Free Agency George Hewett [joins Carlton as a restricted free agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

According to the old formula, the maximum age bonus was +12 for being 26. I don't think there was a way to get any more? If so, Hewett should get the same age bonus, and then it simply comes down to salary. If Hewett's is similar, we should get the same compo. If Hewett is higher, we might get band 3.
You've gotten band 4.

The fact Hewett and Chol get the same compensation should be cause to overhaul the system. Absolutely baffling decision.

Doesn’t really have any elite traits. Think you could probably pickup a nice kid in the draft with similar output and save the $$$

Hewett is in the best 22 of every team in the league. When he was fit he was always an automatic selection at the Swans. Bloody good tagger and I think he is very much underrated as an inside mid.

Solid B grader on average money and no draft picks paid.

We'll take it. Add Cerra and I'll be a happy camper.
I'd say B-grader very capable of A-grade games is probably a good summary.

I can understand this move looking at the list profile of all our current and future midfielders, but there will be far worse players in the league on far more money than Hewett will be on for the entire duration of this deal.

Hewett is in the best 22 of every team in the league. When he was fit he was always an automatic selection at the Swans. Bloody good tagger and I think he is very much underrated as an inside mid.
We obviously don't rate him going forward with our newer game plan.
He won't take cheap Brownlow votes off Walsh..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Averages 4 for his career. Fair, not great.
Been thrown all over the place for his entire career, to be fair. Keep him in the midfield and he'll provide a huge amount of pressurr most games.

I rate him good pick up by the Blues. Surely one of their plethora of draft picks steps up into and grabs a spot in the midfield next year then all of a sudden they are going ok in that area.
We'd be hoping for Stocker and Kemp to be getting significant time in the middle next year. They'd be the obvious two with expectations to step up.
Walsh, Cripps, Stocker, Kemp, Hewett, Cerra (hopefully), Curnow (transitioned out), hopefully continued improvement from LOB, Dow and Kennedy, rotations from Silvagni, Williams, Fogarty, Doc (looked OK on a wing this year), Martin, Fisher, Cuningham.
Question marks over Setterfield and Gibbons. Newnes and Cottrell probably delisted.
Looks better, but probably still room to improve.

We'd be hoping for Stocker and Kemp to be getting significant time in the middle next year. They'd be the obvious two with expectations to step up.
Walsh, Cripps, Stocker, Kemp, Hewett, Cerra (hopefully), Curnow (transitioned out), hopefully continued improvement from LOB, Dow and Kennedy, rotations from Silvagni, Williams, Fogarty, Doc (looked OK on a wing this year), Martin, Fisher, Cuningham.
Question marks over Setterfield and Gibbons. Newnes and Cottrell probably delisted.

Philip and Carrol options as well. Maybe even Cunningham later in the year.

Blues have invested plenty of draft capital into their midfield just need someone to grab a spot.

Can’t see how Kemp is going to go from barely playing (going back to pre-draft) to playing in your midfield.

Was always going to start off on a flank and hopefully transition into a midfield eventually after 2-4 seasons wherever he got drafted.

And he’s had more injury troubles since being drafted.

He’s years off being a contributing midfielder, and that’s fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back