Review Geelong defeats Lions by 27 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't see it coming at half-time! just shows what we are capable of when we take the game on, helps when the opposition doesn't provide any resistance through.

Dangerfield turning it on, he changed the game for us in that third quarter!
Blitz excellent down back! doesn't get much of the ball but he sure knows how to read the play better than anyone out on the field.
Ablett just doing Ablett things.
Simpson wow! looks like we've found another gem!

All in all a brilliant night, Bring on the Eddie McGuire Football club next week!

Very, very gutsy win from the boys tonight.

Seriously impressed with Simpson. That boy can play. Hats off to Dangerfield for his return to form - time away from home might be helpful. Hats off also to Menegola who has made a real impact these past few weeks. Rohan played with the ferocity we saw from him early last year and it paid dividends.

Performances like this make you believe again.

You were one of the few stated optimists early game, so belief was yours to build on.

Well the ones who watched Simpson in the VFL are not surprised he was a big improver last year
This.. been saying he had it for a few years... When he was kept on list and given a spot again many had no clue why...

He's worked his arse off and tongiht shows it

Go CAtters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I predicted we'd lose this game by 4-5 goals. In fact, was as confident as Larry (whatever that means).
I happily eat crow.

That was one of the best performances I have seen from this team for at least two seasons. To be down two players early and to put on that kind of display against a quality opponent . . . it is games like that which make me confused because why can't they bring that in September???
Why can't we nullify the oppositions best players and hunt the ball like a pack of wild dogs in finals?
Unbelievable win.

Ablett, what more can you say! His third quarter was immense. Not sure how many touches he had but it seemed like whenever he got the footy, we scored.
Rohan was also solid against top quality defenders. I'm a massive critic of Rohan but that was a consistent four quarter game.
Parfitt is improving and Ratugolea is showing signs he will make it and become a player.

I'm not sure what to make of that other than it was extremely watchable and enjoyable.

Honestly, even early in the game when we were down on the scoreboard I thought we looked more intense than we usually do.
After the loss to (I think) Carlton, Chris Scott talked about that extra attention to detail that often proved so vital in establishing dominance over an opposition. I think he would have been content on that front tonight, despite some sloppy execution early on.

The Lions did have a strong patch in the first half, but I thought they were aided by some marginal umpiring decisions at times - and they're good enough that they don't need that kind of assistance.

Scott may look for the team playing that 'extra 6 inches' closer to their opponents, but what I saw was a team that didn't seem so hung up on their Process and instead played with passion and dare. The 'process' part of their game must be ingrained by now anyway, surely - the instinctual has been sacrificed and neglected on the road to drilling the predictable percentage plays into this squad, but tonight the 22 (or 20) got back in touch with their ability to play the game without rigidity.

Lauding individuals is a bit counter-intuitive in a win like this; we needed all 20 players to contribute significantly tonight, and they did to a man.
Nevertheless there were some stand-out efforts.

- I didn't think Darcy Fort had any future as an AFL footballer at the conclusion of 2019, and yet he has shown over the past few weeks that he wants it. I suspected Stefan Martin might intimidate him tonight, but Fort continually worked for position at the throw-ins and buttered up effectively at the centre bounces.

- I've said before that the margin between a good Gary Rohan game and a bad Gary Rohan game is as thin as a cigarette paper; tonight he caused all sorts of mischief, even managing to get himself booked. I haven't seen acceleration like his in the hoops since Wojak.

- Cam Guthrie was huge in the 3rd quarter and a big part of our change in fortunes.

- Sam Menegola and Mark Blicavs, often lauded for their fitness and yet questioned for their nous, showed that - occasionally - a surplus of the former can supply a lack in the other. Both were able to approach contest after contest without the specture of fatigue affecting their execution or decision-making.
Menegola looked positively serene out there at times, wandering around absent-mindedly with ball in hand yet finding targets and gaining meters all the while. Loovs a goal.

- Sam Simpson started the game looking like he hadn't played at the level for 2 years, but was really solid in the 2nd half and looks in very good nick. Kudos.

- The backline looked as cohesive as it has all year against a dangerous Brisbane attack; all our defenders took their turn in absorbing pressure and then providing some rebound. Harry Taylor had Eric Hipster under control, Bews contained a brooding Cameron.

By the end of the game the Lions looked thoroughly shaken by our pressure, they were fumbling and jumping at shadows.

I've enjoyed the Ch7 crowd effects for the most part; made a huge difference after the ghostly round 1 silence - tonight was a bit incogruous for the first half; I couldn't quite buy that these two teams would draw an ANZAC-day like crowd.
As the team piled on the pressure and the goals started to pile up in the third quarter though, the canned roar could not have more accurately reflected the stirring of a love for the game buried deep within this jaded old fan.
Well structured points - nice work. Don't agree with it all but most of it was spot on and insightful. Go Cats

Talk about a regulation pumping.

Thought we'd lose this one for sure. But my betting account is very happy now at double odds on the cats. Sometimes don't bet with the head and just bet with the heart. Or dont gamble too, but everything in life is a risk I suppose... ;)

I really thought pre-match and even the start of the match that Sam Simpson isn't up to AFL standard. Turns out he has the most possessions of the match, though some weren't that clean, still he did a lot better than I anticipated. kudo's to him.

Narkle and Duncan, and Rohan on report hurts our chances next week and especially on the bigger grounds, though Pies have their issues too it seems. The early wins this season are crucial, its only 11 games left in the season!

That was the best game I've seen the boys play in a long time. They were relentless at the ball and on the back of that, they won the game. They really sounded a warning to the competition tonight, write the Cats off at your peril. Simpson was fantastic and should keep his spot. All the players contributed during the match. I hope the Catters come with that attitude and work rate next week against Pies.

Simpson has never impressed me any time I've seen him in the AFL or the VFL. Tonight was easily the best I've ever seen him play. I'll be curious to see if he can build on it and if so, whose spot in the side he takes when everyone is available.

He was clean by hand and foot, and very calm under pressure.

We have found some young blood that can do the job I reckon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back