Geelong: why are they just not good enough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know how anyone would know this considering we have only really had two solid seasons of trying to develop any, and for the majority of that time most of the players most likely to achieve anything have been injured
He’s been coach of Geelong since 2011.
That’s eight years of excuses right there why he hasn’t been able to develop junior talent.

Exactly right. I look at them and Richmond or even the Swans (until recently) who have had success against them and I think it's fairly obvious why.

The Tigers have star players but they've also got blokes like Butler, Rioli, Castagna, Graham, Edwards etc who fly under the radar a bit but are playing their role each week, all buying into Dimma's gameplan.

If they're smart about it they could probably improve things quickly. Didn't take the Tigers long at all to find Rioli, Butler, Castagna, Graham etc.

I question though if Chris Scott has the ability to build a team this way though. He's been very reliant on Selwood and a few over the years and now Dangerfield and a few.
Problem is, Chris Scott can’t develop younger players.

He’s been coach of Geelong since 2011.
That’s eight years of excuses right there why he hasn’t been able to develop junior talent.

And we've had an older squad of champion players for most of that time and and been focused on contending. Why would he have spent 8 years focusing on developing junior talent in that scenario?

Ib4 the Kane Cornes hate comments by the Cat suporters

Well * me what a stupid comment to make.

It takes how long, an hour or so sitting at the laptop one night to I set a costume?

'Sorry coach I can't make it to our video session today because I've got to spend 30 seconds entering my Pay Pal details to a costume website.'

Seriously what a ridiculous claim.

Did Menegola hit the post because he was worried about his Russell Coigt hat?

And we've had an older squad of champion players for most of that time and and been focused on contending. Why would he have spent 8 years focusing on developing junior talent in that scenario?
So you don’t end up where you are now, relying on the same old players to get you up in games without the support.

So you don’t end up where you are now, relying on the same old players to get you up in games without the support.

If you do that you concede that you probably can't win. We've been to three prelims since 2011 so despite our insipid efforts in two of them it has indeed kept us in contention.
It is virtually impossible to do both - people will probably point to Clarkson but even he has had to rely heavily on bringing in players from elsewhere.

If you do that you concede that you probably can't win. We've been to three prelims since 2011 so despite our insipid efforts in two of them it has indeed kept us in contention.
It is virtually impossible to do both - people will probably point to Clarkson but even he has had to rely heavily on bringing in players from elsewhere.
Yeah Clarkson brought players in and developed his own. Burton, Worpel, Hardwick, Sicily, Howe, Shiels, Smith, Bruest, Roughead, Stratton, Puopolo and Stratton, Nash all developed by him from last weeks game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah Clarkson brought players in and developed his own. Burton, Worpel, Hardwick, Sicily, Howe, Shiels, Smith, Bruest, Roughead, Stratton, Puopolo and Stratton, Nash all developed by him from last weeks game.

Abbott, bews, Blicavs, Guthrie, Henry, kelly, kolojdadshnij, Menegola, Murdoch, O'Connor, Parfitt and Stewart all debuted under scott of the players the other night. That's exactly the same amount of players you named for Clarkson! (You wrote Stratton twice). And four of them - Roughead, Smith, Breust and Shiels - debuted before Scott even started coaching!

Abbott, bews, Blicavs, Guthrie, Henry, kelly, kolojdadshnij, Menegola, Murdoch, O'Connor, Parfitt and Stewart all debuted under scott of the players the other night. That's exactly the same amount of players you named for Clarkson! (You wrote Stratton twice). And four of them - Roughead, Smith, Breust and Shiels - debuted before Scott even started coaching!
Stewart, Menegola, Kelly and Abbott were mature agers that came into the club.

Of the rest, you would have to say that Blicavs is the only one that has progressed to a decent level.

Chris Scott has a poor track record developing junior players.

Need some speed- anyone available?

Spot on. Bit slow and don't apply enough pressure. That's what wins finals atm. S. Selwood, Menzel, Taylor, Henderson etc...Those types are to slow. Henry should stay in the backline ahead of Taylor. Henderson I'd keep. With Narkle, Jones and Cockatoo back in the forward line they will be heaps quicker. Rats, cunico and Fogarty back in the team aswell.

It's not all doom and gloom for next year. They were just carrying to many plodders for most of this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back