Preview Geelong vs Bulldogs, Friday 18 June GMHBA @ 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missing Dunkley and Treloar I think the dogs struggle. They don't have enough height in attack to cause match up issues in defence, and if we can get enough ball in there I think our forward line will literally rip the dogs defenders to bits. After a break, with the named team... Could see this being a smashing. Tight start and then just blow them open. O'Connor to Bont, Danger/Parfitt tacking turns on Libba.

Missing those 2 should have us heavy favourites, unless Cameron misses.
I cannot see their defence stop our big 3 forwards kicking a winning score so long as our midfield atleast breaks even, and without the 2 above I can't see that not happening now.

To be fair to those who seem so optimistic. They have clearly been better than us so far this year and for a large part without the two midfielders mentioned. Just don't see why we should be strong favs. They are a gun team. Maybe the best performed team in the comp so far so I expect this to be a massive struggle if we turn up at our best let alone if we don't

He’s been named in the VFL TEAM THOUGH!

Named in the VFL team and actually playing VFL are 2 different things

All emergencies, including the eventual medical sub will be named in the initial VFL - what's more important is to see who actually lines up in the VFL tomorrow afternoon and then who's the medical sub tomorrow night

The fact that Higgins is named as an emergency means that the club believes he's ok to play should he be required but if he can have the weekend off from the football, than that's the ideal result - if he was omitted to the point of needing to work on something in the VFL, well there's 18 senior listed guys currently named in the VFL which would have made it easy to select 14 names other than his

Though Higgins may well end up being the medical sub tomorrow night for a couple of very simple reasons:
- it does present the club with the opportunity to manage him this weekend
- it then presents the opportunity for his 17 senior teammates named in the VFL to actually play in the VFL, especially as tomorrow will be 30 days since the vast majority of those 17 last played a match, which is probably important for those fringe guys to show some match fitness and then push for selection

To be fair to those who seem so optimistic. They have clearly been better than us so far this year and for a large part without the two midfielders mentioned. Just don't see why we should be strong favs. They are a gun team. Maybe the best performed team in the comp so far so I expect this to be a massive struggle if we turn up at our best let alone if we don't

For me it's because our strengths correlate to their weaknesses, powerful tall forwards, and we have a deep enough midfield that can win their fair share of the ball to ensure that forwardline ample opportunities against a pretty weak backline. On top of that I feel our own backline sets up well against their attacking options.
Our weakness or possible question mark over the game would be if we fall behind through the middle and cannot find our way back in, that's really the only way they would beat us.

Have they really been that much better than us this year?

I get that they've got the best percentage in the league, but they lost to the Tigers who ran over the top of them back in round 7. Then against Melbourne in round 11, they were never closer to the Demons than they were at the opening bounce

As for being strong favorites, well the Bulldogs haven't won at KP since 2003 and while they look an improved outfit this year we aren't looking too bad ourselves, we're currently on a 5 game winning streak and playing at home - move the game to Marvel and that may well change who is the favourite in the eyes of the bookies

For me it's because our strengths correlate to their weaknesses, powerful tall forwards, and we have a deep enough midfield that can win their fair share of the ball to ensure that forwardline ample opportunities against a pretty weak backline. On top of that I feel our own backline sets up well against their attacking options.
Our weakness or possible question mark over the game would be if we fall behind through the middle and cannot find our way back in, that's really the only way they would beat us.

Isn't it supposed to be wet though?

Have they really been that much better than us this year?

I get that they've got the best percentage in the league, but they lost to the Tigers who ran over the top of them back in round 7. Then against Melbourne in round 11, they were never closer to the Demons than they were at the opening bounce

As for being strong favorites, well the Bulldogs haven't won at KP since 2003 and while they look an improved outfit this year we aren't looking too bad ourselves, we're currently on a 5 game winning streak and playing at home - move the game to Marvel and that may well change who is the favourite in the eyes of the bookies

Haha come on a lot of common sense points there but these statistics about teams not having won somewhere are ridiculous when measuring the current sides. When during that period would they have been considered a stronger side at the time (maybe never). What does a result 3 year ago longer have to do with tomorrow night at all? The sides become way too different to draw any meaningful conclusions. Its like a more sane version of premier league pundits saying one club hasn't beaten another in 57 years and you find out they've met once hahaha

Anyone that makes it to AFL best 22 deserves some respect, Zuthrie does his role he’s a good solider to have.
Reminds me of David Johnson a bit. Players like zac are good back up players to have that are mature and can hold down a respectable job in a top side. They don’t have a place on lists that are rebuilding thought or down the bottom

Haha come on a lot of common sense points there but these statistics about teams not having won somewhere are ridiculous when measuring the current sides. When during that period would they have been considered a stronger side at the time (maybe never). What does a result 3 year ago longer have to do with tomorrow night at all? The sides become way too different to draw any meaningful conclusions. Its like a more sane version of premier league pundits saying one club hasn't beaten another in 57 years and you find out they've met once hahaha

The sides we play may have different personnel but our home ground advantage is undeniable across the win/loss records.
Ergo, dogs are more likely to lose.

The sides we play may have different personnel but our home ground advantage is undeniable across the win/loss records.
Ergo, dogs are more likely to lose.

Sure, but by your theory, as long as Geelong were good at home, the dogs could have a winning record here over the last 20 years and it would still make us more likely to beat them tomorrow night because of our home ground advantage.

Reminds me of David Johnson a bit. Players like zac are good back up players to have that are mature and can hold down a respectable job in a top side. They don’t have a place on lists that are rebuilding thought or down the bottom

David Johnson was tough though. He was just slow and was always found out when zippy players decided to take him on.
He always went in like Rooke and Chappy.

Zuthrie reminds me more of Tim Callan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure, but by your theory, as long as Geelong were good at home, the dogs could have a winning record here over the last 20 years and it would still make us more likely to beat them tomorrow night because of our home ground advantage.

In reality, like many, they don't. That's the point the data shows us.

What's the mail on Cameron? Why are some people suggesting he will be a late out?
He was legged in the Port game.

But on the AFL site yesterday the headline was “Star Cats recruit out”. My immediate thought was Jezza. Alas it was no real star

Anyone that makes it to AFL best 22 deserves some respect, Zuthrie does his role he’s a good solider to have.

Soldier is about it, there's no dynamic about him whereas Narkle is the polar opposite.
Narkle could be great, Zuthrie meh!...play Narkle every time for me, why do they always err to the negative at Geelong? Play safe!!!
Negative Nancy"s that's why.

Soldier is about it, there's no dynamic about him whereas Narkle is the polar opposite.
Narkle could be great, Zuthrie meh!...play Narkle every time for me, why do they always err to the negative at Geelong? Play safe!!!
Negative Nancy"s that's why.
They don’t play the same position

Every side is flat out trying to execute gameplans based on increased forward pressure. The idea of prioritising attack over forward defensive pressure is outdated it died 10 years ago.
I would add though at the port game I was really impressed by Parfitts closing speed and defensive pressure which has gone up a notch I think. I really liked his chase on Aliir for example that turned into a goal. He'll start to get pinged for pushing in the back when players kick though as there were a couple that were borderline I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back