Traded Gary Ablett [traded to Geelong]

Remove this Banner Ad

If he cops another injury this year it wouldn't surprise me to see him retire immediately/years end, with a year to go on contract

Yep.

Even as it is, I don't really see the purpose of continuing on beyond this season. He'll be 33 years old, 16 seasons down, possibly a 300 game player (needs just 12 more) and life member at two clubs, 8-time All-Australian, 5-time AFLPA MVP, 2-time Brownlow Medallist, 2-time Premiership player, 5-time club Best and Fairest, 3-time club leading goalkicker, club captain. He's achieved more in the game than his father did, too. What is there left to prove?

He should see out his contract at Gold Coast. He went up there on big coin and thought that with all the draft picks that they would be successful. Now he has seen it isn't going to happen the way he wants it to and he wants to cut and run.

He is the best player I've ever seen play live and really enjoy watching him play. But this screams of a childish sook who wants to take his ball and go home because things aren't going his way. Especially now with Danger at Geelong and geelong being a contender.

Hopefully Gold Coast actually be tough instead of act tough unlike the O'meara deal, and ask for a ridiculous amount that makes it impossible for him to leave.

What did Mitchell get trade for? And he was playing good footy.

Motivated seller though.
Hawks needed to ditch him to get jaeger/tmitch/vickery in.

GC won't be having a firesale.

2nd rounder would be around the mark on the open market if gaz was happy to play anywhere in vic.
If he does a danger and says geelong or nowhere though... It could easily be smitch pick 80 style.

He should see out his contract at Gold Coast. He went up there on big coin and thought that with all the draft picks that they would be successful. Now he has seen it isn't going to happen the way he wants it to and he wants to cut and run.

He is the best player I've ever seen play live and really enjoy watching him play. But this screams of a childish sook who wants to take his ball and go home because things aren't going his way. Especially now with Danger at Geelong and geelong being a contender.

Hopefully Gold Coast actually be tough instead of act tough unlike the O'meara deal, and ask for a ridiculous amount that makes it impossible for him to leave.

Your criticisms might make sense if Ablett was 26 and in his prime, but he'll be 33 at year's end and nearing retirement. There's no reason for the Suns to play hard ball (as though they'll miss out on some of his best years otherwise), and there's no reason for Ablett to feel he owes them or the game anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Motivated seller though.
Hawks needed to ditch him to get jaeger/tmitch/vickery in.

GC won't be having a firesale.

2nd rounder would be around the mark on the open market if gaz was happy to play anywhere in vic.
If he does a danger and says geelong or nowhere though... It could easily be smitch pick 80 style.

In truth the comparison is slightly flawed. Mitchell was encouraged sign mid year consequently losing his FA rights.

Would a 2nd round pick be a fair trade for him? I see it as reasonable but could be wrong, he is arguably the best player of the last 50 years but will turn 34 early in 2018.

3rd rounder for me i wouldnt give a top40 pick for a 34yo even if it is ablett.

The reality is its all about the contract if we have to wear all of his 1 mil salary (if gc dont pay any of it or the afl force us to put it all in our cap) they will be lucky to get pick 80.

If they pay half or a good portion of his wage they might get a decent trade.

The reality is its all about the contract if we have to wear all of his 1 mil salary (if gc dont pay any of it or the afl force us to put it all in our cap) they will be lucky to get pick 80.

Or they just Might not trade him?

Gold Coast would be mad to let him go for a cheap trade. They're a young club with a lot of young players and yet to be defined culture, they need to make a stand that the contracts their players sign are worth more than the pieces of paper they are signed on.

Gold Coast would be mad to let him go for a cheap trade. They're a young club with a lot of young players and yet to be defined culture, they need to make a stand that the contracts their players sign are worth more than the pieces of paper they are signed on.

GC should do what ever is in their best interest. Keep him or trade him... perhaps trading him may allow them to lighten their SC and allow them to target another younger player , or put some of the Ablett money into keeping the young players they have happy and committed. If GC manage to finish top 4 and look to be on the verge of Premiership contention then there will be no trade , but if not then they may have to be pragmatic and think side structure for down the track when they will be in that position. Clever trading has helped GWS.

Last edited:

It would have to be a Lake/Cloke type deal wouldn't it ...where the contract is reneg. and extra time is added. Maybe an extra year and 2 years for 1.2 for eg.

GC should do what ever is in their best interest. Keep him or trade him... perhaps trading him may allow them to lighten their SC and allow them to target another younger player , or put some of the Ablett money into keeping the young players they have happy and committed. If GC manage to finish top 4 and look to be on the verge of Premiership contention then there will be no trade , but if not then they may have to be pragmatic and think side structure for down the track when they will be in that position. Clever trading has helped GWS.

The only salary cap problem GC have is meeting the minimum.

They can't attract anyone worth big dollars to come and play for them, plus cant keep big bucks guys like jaeger and prestia either.

They got 99 problems, but lack of available salary cap room aint one.

The only salary cap problem GC have is meeting the minimum.

They can't attract anyone worth big dollars to come and play for them, plus cant keep big bucks guys like jaeger and prestia either.

They got 99 problems, but lack of available salary cap room aint one.
That will change with success..
Also the new facilities will help as well.

Agreed, but that doesnt mean its in geelongs interest to trade high picks for a 34yo though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back