Certified Legendary Thread GEELONG WINS 2022 GRAND FINAL BY PLENTY

Remove this Banner Ad

WE WON THE FLAG! STILL PUMPED!

Happy Season 2 GIF by Sony Pictures Television

What's everyone's thoughts on which Grand Final commentaries were the best? I assume everyone's listened to most of them!

Here's my ranking:

1. SEN (Huddo and Whateley are unrivalled at what they do and as you would expect they called all the big moments really well. Kane Cornes was good too with his forthright opinions as Huddo and Whateley's support act. In general though I feel special comments play a less prominent role on SEN than other stations tbh, with the callers being more dominant, which I enjoy when the callers are as good as this duo. This is definitely going to be the commentary I listen to any time I watch the game again in the future).
2. 3AW (Even though this wasn't Tim Lane at his absolute best, he was still a true pro as usual. What's more, 3AW had easily the best special comments team of any of the radio calls. Lloyd, Matthew and Bartel is a quality group).
3. ABC (I enjoyed Wheeldon and Middlemas a lot, but ABC loses points due to Mick Malthouse, who should have retired YEARS ago)
4. K Rock (Benny and Tom did a good job and you've got to love the Geelong bias, but there's something about the K Rock audio mix I don't like to much compared to the SEN audio mix, for instance. Not sure what it is lol).
5. Triple M (Triple M's unabashedly blokey vibe works best when their main caller is someone like Brian Taylor or James Brayshaw (guys who suck as TV callers but work well as radio callers), to bring that "late 2000s to mid-2010s era Saturday Rub" vibe. Otherwise you just have a bunch of guys who aren't a natural fit for the Triple M sensibility trying too hard to force it, and it doesn't really work. Mark Howard and Nathan Brown being major examples of this. Howard's voice is annoying and I wasn't impressed with his Grand Final call).
6. Channel 7 (I was at the ground to watch the game so didn't know until I watched the replay how bad the TV call was. The Channel 7 call was a disgrace. Absolutely ZERO energy to it whatsoever. As I mentioned above, Brian Taylor sucks as a TV caller.....but even by his TV calling standards, his commentary was awful. It was obvious throughout that he was unenthused by the idea of us winning. Futhermore, Luke Hodge and Daisy Pearce both have nails-on-a-chalkboard voices too, which made Seven's call even worse to listen to. Not good!).

What's everyone's thoughts on which Grand Final commentaries were the best? I assume everyone's listened to most of them!

Here's my ranking:

1. SEN (Huddo and Whateley are unrivalled at what they do and as you would expect they called all the big moments really well. Kane Cornes was good too with his forthright opinions as Huddo and Whateley's support act. In general though I feel special comments play a less prominent role on SEN than other stations tbh, with the callers being more dominant, which I enjoy when the callers are as good as this duo. This is definitely going to be the commentary I listen to any time I watch the game again in the future).
2. 3AW (Even though this wasn't Tim Lane at his absolute best, he was still a true pro as usual. What's more, 3AW had easily the best special comments team of any of the radio calls. Lloyd, Matthew and Bartel is a quality group).
3. ABC (I enjoyed Wheeldon and Middlemas a lot, but ABC loses points due to Mick Malthouse, who should have retired YEARS ago)
4. K Rock (Benny and Tom did a good job and you've got to love the Geelong bias, but there's something about the K Rock audio mix I don't like to much compared to the SEN audio mix, for instance. Not sure what it is lol).
5. Triple M (Triple M's unabashedly blokey vibe works best when their main caller is someone like Brian Taylor or James Brayshaw (guys who suck as TV callers but work well as radio callers), to bring that "late 2000s to mid-2010s era Saturday Rub" vibe. Otherwise you just have a bunch of guys who aren't a natural fit for the Triple M sensibility trying too hard to force it, and it doesn't really work. Mark Howard and Nathan Brown being major examples of this. Howard's voice is annoying and I wasn't impressed with his Grand Final call).
6. Channel 7 (I was at the ground to watch the game so didn't know until I watched the replay how bad the TV call was. The Channel 7 call was a disgrace. Absolutely ZERO energy to it whatsoever. As I mentioned above, Brian Taylor sucks as a TV caller.....but even by his TV calling standards, his commentary was awful. It was obvious throughout that he was unenthused by the idea of us winning. Futhermore, Luke Hodge and Daisy Pearce both have nails-on-a-chalkboard voices too, which made Seven's call even worse to listen to. Not good!).
I would go as far to say that the channel 7 call of the 2022 GF is the worst call I have ever heard for such a big occasion.
BT is absolutely terrible and doesn’t get excited at all.
It’s not because of the margin either. I watched highlights of the 2019 GF the other day and BT is up and about in the 3rd when the margin is 80 points.

But yes, SEN and 3AW Are brilliant.

Last edited:

Here's my ranking:

Haven't gone through all of them but I agree with SEN being great and Channel 7 being atrocious. It sounded like they wanted to be anywhere else, which in some way made it kinda enjoyable to listen to I guess.

Here's my ranking:
Agree with nearly all of what you posted, but I would drop ABC one place lower. Only because one of the ABC commentators calling Isaac Smith 'Izzy' all the time which drove my crazy for some reason. :D I have never heard another commentator call him that.

The KROCK guys seemed a bit subdued to what they were normally are. Maybe Benny Cass was being quieter than normal because Kingy is/was a Swans supporter?

Agree with nearly all of what you posted, but I would drop ABC one place lower. Only because one of the ABC commentators calling Isaac Smith 'Izzy' all the time which drove my crazy for some reason. :D I have never heard another commentator call him that.

The KROCK guys seemed a bit subdued to what they were normally are. Maybe Benny Cass was being quieter than normal because Kingy is/was a Swans supporter?
The thing with K Rock is the sound mix which to me is quite tinny. That makes it harder to listen to IMO. Of course I love their passion and bias.

BT and Brayshaw on 7 were appalling, and as said above it may be the worst call I have ever heard. They missed so many plays with their confected and preplanned BS it was not funny. In any way at all.

Here's my ranking:

6-14. Daylight
15. Channel 7 (I was at the ground to watch the game so didn't know until I watched the replay how bad the TV call was. The Channel 7 call was a disgrace. Absolutely ZERO energy to it whatsoever. As I mentioned above, Brian Taylor sucks as a TV caller.....but even by his TV calling standards, his commentary was awful. It was obvious throughout that he was unenthused by the idea of us winning. Futhermore, Luke Hodge and Daisy Pearce both have nails-on-a-chalkboard voices too, which made Seven's call even worse to listen to. Not good!).

Slight fix.

I would go as far to say that the channel 7 call of the 2022 GF is the worst call I have ever heard for such a big occasion.
BT is absolutely terrible and doesn’t get excited at all.
It’s not because of the margin either. I watched highlights of the 2019 GF the other day and BT is up and about in the 3rd when the margin is 80 points.

But yes, SEN and 3AW Are brilliant.
I would still put Ch 7 call above Ch 10's 2007 call. Walls and Vossy and Quartmain. Yuk.

I never thought I'd defend BT, but I can understand why his commentary wasn't all that exciting. As fas as neutrals and commentators go, the game would of been an absolute bore and disappointment. People want to see close and thrilling GF's. If I wasn't a mad Cats supporter, this game as a neutral would of been a huge disappointment. I can sympathise with non-Cats aligned commentators showing little enthusiasm TBH.

I've never been a fan of BT, but I was actually impressed when he acknowlged how dominant we have been as a club. He said "you've got to hand it to the Cats, they have been the best team of the last two decades". He certainly didn't have to say that, and I thought it was great that he did. He showed a lot of respect to us as an organisation by saying that. As for Luke Hodge, even though he hates us with the Cats-Hawks rivalry, you can tell he has a huge level of respect for us.

I never thought I'd defend BT, but I can understand why his commentary wasn't all that exciting. As fas as neutrals and commentators go, the game would of been an absolute bore and disappointment. People want to see close and thrilling GF's. If I wasn't a mad Cats supporter, this game as a neutral would of been a huge disappointment. I can sympathise with non-Cats aligned commentators showing little enthusiasm TBH.

If BT were just some neutral fan and not someone specifically employed to do a good job calling the game, maybe that reaction would be understandable. But he wasn't just some random neutral fan. He was paid good money to commentate in a manner befitting the occasion. The Grand Final is the biggest sporting event of the year in Australia, with a broadcast audience of more than 3 million people. To commentate an event like that with zero energy or excitement is a disgrace. He sounded like he was bored. That's how bad his call was. James Brayshaw was the same btw. Just completely unprofessional.

All the major radio commentators managed to hype up what was happening on the field. Channel 7 were the only ones who offered nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If BT were just some neutral fan and not someone specifically employed to do a good job calling the game, maybe that reaction would be understandable. But he wasn't just some random neutral fan. He was paid good money to commentate in a manner befitting the occasion. The Grand Final is the biggest sporting event of the year in Australia, with a broadcast audience of more than 3 million people. To commentate an event like that with zero energy or excitement is a disgrace. He sounded like he was bored. That's how bad his call was. James Brayshaw was the same btw. Just completely unprofessional.

All the major radio commentators managed to hype up what was happening on the field. Channel 7 were the only ones who offered nothing.
Yeah fair enough. I didn't think he was as bad as that - but I guess we all see it differently. Personally, it didn't negatively impact me too much when I watched it on replay after being at the game. It wasn't that noticeable to me anyway. I always loved Bruce and Dennis, for mine they were the clear standouts and no one else gets close - so maybe my expectations of the current channrl 7 crop just aren't that high..

I never thought I'd defend BT, but I can understand why his commentary wasn't all that exciting. As fas as neutrals and commentators go, the game would have been an absolute bore and disappointment. People want to see close and thrilling GF's.
Sorry but that’s completely rubbish. Watch the 2019 Grand Final and compare the 2.

I've never been a fan of BT, but I was actually impressed when he acknowlged how dominant we have been as a club. He said "you've got to hand it to the Cats, they have been the best team of the last two decades". He certainly didn't have to say that, and I thought it was great that he did. He showed a lot of respect to us as an organisation by saying that. As for Luke Hodge, even though he hates us with the Cats-Hawks rivalry, you can tell he has a huge level of respect for us.

I agree entirely with you mate - and i posted exactly the same thing - probably in this thread way way back

And what he precisely said would resonate with people who were watching that telecast who werrnt diehard AFL Supporters - ie it could be other football codes - and that would have an impact on them - as in Geelong has been the best side in the AFL for the past 20 years - and they are in full flight today

Just like if i was watching a rugby union or league final - and there was a dominant display being put on by one club - and the commentator said - this club has been the best club for past 2 decades - that would stick in my memory in my brain

I watched AN EPL game 4-5 years back - and the commentator said Arsenal and Everton are the only 2 clubs who have never been relegated from the Premier League/ Division 1 League as it was formerly known . Now i didnt know that - so it was good information to be informed which would stay in the memory bank - just like Geelong has been the best side in the past 2 decades in the AFL

The problem with Big Footy mate - is alot just basically rubbish everything - rubbish - rubbish - rubbish - rubbish - they get their hits by rubbishing alot of things

You go back to the 1994 GF - that game would be a shocking game for a commentator to call - it was over early - it would be boring to everyone except West Coast supporters - so if a commentator picked out and mentioned some important successfull statistical information about West Coast as a club - then in my opinion he should be applauded for doing it

Watch Richmond win a premiership....now who's talking rubbish
Yeah I’ll pay that.
I thought the same as you, so I went back and watch a few highlights of previous Grand Final blow outs and 2022 is by FAR the worst I’ve heard.

Not that it matters anyway, I’ll just watch it with the the other 5 commentaries I can choose from.

Yeah I’ll pay that.
I thought the same as you, so I went back and watch a few highlights of previous Grand Final blow outs and 2022 is by FAR the worst I’ve heard.

Not that it matters anyway, I’ll just watch it with the the other 5 commentaries I can choose from.
Yeah fair enough. Like I said in another post, I loved Bruce and Dennis. Their energy and excitement was just next level for mine

Fully professional then at 0:25 for a moment they are fans celebrating their team's premiership. It's a beautiful moment

Yeah fair enough. I didn't think he was as bad as that - but I guess we all see it differently. Personally, it didn't negatively impact me too much when I watched it on replay after being at the game. It wasn't that noticeable to me anyway. I always loved Bruce and Dennis, for mine they were the clear standouts and no one else gets close - so maybe my expectations of the current channrl 7 crop just aren't that high..
Anything is more tolerable with the prior knowledge that we'd just demolished the swans and won the flag by over 13 goals. In the heat of the moment when you don't know the outcome Bradshaw's obvious disdain for us and BT's insistence on trotting out his prewritten nonsense while active play is undereay was enough to make me want to headbutt my tele in half

Remove this Banner Ad

Back