Traded Harley Balic [traded to Melbourne] [retired]

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh ok I wasnt following the board as I was browsing here :)

Mmmm I think he'll still be on our list next year TBH.

I seriously don't know why Freo bothered drafting this kid when clearly the word around was he didn't want to leave Vic.
I think interstate clubs from WA and SA need to draft the best talent available from their state.

I seriously don't know why Freo bothered drafting this kid when clearly the word around was he didn't want to leave Vic.
I think interstate clubs from WA and SA need to draft the best talent available from their state.
1 in 8 or 1 in 10 players come from WA or SA.

You simply can not just draft players from your state, but you do have to accept you will loose your fair share.

1 in 8 or 1 in 10 players come from WA or SA.

You simply can not just draft players from your state, but you do have to accept you will loose your fair share.
1 in 8 is actually a perfectly fine amount, since WA teams make up 1 in 9 of the competition's teams.

Don't like Sloane, Talia and the Crouch brothers to name a few?

1 in 8 is actually a perfectly fine amount, since WA teams make up 1 in 9 of the competition's teams.

It would be fine if we had exclusive access to them.

But we don't, so once a heap of them are inevitably snapped up by other clubs we'd be drafting lower quality players just to make up the numbers if we limited ourselves to WA players.

Except if you have pick 10, and the only worthy 1st round rounder this year went at pick 5.

It just is not possible to only take WA talent unless they introduced a bidding system like they have for the academies.

You may also want a forward while the WA player is a midfielder or defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talia came here single, met an Adelaide girl that didn't want to move.. Talia trapped :)
the croch brothers are still young and im sure they will return one day and Sloane is a FA at the end of next year.. so he might return.

Still reckon initial draftee contracts should be four years for exactly this reason - make the kids actually think about signing up for a National Draft, instead of just going "yeah, I can piss off for two years and then come back".

It would be fine if we had exclusive access to them.

But we don't, so once a heap of them are inevitably snapped up by other clubs we'd be drafting lower quality players just to make up the numbers if we limited ourselves to WA players.

Except if you have pick 10, and the only worthy 1st round rounder this year went at pick 5.

It just is not possible to only take WA talent unless they introduced a bidding system like they have for the academies.

You may also want a forward while the WA player is a midfielder or defender.
Totally right, I really just meant the numbers worked out. It was a small point.

Still reckon initial draftee contracts should be four years for exactly this reason - make the kids actually think about signing up for a National Draft, instead of just going "yeah, I can piss off for two years and then come back".

Agree. Free agency is only going to make this worse. The hard bit is players have no value after 2 years of playing wafl but young kpps need that to develop.

How would you handle the Josh Simpson or Harry Marsh situation?? You just need to pay out contract??

A lot of drafted players are not kept on the list for 4 years for various reasons.

I've said this on another thread, but the clubs should have options over 1 & 2 round draftees for 3rd and 4th years. The higher the draft pick, the more the option costs the club (e.g. Pick 1 if the club take up the option of the 3rd year means the club might have to commit to paying the player 400k for their 3rd year, and for the 4th year 550k if they take that option).

Please explain the worth of a player taken at pick 38 2 years ago. Factoring in his 2 absences due to personal issues as well as the fact he's shown next to nothing.
Balic may not hold much value at this point in time. But substantiate how your version of balic is equal in value plus weller?

Please explain the worth of a player taken at pick 38 2 years ago. Factoring in his 2 absences due to personal issues as well as the fact he's shown next to nothing.

The Dockers would probably get better value with a player trade rather than a pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back