No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just about getting the ball. In those last minutes if you watch, he peels off to the left and heads flat out towards the left wing, his opponent had no option but to go with him which then opened up space for the ball carrier. He did a lot of that for the Hawks, similar to smith. The problem is this year, smith hasn't got a foil - hartung is supposed to be it but unfortunately just doesn't have Bradley's footy smarts
I agree, for mine though it's not just necessarily Billy not running as smartly, it's him not being as consistently damaging as Hill was with ball in hand. You see it with forwards, if they aren't kicking goals or setting them up, their opponents back off them and focus on the damaging forwards for the double team

For mine, it's also one of the reasons why Chip is free so often in the back half, sure he can kick to a team mate in a really damaging position but he does it no where near as often as most of his back half mates, so coaches now probably instruct their forwards to make sure guys like Gibbo, Birch, Hodge, Burgers etc are covered when we have the ball before Stratts and Chips, wouldn't be surprised if Burton is already or soon to be in the first category

Is it just me or do the media not seem to give a s**t that Sydney (last seasons runners up and equal favourites for the flag in 2017) are 0-5?

This in spite of the fact that they have gone "all in" for a flag offering mega contracts to Franklin and Tippet which currently do not look like paying any dividends.

Meanwhile they're portraying the Hawthorn slump as some sort of apocalypse despite the fact in comes in the wake of a period that we cashed in big time with 4 flags from 5 gf's in 8 seasons with a list where the longest and most lucrative contract was probably half what Franklin is on.

It amazes me that they see no irony in that fact.
It is pretty funny.

The carry on from our fall, anyone would think that we made 3 grand finals and failed in each one. At least we made the most of our time in the sun.

As Clarko said today about the hysteria after our first 4 weeks "No one should be questioning our group for effort after what they have achieved". Fair point.

Swans superstar midfield of Jack, Parker, and Kennedy had something like 7,8 and 6 possessions going in to half time......they must have thought they were playing in a Grand Final.

It is pretty funny.

Swans superstar midfield of Jack, Parker, and Kennedy had something like 7,8 and 6 possessions going in to half time......they must have thought they were playing in a Grand Final.
Now that's funny.:thumbsu:

He was. Our supporters just wanted him to crash packs, break tackles and be something he was never meant to be, rather than an endurance athlete.

They still don't get how essential his run was to our structures.

GWS get the same thing from Scully. Everyone loves the in and under mids but you break games open with guys like Hill still surprised people don't rate him

They still don't get how essential his run was to our structures.

GWS get the same thing from Scully. Everyone loves the in and under mids but you break games open with guys like Hill still surprised people don't rate him
Good post. Scully is a star but I bet most people wouldn't rate him close to that.

Watching him and what he provides for GWS is so damn important. Exactly why Hill was such an important player for us.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

It is pretty funny.

The carry on from our fall, anyone would think that we made 3 grand finals and failed in each one. At least we made the most of our time in the sun.

As Clarko said today about the hysteria after our first 4 weeks "No one should be questioning our group for effort after what they have achieved". Fair point.

Is Clarko suggesting the effort of all those players is the same now as it was against GC and the lat quarter of the cats game? Because that is clearly not the case. We won a flag with the oldest team in history. At some point it's not going to be possible for those same players to deliver the same output.

Is Clarko suggesting the effort of all those players is the same now as it was against GC and the lat quarter of the cats game? Because that is clearly not the case. We won a flag with the oldest team in history. At some point it's not going to be possible for those same players to deliver the same output.
He's saying form is temporary, and he won't be tearing them to shreds over effort when they've scaled the summit 3 times and 4 times.

To me, he is showing that he knows that this period is a difficult one which has to be handled with a considered approach.

He's saying form is temporary, and he won't be tearing them to shreds over effort when they've scaled the summit 3 times and 4 times.

To me, he is showing that he knows that this period is a difficult one which has to be handled with a considered approach.
Taking Clarko at his word, he assesses form over four or five weeks. Sicily, despite playing well in the jlt without starring was dropped after one game. Absolutely zero commitment to his development as a defender having trained there all summer. Other players haven't played a good game since mid last year and are not dropped. It isn't about form at all. Clarko backs in players that have proven themselves to him. This has its upside but when we are talking about players in their mid thirties it's a problem. I'm not talking about wholesale changes but at some point you need to hold players accountable for their poor form and effort.

Is it just me or do the media not seem to give a s**t that Sydney (last seasons runners up and equal favourites for the flag in 2017) are 0-5?

This in spite of the fact that they have gone "all in" for a flag offering mega contracts to Franklin and Tippet which currently do not look like paying any dividends.

Meanwhile they're portraying the Hawthorn slump as some sort of apocalypse despite the fact in comes in the wake of a period that we cashed in big time with 4 flags from 5 gf's in 8 seasons with a list where the longest and most lucrative contract was probably half what Franklin is on.

It amazes me that they see no irony in that fact.

Because they have that academy to provide a stream of free young talent, their future isn't in question like ours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reading the $wans matchday thread was good for a laugh. Best bit is apparently they hate Dunstall's commentary - Hawthorn just can't stop head******* them.
Their autopsy thread is even better. Quite a few are calling for Longmire's head. Along with the usual "Kurt Tippett is a peaheart" type stuff. :drunk:

Reading the $wans matchday thread was good for a laugh. Best bit is apparently they hate Dunstall's commentary - Hawthorn just can't stop head******* them.
Roosy was really up and about in the first two minutes of that match, he got about 3-4 references to "swans footy" in before the Giants touched the ball, then funnily enough he sounded a bit flat only minutes later.

Their autopsy thread is even better. Quite a few are calling for Longmire's head. Along with the usual "Kurt Tippett is a peaheart" type stuff. :drunk:
Odd as it may seem, I have recently got to know the immediate family member of a Swans premiership backman, and he is of the opinion that Longmire's message is stale, and that they need a new coach.

Makes you wonder what the players think.

Odd as it may seem, I have recently got to know the immediate family member of a Swans premiership backman, and he is of the opinion that Longmire's message is stale, and that they need a new coach.

Maybe Horse doesn't delegate enough, and the assistants are getting a go
Dew's senior coach aspirations must be taking a hit with the swans being on the the crest of a slump

A lot of their players in their prime have dropped off,

Parker has been ordinary. Hanners has been a crab, Absolute crab. Jack looks cooked, SMith is cooked, Tippett is cooked

People say Aliir was dropped for not defending to expectation however Cameron got them back in it. Aliir would of at least helped stifle him

That certainly makes a good deal of sense.

Its always surprised me how much ire Ross Lyon has drawn for peddling a putrid defensive gamestyle inherited from Paul Roos, yet Longmire has escaped criticism for doing the same. Then again we know criticizing Sydney is off limits to AFL-endorsed media so perhaps it isn't surprising at all.

That gamestyle is dependent on outworking the opposition and dominating contested ball so it could well be some experienced Swans players have had enough of it after two GF losses, and I don't blame them. Last night they flooded like mad for most of the game with two spares in defense, on a ground as tiny as the SCG it wasn't pretty to watch.

A lot of their players in their prime have dropped off,

Parker has been ordinary. Hanners has been a crab, Absolute crab. Jack looks cooked, SMith is cooked, Tippett is cooked
I've said in other threads this year that leg speed has become much more valuable than in recent seasons, especially in the midfield & off half back. All those players you mentioned are one-paced which I don't think is a coincidence.

Sydney's midfield was never overly quick or great at hitting targets but they were stacked with contested beasts (like Mitchell) but other teams have made up ground in that regard and are burning them off with sheer pace, and Sydney's rucks are s**t which isn't helping. Sounds a lot like another team I could mention!

The thing with Sydney is they are taking a quantum leap towards reality. When they play GWS, they are getting a taste of what other clubs had to deal with coming up against Sydney over the years. GWS are now the ones receiving all the lollies and favours from the AFL and Sydney are now having to play under similar rules to other AFL clubs.

They can no longer afford to have overpaid spuds like Tippett on their payroll. They can no longer use COLA and other assorted goodies to enable them to just take players from other clubs and offer ridiculous contracts. They would currently be sitting around the board room devising new business structures because sugar daddy AFL has disowned them.

They are beginning to realise they got greedy with the Buddy deal and maybe understanding they weren't being as clever as they thought they were. Buddy is no longer the player he once was, and still has 5 years to run on his contract after this season. To coin a phrase, Sydney have s**t in their own nest and don't like the smell. If they hadn't done the Buddy deal, they'd still be receiving the COLA and not have any trade bans placed upon them.

Welcome to the real world Sydney, hope you now appreciate why other clubs objected so much to AFL bankrolling your club in the way they did for the past 15-20 years. They need not worry though. The moment they slip down the ladder, the AFL will be back to pump up their tyres as they need 2 successful teams playing in Sydney.

They will probably still play finals, but their premiership window has closed .... out to lunch. Be back when the AFL pays the bill.

Last edited:

Mate, I enjoy reading your thoughts ... but could you please get rid of the picture of the geelong jumper, it makes me want to throw up.

I thought it was hilarious last night when Roos started up about poor old Swans, so injury riddled and named about 3 players who were sitting up n the box. Then I think it was Dal Santo who reeled off about 6 or 7 names missing from the GWS line up, and Roos shut up very quickly :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back