Review Good, Bad and Ugly vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. Mchenry/keays would've chased that down and put in the effort and we probably win.
If either of those could've chased the ball down before it hit the post they're being wasted in the AFL when they should be training for the 100m at the Olympics.

I thought Himmelberg was good, is definitely the best option when it comes to Burgess and Gollant
Burgess/Gollant should only play if either Tex or Fog can't. The forward set-up is too similar otherwise, and having Himmelberg is better for our structure until TT returns as frustrating as he can be (I agree he was pretty good today).

Shaunbkk , I said:
It was good, actually.
Keays set up TWO first quarter goals, directly.

Please watch at least the first quarter, again.
That's incorrect; my bad.

Keays set up two SECOND quarter goals, apologies:
--- contested possession after Rankine kick, handball to Walker in goal square, goal.
--- mark just inside I50, spotted Sholl and passed to him, Sholl mark'n'goal.

For the game he had 15 disposals (10K, 5H), 8 marks, 6 tackles.
Not great, but a decent contribution I thought.

Shaunbkk , I said:

That's incorrect; my bad.

Keays set up two SECOND quarter goals, apologies:
--- contested possession after Rankine kick, handball to Walker in goal square, goal.
--- mark just inside I50, spotted Sholl and passed to him, Sholl mark'n'goal.

For the game he had 15 disposals (10K, 5H), 8 marks, 6 tackles.
Not great, but a decent contribution I thought.

I thought he had a great game. Probably his best for the season.

Not working out how to deal with the sticky fingered tall Brisbane defenders.
This is a massive fail by Nicks :poov1: . The Brisbane talls were taking strong intercept marks.
The obvious, Coaching 101 solution?
Tell our blokes NOT to bomb the ball in high. If they cannot hit a forward on a lead, then chaos-ball grubbers I50 and let our forwards clean up.
At least try that, something, anything, but make a change!

Have you thought of getting better opinions? It’s a safer bet rather than assuming you’re the genius amongst a room full of dunces
You can't get what you're stuck with.

After a shaky start to your relationship, you two are turning into Simon and Garfunkel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This post has received 7 reactions, all negative:
The player I can't just place today is fog. Lots of great things done today. But his man intercepted the ball quite a bit today.
Fog/walker/rankine/Rachele would be touted on this board as a great game.
But if keays/mchenry and even cook gave up as many intercept marks as fog/walker did. This board will be ripping into them.
I'll still say good game
But if he didn't lose as many contests as he did. We probably win by 2-3 goals
I'll bet he has no idea why.

(Hint: "Fogarty (who had 14 possessions, 7 marks, 3 tackles and kicked 4 goals) played well, but if he hadn't played so badly we would've won" makes no sense).

I hope Fogarty plays that badly every week.

Sholls running back with the flight was deadset courageous. He could have got himself really hurt but didn't even hesitate.
I agree, very courageous, but isn't it a bit --- sad --- to heap praise on him for one act that many players do every round?

OK, even so, if that's the start of things to come, great, but jeez after 60-odd games it's about time.

Notice no one’s mentioned Dawson could’ve handballed to Keays who was running free inside 50 when he kicked the tying point, agree that given it was Keays and also another left footer he rightly saw no point giving it and took the responsibility as you want him to do as captain but it would’ve made for an interesting narrative if Keays would’ve (again) had the shot to put the team in front.

Notice no one’s mentioned Dawson could’ve handballed to Keays who was running free inside 50 when he kicked the tying point, agree that given it was Keays and also another left footer he rightly saw no point giving it and took the responsibility as you want him to do as captain but it would’ve made for an interesting narrative if Keays would’ve (again) had the shot to put the team in front.
What about when Keays kicked a good goal from the pocket in the third but Laird had given away a free and it got called back. Keays has an unlucky trend of having his best goals disallowed. I feel bad for him but its also kind of funny that it keeps happening.

The sub was never designed to be used as a 23rd man, they are there to cover injuries. There was everything wrong with doing a sub at half time and Nicks deserves to be smashed for that. We got an injury which this damn irrational half time sub cost us a replacement.

It should never have happened.
An early sub I could stomach if we were getting beaten and have to roll the dice

But we were a couple of points up

Was a needless risk and we got instantly burned by the Football Gods

What does 'HB' mean to you? If Curtin plays across HB he's still going to need to have a defensive role. That means when the ball goes into the D50 he needs to have defensive presence and pick someone up, he needs to cover players at stoppages so they don't get free goalside, he needs to complete for marks, he needs to kill the ball when its on the goal line etc. Those are the things he struggled with today. He wasn't playing full back on Joe Daniher and getting beaten by a power forward.

Nobody gets to hide at AFL level, defensive work is going to be part of Curtin's entire career. Luckily he's 19 and has played 2 games so one poor performance is not a big deal, but the idea that he should not be defending at all is just nonsense.
When Lachie Whitfield or Nick Daicos slide to half back why don't their direct opponents just drag them back to the goal square?

Because they stay where they are. The other defenders stay as they are. They keep their structure. Someone else slides across to pick up their man.

Because their coaches have a brain.

We had Jordon Butts up at midfield stoppages in Q4 FFS

Because Hipwood went up there and it's not in our capability to go hmmmmm maybe Jordon, you stay deep in defence and someone else can take Hipwood. Or heck, let him go completely and we'll take the plus one gift.

We're a budget version of a coaching panel and our players suffer for it.

What does 'HB' mean to you? If Curtin plays across HB he's still going to need to have a defensive role. That means when the ball goes into the D50 he needs to have defensive presence and pick someone up, he needs to cover players at stoppages so they don't get free goalside, he needs to complete for marks, he needs to kill the ball when its on the goal line etc. Those are the things he struggled with today. He wasn't playing full back on Joe Daniher and getting beaten by a power forward.

Nobody gets to hide at AFL level, defensive work is going to be part of Curtin's entire career. Luckily he's 19 and has played 2 games so one poor performance is not a big deal, but the idea that he should not be defending at all is just nonsense.
HB is an attacking defensive role and can be part of a midfield apprenticeship as the game comes to you.

Yes there is an element of stopping an opponent, like all roles. But HB/wing would be perfect for Curtin to learn midfield play.

Not the pure stopper role he waa playing before being subbed out.

With Worrell injured, he should now have a chance to play a more attacking defensive role.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back