No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That point is only valid when there's a draft pick at the end of our position.

Finishing 9th and 18th = No finals
9th = Pick 10, 18th = Pick 1.
Therefore, finising 18th is better than 9th.

However, we don't get any benefit from our lower finishing position so we should push to finish as high as possible to not directly strengthen another club.

We actually want GWS to finish as low as possible, so our first pick comes earlier.

Ok but discuss draft picks with someone who's interested

Being reported on Footy Classified that the umpires have lodged a OH&S claim over bouncing the ball
Might be going the way of the dodo bird
Legit?
What's the OH&S issue with bouncing vs throwing up?

Being reported on Footy Classified that the umpires have lodged a OH&S claim over bouncing the ball
Are they not aware it's a part of the job requirements?

Is this a reaction to the female umpire unable to bounce the ball in the centre, and then being told at quarter time to throw it up at every occasion?

Yes I'm afraid it's legit
causing back issues as they have outlined
If it's actually wrecking backs yeah fair enough, reckon it's more about the criticism and pressure of bouncing the ball

Sounds like a sly way of hinting to the AFL they'd like a pay rise. Which they should receive, and become full-time professional umpires at the same time. That change is 10-20 years overdue but better late than never.

Why hasn't it caused back issues for the past 100+ years that people have been playing Aussie Rules but is just happening now?
I will admit that people just used to out up with s**t for a job, look at concussion for example

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like a sly way of hinting to the AFL they'd like a pay rise. Which they should receive, and become full-time professional umpires at the same time. That change is 10-20 years overdue but better late than never.
Get them full time and remove the bounce, which they spend too much time trying to perfect anyway. After a season we won't even notice it's gone, except for all the times we want a poor bounce recalled. Let them focus on making good decisions.

Are they not aware it's a part of the job requirements?

Is this a reaction to the female umpire unable to bounce the ball in the centre, and then being told at quarter time to throw it up at every occasion?

On the latter point - no I doubt that's the reason. There was a story in The Age before round 1 saying this was going to happen and mentioned back/shoulder injuries.

Terry Wallace mentioned yesterday that umpires in under 18 down only throw the ball up and they don't train to bounce the ball. Naturally this then indicates a decision has already been made as any coming forward through the ranks won't have the training.

A ball up machine should be wheeled out at every stoppage. This will ensure the exact same spin rate, ball up height and
perpendicular motion which are critical for sanitising our game.
Knowing the AFL and how they use technology, it'll be sticking out of the ground and trip over players every week.

The AFL will then review it's use of the tech and say it's working as intended and players have to adjust.

So what you don't barrack for a club if you don't agree with every choice they make ?

Judging by your posts, I think you mean any, not every!
I'm sure there are many clubs who would trade 2+ first round picks for one premiership, so we could trade our 4 cups in the last 10 years for 8 first round picks. Would that make you happy? Problem is we would only have 9 falgs, and the AFL wouldn't allow it.
I don't know, I'm sure there's some out there who'd still think/say it

Mr. & Mrs. Judd, maybe?

Knowing the AFL and how they use technology, it'll be sticking out of the ground and trip over players every week.

The AFL will then review it's use of the tech and say it's working as intended and players have to adjust.
Or if they remove it, make sure to leave the exposed anchor bolts so players (like Roughie) have another chance at
ripping their bodies to shreds before having more investigations and reviews with afl lawyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back