Rumour Guess who's coming home?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are going to bottom out Turbs, bottom out properly.

However, I find it fanciful that we would land Dangerfield, Ablett and Selwood all at the same time...whether we have the cap space or not.

But that's just me.

Perhaps I'm just a negative Nelly. :rolleyes:

It is a nice thought though.

Maybe.
Or maybe you have a better grasp on reality than some.

I have posted elsewhere - I have some reasonable mail that GAJ is seriously considering a move home. Also have even better mail that Dangerfield is a lock. (My source - cos you're gonna ask for it- is I am friendly with both families) the third part of my questioning - I've heard speculation about scooter Selwood - no proof at all - With front and back ended contracts etc- and retirements - are all three a possibility? I don't imagine scooter is gonna cost a fortune. And paddy back ended, Ablett front ended? Retirements?

I'm greedy. I want all 3.

Filed away in my BF Bumps file for another day.

Because as a club they became overly and with out much care overtly reliant on Ablett. "Build the game plan around Gary". "It's OK Gary will save the day". "Don't worry things will be better when Gary returns". "It can't be helped Gary is out". "We can't be blamed Gary is missing". Sure they then went and got a few OK types like Brown and (not including Hunt as he was an AFL experiment) Harbrow etc. But at the end of the day the burden still all fell on Gary.

And as the players have demonstrated for the last 10 games; they are spoilt. They were gifted games and taught/told/ended-up relying on someone to do all the work... look at them now. Maybe Rocket can turn it around maybe he can't. My money is on the latter.

I said years back that the way the Suns got thrashed week in week out in the early days would really take the gloss their playing list. Having a green coach did not help. I also said Ablett was a bad match for them. I can see that his dominance has sort of sucked the life force out of the team, like you say. And it's not like Gazza doesn't like to dominate. I will be interested to see how the team goes from now on.

The Suns are a lesson to us not to rebuild from scratch. Keep a good side going as long as possible and add the youngsters into a team that is already playing well.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/geelong-wants-gary-ablett-back-but-not-holding-its-breath-with-new-gold-coast-on-horizon/story-fni5f7ka-1227305286322

Geelong wants Gary Ablett back but not holding its breath with new Gold Coast on horizon

But the Cats have been told in recent months that Ablett will sign a new three-year, $3 million deal to stay at the Gold Coast.

The Cats have touched base with his manager Liam Pickering several times and as recently as early this year were told he wasn’t moving anywhere.
They believe circumstances would have to change for him to reconsider a deal that Gold Coast say is close to being sealed.

“When we have inquired we have been told he is staying,” Cook said. “It’s a romantic notion but it won’t happen.”

What is certain is that Geelong does not have salary cap space for both Ablett and Patrick Dangerfield, the Moggs Creek star they hope to lure next year.

I have posted elsewhere - I have some reasonable mail that GAJ is seriously considering a move home. Also have even better mail that Dangerfield is a lock. (My source - cos you're gonna ask for it- is I am friendly with both families) the third part of my questioning - I've heard speculation about scooter Selwood - no proof at all - With front and back ended contracts etc- and retirements - are all three a possibility? I don't imagine scooter is gonna cost a fortune. And paddy back ended, Ablett front ended? Retirements?

I'm greedy. I want all 3.
This kind of reminds me of the story of John D. Rockefeller just before the depression. John D. Rockefeller was having his shoes shined. The shoe shine boy, presumably not knowing who Rockefeller was, started giving him stock tips and financial news of the day. Rockefeller took his shoe shine boy’s advice but not in the way you would expect. He decided that if a shoe shine boy was giving stock tips.. It was time to get out of the market. My point is that every 5 minutes I hear another rumour about Ablett coming back and I think really it's time to get out of the mindset that he'll ever be back. No offense Catsmaninamerica I'm not equating you with a shoe shine boy and I hope we get Danger and Selwood the 3rd but I don't think Gazza will ever be back and I'll refuse to believe it until I see it.

Because as a club they became overly and with out much care overtly reliant on Ablett. "Build the game plan around Gary". "It's OK Gary will save the day". "Don't worry things will be better when Gary returns". "It can't be helped Gary is out". "We can't be blamed Gary is missing". Sure they then went and got a few OK types like Brown and (not including Hunt as he was an AFL experiment) Harbrow etc. But at the end of the day the burden still all fell on Gary.

And as the players have demonstrated for the last 10 games; they are spoilt. They were gifted games and taught/told/ended-up relying on someone to do all the work... look at them now. Maybe Rocket can turn it around maybe he can't. My money is on the latter.

image.jpg

Was looking for another meme with a Gold Coast gaming console but couldn't find it. All the buttons were labelled "kick it to Gary", "Get it to Gary", etc.

Last edited:
We need to get this guy in on the contract/trade negotiations :D
224281-gary-ablett.jpg

Would we really want him back? Other than for sentimental reasons, I don't see the point. He would come at a huge cost, he would be another 30+ player to add to the growing pile, and he now has a significant, lingering injury. For where the club now is, bringing in another player over 30 years of age with an injury history doesn't really seem like a sensible idea, no matter how good that player may be. If we were still in premiership contention, it would be great, but that doesn't seem to be the case, and bringing him back would impede our ability to pick up younger free agents via trade and free agency and our ability to retain and give game time to young players coming through. He left when he was most needed and when he could have best helped drive the club to further success. Instead, he chose money. If he were to leave the Suns, I imagine he would be best served going to a team well inside their premiership window, as this shoulder injury has proven that Ablett is indeed mortal and that age and the burden of carrying a team on his back for the past several years can catch up to even him.

Allowing a guy who abandoned the club to seep big money from it while he plays out his twilight years, well below the best he could produce, hindering the development of the next generation of players, seems like something Scott would do. Too bad he couldn't extend the same courtesy to Paul Chapman.

Would we really want him back? Other than for sentimental reasons, I don't see the point. He would come at a huge cost, he would be another 30+ player to add to the growing pile, and he now has a significant, lingering injury. For where the club now is, bringing in another player over 30 years of age with an injury history doesn't really seem like a sensible idea, no matter how good that player may be. If we were still in premiership contention, it would be great, but that doesn't seem to be the case, and bringing him back would impede our ability to pick up younger free agents via trade and free agency and our ability to retain and give game time to young players coming through. He left when he was most needed and when he could have best helped drive the club to further success. Instead, he chose money. If he were to leave the Suns, I imagine he would be best served going to a team well inside their premiership window, as this shoulder injury has proven that Ablett is indeed mortal and that age and the burden of carrying a team on his back for the past several years can catch up to even him.

Allowing a guy who abandoned the club to seep big money from it while he plays out his twilight years, well below the best he could produce, hindering the development of the next generation of players, seems like something Scott would do. Too bad he couldn't extend the same courtesy to Paul Chapman.

Congratulations.

You've somehow managed to twist a thread about Gazza into an opportunity to snipe Scott yet again, AND push your tired old agenda about Chapman as well!

You've outdone yourself.

Now, if you'd posted all but the last 1-1/2 sentences you might've been taken seriously, but the twist of the knife at the end simply reveals your motivation.

If he actually WANTED to come back and play for $500k a year and give back to the club that made him, sure. I wouldn't even mind if he couldn't lift his arm above shoulder height.

But at a million a season, a 31 year old, who ripped the heart out of the club and likely cost us at least one flag? Hell no.

Enjoy being surrounded by orange- skinned peroxide-drenched airheads for the rest of your life Gaz.

Me bitter? Just a little. :D

These comments about "mortality" are a bit full on, fairly serious injury, wasn't done through "wear n tear", yet somehow his past it now?

Gaj's shoulder will come good, but it'll take longer if he continues to avoid western medicine.
However this will play right into Geelong's hands, we need Gold Coast to be terrible this year, and it looks like they could be.

To those saying why would we want him? I want him because he is the best footballer I have seen and he will improve our team.

If he comes his not coming for money, so the salary cap issue is non existent and as has been the way for the last 5 years, if someone wants to go somewhere they get there in the end.

For the record I think he is coming back.

And don't even compare this to the chapman thing. Ablett could be the difference of 10,000 members for Geelong. We can't lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there's a stack of practical reasons (as outlined by many others here already) why getting Gaz back would not be a great deal for us. Which are all compelling in and of themselves.

But I have to admit one of the key reasons for me is actually simply a question of legacy.

If he were to come back, I would find it utterly sickening to hear the revisionists kick in with the 'he never really wanted to leave' claptrap and/or the 'his heart was always at the Cats' mantra.

I admire him for being a great player at our club over a number of years.

I respect him enormously for the level of performance he's maintained (injury aside) while playing at the Suns.

But I will actually be relieved if his career finishes at the Suns (or actually anywhere else other than Geelong, for that matter).

An account of his career at Geelong should always read 'marvellous player who contributed a great deal at the Cats before moving on' rather than 'Geelong boy through and through, who simply fell victim to the AFL's naked grab for national domination, before emotionally returning to his true spiritual home.'

He left for the cashola. I understand why and I don't resent him for it.

I simply don't believe he deserves the opportunity to have some cloying footy mythology written around a prospective nostalgic return to the Cattery.

It's neater the way it is. And a far more fitting representation of the motivation and mindset of the greatest player of this generation.

Hope he gets back and enthrals us all with his sublime talent. But I'm very comfortable to remember his time with us as a 'season' in an amazing career rather than engaging in the pretence that he never really 'committed himself' to any club other than the hoops.

I dont see the thought process here with Geelong saying they want him back, with his dodgy shoulder you would get 2-3 years out of him max at ridiculous money, it doesn't make sense, could it be a scare tactic for Paddy Dangerfield who knows but I doubt there is any real interest in having him back because we can definitely kiss PD goodbye if thats the case and I know which one I would rather have.

Gold Coast board (and Sam Maclure from 3AW) reckon he is about to sign a new deal and it's just being finalized. 3m over 3 years.

They did also concede he's apparently been going to sign for 6 months.

Still I think there is no chance at all of him leaving there

Someone had better put a leash on Teach. Poor bloke will be all over himself if this gets any real momentum…

GO Catters

Would have him back if he agreed to sign a 3-year, $500k a season deal, nothing more. No way would it be a good deal for the cats paying him $1m a season, as he is 31 and has a dodgy shoulder, will never be 100% again.

99% sure though that he will sign with the Suns for a further 3-years.

Would have him back if he agreed to sign a 3-year, $500k a season deal, nothing more. No way would it be a good deal for the cats paying him $1m a season, as he is 31 and has a dodgy shoulder, will never be 100% again.

99% sure though that he will sign with the Suns for a further 3-years.
image.jpg

$1 million a year, at almost 31 years old, with a shot shoulder.

It's certainly way over what he's worth purely as a player.

I guess they still want him to sell the franchise. What a way to finish a stellar career. As a salesman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back