Review Geelong defeats GWS by 35 points and get into a Prelim.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at this yesterday by chance. He has clearly the worst finals winning % of all coaches that have coached as many or more finals.
Two pretty interesting things out of that: the comparison with Buckley and Longmire and the fact there's the only two coaches ahead of him on number of finals played who did so in the equalisation era, and they're both no longer coaching (I guess temporarily for Clarkson).

Jed Bews continues his progression as a player and has become very important for us with his skill level and willingness to take the game on.

I still can't believe there were calls for him to be dropped.

I am not thrilled after that performance. As others have observed, we did what we needed to but it's hard not to think we will trip at the next hurdle.

The game played out pretty much entirely as we expected. We got on top in the midfield, winning the "bellwether" contested possessions stat, gave Hawkins and Cameron a good look at it and that was enough to overpower a weakened opponent. But we were far from our best. We still made heaps of poor decisions and skill errors that we weren't making earlier in the year when we were flying. Inside 50s were actually even but we had too much fire power.

I thought Tuohy was huge, giving us enormous drive off half back that we have been lacking.

Hawkins towered up Taylor, exacting revenge from their previous encounter. His body use and kicking was much improved and the delivery inside 50 was also to his advantage which makes all the difference.

Isaac Smith was back near his earlier season form. Stanley continued a good run of games. Jack Henry continued his ascent as a player.

There's not much reason to get excited about our chances next week. It will take some amazing improvement across the board. But we are in it again and that's a start.
Isn't it all about peaking on the right day?
We are yet to peak.
But agree with you- it's going to be a big ask next week.
I hope we can do what Pies did to Tigers in 2018 prelim. Just go for it. Every player playing at their potential. But can not see how we control Petracca, Oliver, May and Lever.

Our best performance in a month should have won by 60+.

Still not confident enough in us to beat Dees.
Fair enough, but it was 2 weeks ago that we sliced the Demons open in the 2Q.

Jed Bews continues his progression as a player and has become very important for us with his skill level and willingness to take the game on.

I still can't believe there were calls for him to be dropped.

Was very good last night. Nullified his opponent and provided some good forward movement. First game for years without kicking it out on the full? (Optus must have wide wings!)

Stanley set that win up in the first half. Played a very good game overall.

Needs more love. #2 ranked player on the ground. Get around him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He's in some great form. Last 5 matches:

Spanked Briggs
Spanked Marshall
Spanked Gawn for 3 quarters (then got spanked in the last tbf)
Ok against Lycett
Spanked Mumford

He's also proving to be a pretty reliable finals performer.

He's in some great form. Last 5 matches:

Spanked Briggs
Spanked Marshall
Spanked Gawn for 3 quarters (then got spanked in the last tbf)
Ok against Lycett
Spanked Mumford

He's also proving to be a pretty reliable finals performer.
I wouldn't hold the last quarter fade out against Gawn too harshly. I mean Gawn himself got spanked by nic Nat in the last quarter the other day too.

Isn't it all about peaking on the right day?
We are yet to peak.
But agree with you- it's going to be a big ask next week.
I hope we can do what Pies did to Tigers in 2018 prelim. Just go for it. Every player playing at their potential. But can not see how we control Petracca, Oliver, May and Lever.
I think we peaked about 6 weeks ago.

I think we peaked about 6 weeks ago.
Second wind then.
We need a second wind.
It's possible.
Losing KEY players each game we play is not part of the deal- not the way to make a GF.
But at least we have Duncan and Tuohy back.
And Danger is at least attracting a key player to tag him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Opposite to me. Don't rate GWS and they looked cooked against Sydney.

I worry our midfielders are out of form and don't have the depth of Melbourne
Agree.
GWS looked gone in that last quarter v Swans, and our MF depth is really on the line.
But, Last night Guthrie and Menegola were IN FORM.
Danger was hampered, but potent near the end.
Selwoods- hoping he has 2 more games in him.
Losing Parfitt - that will be costly I think- don't see a great replacement for him- his tackling and overall involvement.
It's a huge knockout final, but we have to hope somebody like Simpson can come in and really perform.

Two pretty interesting things out of that: the comparison with Buckley and Longmire and the fact there's the only two coaches ahead of him on number of finals played who did so in the equalisation era, and they're both no longer coaching (I guess temporarily for Clarkson).
The bunching around 50% also stands out and makes intuitive sense. It also implies Scott has “underperformed” by about ten percentage points which works out to about 2-3 finals which again seems about right to me.

Second wind then.
We need a second wind.
It's possible.
Losing KEY players each game we play is not part of the deal- not the way to make a GF.
But at least we have Duncan and Tuohy back.
And Danger is at least attracting a key player to tag him.

How much does Tuohy mean now with Stewart sidelined for the finals, was massive for us last night, also big Blitz able to take a big body forward to help Hendo was also a massive need allowing Henry the intercept, the backline looked almost back to best again.

Menegola as a contested mid and Higgins to wing is probably the only option.

It is not perfect, Menegola lacks the quick step of the demons mids. He does have a big body at least.

Narkle has the quick step and brain, but is his head still in it at Geelong and do they have any faith in him?

Highly doubtful.

Holmes will attend more centre bounces, which is fine.

4. I’ve read some criticism of Ratugolea. I don’t rate the guy highly but he’s at best the 3rd string forward - more realistically the 4th - and an occasional ruckman. If we get a goal or two and a few contested marks out of him in a game where Cameron and Hawkins are getting a lot of ball, that’s a result I’ll settle for.
He's still young, Hawk wasn't that reliable either until 5 years into his career (and due to his back injury, we didn't really start getting his prime til 2014-2015).

What he will do (hopefully) is keep one of Lever or May occupied. With 3 big forwards down there at all times, they have to be accountable. Hopefully we can exploit some mismatches if they want to play Lever/May on a small like Aliir did last week.

How much does Tuohy mean now with Stewart sidelined for the finals, was massive for us last night, also big Blitz able to take a big body forward to help Hendo was also a massive need allowing Henry the intercept, the backline looked almost back to best again.
Tuohy and Bews need to be running past Henry as much as possible when he intercepts the ball. Henry isn't nearly as good as those two, or Stewart at picking the right moments to play on. Run past, dish the handball off and off we go. Worked well last night.

He's still young, Hawk wasn't that reliable either until 5 years into his career (and due to his back injury, we didn't really start getting his prime til 2014-2015).

What he will do (hopefully) is keep one of Lever or May occupied. With 3 big forwards down there at all times, they have to be accountable. Hopefully we can exploit some mismatches if they want to play Lever/May on a small like Aliir did last week.

Hawkins was also going to go no.1 had we not got him as a F/S.

We got Sav pick 43 in 2016. Sav has already shown some amazing ability and even better potential for a guy that was a late pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back