could've afforded Hogan and Fyfe
  • Freo are just completing what will be the best training facilities of all clubs in the country, the new Perth Stadium will soon be finished, and Freo are currently one of the four wealthiest clubs.
So what does that mean for these so called "warchest"-building clubs that will have a crack at Fyfe this year or next:

• If he is to move from Freo next year he will need (i) serious $$, (ii) a good chance of playing and winning at least one premiership in the next 5 years, (iii) be at a wealthy club with good facilities and influence, and (iv) a club that plays a good number of games in Melbourne including high profile games/Friday night games (needed to build Brand FYFE 'F7' to make it worthwhile to move). Fyfe has only shown himself to be a long term planner and will not change that for quick short term $$ that will affect his long term F7$$.
  • So, who does that leave:
Melbourne, Dogs, Saints are too poor and/or play too often at Docklands,
Carlton is certainly not going to be chasing a cup anytime the next 10 years
Collingwood fits most of the profile but they are a revolving door and for every good player they get in, they seem to lose another (or more). Too many question marks over future potential performances
Essendon and Geelong - maybe but I would think cap space would be an issue at Geelong
Richmond - Fyfe has a soft spot for Richmond. Begged them to draft him but they decided Griffiths was a better pick up the pick before. However, while they keep that coach, they are going nowhere fast while their stars like Reiwoldt just get older and closer to retirement.
Hawks - they might have a great coach but Hawthorn minus their 10 oldest and best players is not the Hawthorn other clubs have grown to fear. Hodge and Burgoyne, and Gibson will unlikely play much beyond 2017 to add to the loss of Mitchell, Hale, Lake, Roughy and others. While they will compete, they have to be kidding if they think those aging stars will just be easily replaced as shown in the straight sets exit this finals series. Today's article is just another way they are trying to save face similar to pushing Mitchell (their F&B) to WC for a younger version rather than retiring him.
North - giggle.

So, possibly, Hawks, Essendon, Geelong and Collingwood have a chance. But they have to put up far more than what Freo can afford and Freo as mentioned above will have just about cleared the decks by the end of next year and have more cap space than just about anyone and the $$ to back it up.
In view of the above, I would have to give it a 10% chance of a move to one of those 4 clubs and 90% chance of staying, and only because brand F7 could be built up so big if at a big wealthy Melbourne club playing at the MCG and in finals the next 10 years (and less travel).

Disclaimer: This is my humble opinion only based on minimal facts and largely conjecture and bias.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: This is my humble opinion only based on minimal facts and largely conjecture and bias.

It's posts like this that make me so sad for the quality of footy journalism we have to work with. Everyday I read TheAge, The West, Afl.com.au, news.com.au, etc and aside from the occasional Emma Quayle deep-dive I haven't read anything in months that could actually be classified as having insight. Description?...sure...tons of it. But as I tell my students...a 12 year old can describe...give me some actual insight and depth of thinking.

So bravo to you. You have given me a bright spot in the deep darkness that is reading about AFL.

• Fyfe's current contract ends at the end of 2017 where he becomes an restricted FA (correct?)
  • He has stated publicly that he intends to stay at Freo (with the proviso that he wants to give himself a good chance of a premiership i.e. if Freo is going into a 10 y rebuild, don't expect him to stay around)
  • Fyfe has also indicated that he is waiting until the player payments change mid-2017 before he will negotiate a new contract (in other words to maximise his $$ which he justifiably believes he deserves)
  • By the end of this year's trade and draft period (assuming things progress as expected) Freo will now have have the most talented (albeit young) list they have ever had by a way (and the best chance of a crack at a premiership within the next 2-5 years).
  • Freo have lost about half of their older (more expensive) players this year, and MJ, Dawson, Suban, will also likely be gone out of the cap by the end of 2017 i.e. Freo will have their own large chest of jewels to match any offer for Fyfe at the end of 2017. As one poster said above, we could've afforded Hogan and Fyfe
  • Freo are just completing what will be the best training facilities of all clubs in the country and Freo are currently one of the four wealthiest clubs.
So what does that mean for these so called "warchest"-building clubs that will have a crack at Fyfe this year or next:

• If he is to move from Freo next year he will need (i) serious $$, (ii) a good chance of playing and winning at least one premiership in the next 5 years, (iii) be at a wealthy club with good facilities and influence, and (iv) a club that plays a good number of games in Melbourne including high profile games/Friday night games (needed to build Brand FYFE 'F7' to make it worthwhile to move). Fyfe has only shown himself to be a long term planner and will not change that for quick short term $$ that will affect his long term F7$$.
Collingwood fits most of the profile but they are a revolving door and for every good player they get in, they seem to lose another (or more). Too many question marks over future potential performances
Essendon and Geelong - maybe but I would think cap space would be an issue at Geelong
Richmond - Fyfe has a soft spot for Richmond. Begged them to draft him but they decided Griffiths was a better pick up the pick before. However, while they keep that coach, they are going nowhere fast while their stars like Reiwoldt just get older and closer to retirement.
Hawks - they might have a great coach but Hawthorn minus their 10 oldest and best players is not the Hawthorn other clubs have grown to fear. Hodge and Burgoyne, and Gibson will unlikely play much beyond 2017 to add to the loss of Mitchell, Hale, Lake, Roughy and others. While they will compete, they have to be kidding if they think those aging stars will just be easily replaced as shown in the straight sets exit this finals series. Today's article is just another way they are trying to save face similar to pushing Mitchell (their F&B) to WC for a younger version rather than retiring him.
North - giggle.

So, possibly, Hawks, Essendon, Geelong and Collingwood have a chance. But they have to put up far more than what Freo can afford and Freo as mentioned above will have just about cleared the decks by the end of next year and have more cap space than just about anyone and the $$ to back it up.
In view of the above, I would have to give it a 10% chance of a move to one of those 4 clubs and 90% chance of staying, and only because brand F7 could be built up so big if at a big wealthy Melbourne club playing at the MCG and in finals the next 10 years (and less travel).

Stop letting the facts get in the way of a good story, that kind of reasonable talk isn't welcome on Big Footy

I would also argue Perth Stadium will be a premier ground to play at and the clubs revenue will only grow with more corporate sponsors and members and match day revenue.

In my view, I think the need/want for sustainable F7$$ after footy will result in a move to Melbourne towards the end of his career at the latest.

It seems like a lot of threads are getting gunked up with rumours of Fyfe wanting to leave as a free agent (lol) for Carlton (lolol) or other teams and opposition posters coming in to offer ridiculously unders in trade for him this year (lololol).

So this is a thread for Freo posters, and opposition posters to post their rumours, and trades, and all other things that come up this year. Feel free to laugh at trades, ponder ideas, but no being mean to each other. I'll be watching you!

Here's a picture of Freo's 2018 forward lineup to get you started:
Cuit4bqWIAA88dk.jpg:large

Clearly based on the orange trim on his boots, Fyfe is going to GWS.

Carlton, seriously? hahahaha

edit: You heard it here first. Up yours, crumpet face

You are having the best time ever trolling this thread, aren't you? Not complaining, I'm loving it....

You are having the best time ever trolling this thread, aren't you? Not complaining, I'm loving it....

Double the excitement

I don't even have to come up with my own stupid ideas either, other idiots doing the heavy lifting

Double the excitement

I don't even have to come up with my own stupid ideas either, other idiots doing the heavy lifting

Yeah, double from squirrely internet at work. Well done, IInet but its all fixed now.

I noticed where the heavy lifting is coming from. This thread is gunna be immense before it dies....

Both were only contracted for 2017, so I'm struggling to see the connection to their 2018 salary cap that a Free Agent aquired at the end of 2017 would impact.

It's Dustin Martin to Carlton btw.
The theory was that they would be able to frontload contacts to open up future cap space.

I do wonder about that Allikat , it's one thing to have oppo fans commenting but to openly invite them is another.

I think we are happy to hear differing views and not lock the thread as Carlton and Essendon board do, but to invite the nuffies who will tell us " this is what you will get ", " 2 x 1st and a player is ridiculous etc " is asking for trouble.

Maybe lose the brackets in the heading, just food for thought and delete once you have read this.
The Fyfe conversation has been happening in so many threads, and derails them all. Most of it starts from opposition posters starting with some ridiculous trade idea. This way it keeps all the s**t fights in the same thread.

Having said that, they can't just come in and start being campaigners. They still have to respect that this is the Freo board. And of course the Freo posters have to stick to the rules too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I notice Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods used the phrase

(according to) "..one of our more reliable posters".

that also popped up the other day in another thread when a Western Bulldogs supporter was talking trades.

I wonder if this like the highest standard measurement of credibility that can be to be bestowed on a fellow BigFooty member.

The Carlton rumour board thread is a big laugh riot.

Last edited:
I've notice Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods used the phrase

(according to) "..one of our more reliable posters".

that also popped up the other day in another thread when a Western Bulldogs supporter was talking trades.

I wonder if this like the highest standard measurement of credibility that can be to be bestowed on a fellow BigFooty member.

The Carlton rumour board thread is a big laugh riot.

I think they're trying to distract themselves from the likelihood of getting bent over in the Gibbs trade.
And the opposition supporters posts as well yeah

garn get fooked

In my view, I think the need/want for sustainable F7$$ after footy will result in a move to Melbourne towards the end of his career at the latest.

Is it possible that he will move to Sydney? It is the corporate HQ of the country.

P.S. Where do I get me one of those F7 lids?

Is it possible that he will move to Sydney? It is the corporate HQ of the country.

P.S. Where do I get me one of those F7 lids?
Haha i'm not even sure if there's such a product but you can guarantee every Freo supporter under the age of 12 will want one for Christmas.

• Freo are just completing what will be the best training facilities of all clubs in the country, the new Perth Stadium will soon be finished, and Freo are currently one of the four wealthiest clubs.

North - giggle.

This post needs to be pinned to the Freo home page so it can be read regularly by us all whenever we feel a little bit of Fyfe-paranoia setting in throughout 2017.

I like that most of these posts are becoming more reasonable and actual conversation can take place. That was my only intention with my first post. The picks I used in my first post were obviously too low, but it was my starting point for opening a potential scenario.
I like your optimism, but no player has ever been traded for 3 x 1st rounders. Could always be a first time though. If GC were willing and able to do that, then good luck to you guys. There's no way we could/would match that trade offer, but to suggest that he would then go to the highest bidder, is a bit wrong. The only way that happens is if Fyfe says he is happy to go ANYWHERE, but he won't. He will choose 1-2 clubs as his preferred destination and if GC isn't one of those, their offer of 3 x 1sts is off the table and no measure of what his chosen clubs would offer.

I think it would be a miracle if Fyfe was to move this late in the period with no official word of a move, but I enjoy discussing potential trades sometimes, even if it's based on rumour and innuendo.

Simple question for you would you trade Cripps for Fyfe?

Simple question for you would you trade Cripps for Fyfe?
It's funny you should mention Cripps. Have it on good authority he wants to come home, and the timeline is likely at the end of next season. Is very keen to play alongside Fyfe and Neale here at Fremantle. Have heard we are going to offer our 2018 2nd rounder, Nick Suban and Danyle Pearce which they seem confident will get it done. Does that seem reasonable Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods ? Or would we need to throw in Zac Dawson as well?

It's funny you should mention Cripps. Have it on good authority he wants to come home, and the timeline is likely at the end of next season. Is very keen to play alongside Fyfe and Neale here at Fremantle. Have heard we are going to offer our 2018 2nd rounder, Nick Suban and Danyle Pearce which they seem confident will get it done. Does that seem reasonable Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods ? Or would we need to throw in Zac Dawson as well?
Cripps is like 195cm and can't even play full forward. Would rather casboult :$

Remove this Banner Ad

Back