Review Geelong defeats GCS by 37 points at KP - Round 5 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL what? Our criticisms of the players are based on a long term sample of poor performance - they both have A SINGLE AVERAGE (not poor) game and you claim that the detractors are stupid? The whole point is that they need to perform consistently - we have enough players who play 1 good game in 10 already (Rohan, Menegola, Parfitt, Stanley) could go on and on.

There are too many people on this board who make the same mistake you are making now - see an average/good game and then for some reason think its going to be the new 'normal'... WRONG. The way it works is you WAIT for the performances to improve and stay at that level for a period of time and THEN claim that the player has taken his game to a new level - you don't project it forward based on a single good game because 99% of the time you are wrong as proven time and time again. Players EARN their status in the game based on long term performance.
On that basis why put Parfitt and Menegola as players who play one good game in 10? They have been playing good footy almost every week this season.

How does Parfitt compare to Allen Christensen at the same age? Both similar players with worrying injury history

It appeared a more even team effort by cats this week. No player went missing

I liked Dahlhaus game. He was covering for no Atkins so needed to be applying lots of pressure and seemed to be getting involved in critical contests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What? This is absurd. Dalhaus is a better defensive pressure player then atkins. Your post is like saying hawkins had to kick more goals this week to cover for the loss of rohan.

Especially given atkins replacement in narkle has been averaging more tackles then atkins this season anyway.

On that basis why put Parfitt and Menegola as players who play one good game in 10? They have been playing good footy almost every week this season.
They certainly aren't the worst but they haven't been consistently good either. Look at our top 6's from this year.

vs GWS: Geelong: Duncan, Stewart, Ablett, Selwood, Tuohy, Blicavs
vs Hawthorn: Geelong: Selwood, Parfitt, Stanley, Ablett, Stewart, Dangerfield
vs Carlton: Geelong: Duncan, Dangerfield, Tuohy, Narkle, Miers
vs Melbourne: Geelong: Guthrie, Menegola, Dangerfield, Selwood, Parfitt, Duncan
vs GC: Geelong: Duncan, Hawkins, Menegola, Selwood, Dangerfield, Tuohy

Duncan 4/5, Selwood 4/5, Dangerfield 4/5, Tuohy 3/5

Parfitt and Menegola both 2/5 - not consistent enough yet. Sample size also small.

They certainly aren't the worst but they haven't been consistently good either. Look at our top 6's from this year.

vs GWS: Geelong: Duncan, Stewart, Ablett, Selwood, Tuohy, Blicavs
vs Hawthorn: Geelong: Selwood, Parfitt, Stanley, Ablett, Stewart, Dangerfield
vs Carlton: Geelong: Duncan, Dangerfield, Tuohy, Narkle, Miers
vs Melbourne: Geelong: Guthrie, Menegola, Dangerfield, Selwood, Parfitt, Duncan
vs GC: Geelong: Duncan, Hawkins, Menegola, Selwood, Dangerfield, Tuohy

Duncan 4/5, Selwood 4/5, Dangerfield 4/5, Tuohy 3/5

Parfitt and Menegola both 2/5 - not consistent enough yet. Sample size also small.
Um there is less then a 25 percent chance of being in the top 5. 2/5 is above average.

You have to take into account the fact they are mids who therefore a more likely to feature in the top 5-6 players since they are around the ball way more often.
If they were centre square mids yes. But menegola basically never goes in there now. Permanent flanker. Makes it much harder.

Parfit does go in the centre square but he missed a game. So he is 2 out of 4. 50 percent.

I like to see Blitz play more down the wing or burst out of defence more and use his athleticism to our advantage i.e Issac Smith style.
He's not a natural defender.

He can run all day... and thats where it all stops.
Can't kick for nuts neither can he handball. Well at least without the hamster working overtime in his head.
His football nous is at about 3 outta 10.
He isn't a natural defender yes u r correct.
But he's that more far away from being a winger/on baller as we saw when Chris asked that of him during our finals exit last year.
He can stop a mobile big man on his day and thats about it.
Cheers!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know how the draft will work this year? There’s not a whole lot of games for talent scouts to check out!
They're doing a 5 week series in Aug-Sep with a 6th week of finals for Vic kids. Highly likely this gets rescheduled but the draft will still happen.

WAFL/SANFL unaffected so kids like Thilthorpe and Granger-Barrass should have plenty of opportunity to showcase.

Should be noted that porky Steven had 17 and a goal while Narkle had just 11 touches.
Another poor game for him.

We've had people on here saying Narkle deserved to be dropped when he was 'only' averaging 20 touches a game. Meanwhile Rowell had been averaging 21 🤔. Not hard: shorter quarters fewer touches, 20 is the new 30, 30 the new 40.

Have a look at the first five minutes of the last quarter and see what Narkle did at the clearances. Mids are being 'rested'/kept back quarter by quarter. It's a significant improvement in Narkle's fitness that he's the now one of the mids being kept to run out the fourth. He got dropped, had to get fit to get back in.

Contrastingly ... Stephen had a few fairly panicked touches, and little that was effective until it was all over. (When he kicked that goal he looked like the happiest man in the world - hints at why he is being picked.) Whether or not it's a good investment of games to be trying to instill confidence and fitness into a 30-year-old by selecting him ... for him, yes; for the team ... too early to say....

Still cannot understand why he is carrying a bit after what was effectively a seven-month preseason.

We are not winning the flag this year or next. We are a long way from actually ever being a legit premiership contender.
We may as well use this time to blood young players.
Last thing we need is another old and aging list heading into 2021 and beyond. We are carrying a lot of 29-30 yr old's who have either stagnated or have 18 months of good footy left in them at most.

It's actually good to see Fort get a go.
Stanley is a bust. He should only get a game if injury occurs.
Ratugolea should be persisted with.
Let's drop Ablett, who needs to managed due to age, and let's bring in Constable next week.

Umm, but Ablett isn't an inside mid ... won't help Constable to be thrown up forward...

I just call it reality - I have no issues with our supporters calling all our players the next big thing but don't start calling supporters stupid and waving your flag around for actually stating the truth. The stupid ones are those who project fantasies in their heads about how good our players are when reality clearly shows us that is not the case. I pump our players up when they deserve it - eg Selwood, Ablett - these are the guys who deserve pumping - not inconsistent spuds like Stanley. The reality of our situation is that most of our younger players are not great - we depend way too much on the older blokes.

That’s incredible

So let me get this right the posters on this board are stupid for being encouraged by good performances and being excited for the players and club. No suprise really from you when you have stated you’re smarter than everyone else and that your opnion is the only truth out there.

Last edited:
Hawkins looks a millions dollars playing as a CHF opposed to being statinary inside the forward 50. He was our best player yesterday.

Duncan should be winning our B&F. Another top notch game ... such a classy player.

I was impressed with O'Connor again. He's improving rapidly.

I'll say it again ... there's no room for all of Taylor, Blicavs, Kolodjashnij and Henry in the defensive 50. At least one of them needs to make way for a runner and it has to be Clark given he's the only option we have.

Whilst it was a good win in the end we're still miles of a serious premiership tilt and merely making up the numbers.

We need Cockatoo back in that side and we need Constable to apologise to Scott for whatever it was he said or did that offended him.

He is overvalued, a tease and would be better served as bait

I don’t agree with this at all. Based on this seasons games, I believe Parfitt is now the best tackler in the team (which is something the rest of our midfield options are not particularly strong at).
If you don’t carry a few strong tacklers into finals you get exposed when the pressure is on. He is also still improving so it’s possible he could end up being even more important to us.

That’s incredible

So let me get this right the posters on this board are stupid for being encouraged by good performances and being excited for the players and club. No suprise really from you when you have stated you’re smarter than everyone else and that your opnion is the only truth out there.
Strong word twisting. I was making a point to the poster calling us idiots for suggesting a lot of our younger players were overhyped and not performing consistently. He was jerking off about how great Esava played and how we were stupid for suggesting he has been struggling (he has - thats a fact). The reality is we should not be jerking our players off after a single 'ok' game - wait until they do it consistently like Stewart managed last year. I have nightmares over all the jerking Stanley has been getting over the years after single good performances - that he never backs up or then gets injured again.

Weird reaction to that incident...

Well he did take out the oppositions best player, which helped us. Wasn’t deliberate though, just unfortunate.

Considering both Krueger and Jenkins are injured it won’t happen.
Also thought Rohan was good tonight

Since when is krueger injured? Seen the clubs posts on ig and he has been in them at training.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back