Traded Harley Bennell [traded with #22 to Fremantle for #16 and #35]

Remove this Banner Ad

Serious question for those in the know - Were there any questions about Bennell's character before he was drafted or has this all developed because he was a teenager getting paid a fortune while living on the Gold Coast?

Geez, great deal by Freo (am jealous).

With that deal, there's really not that much risk. He's basically been valued at a pick around 28-30. A draftee picked at this stage is unlikely to even play 20 games. Bennel could only play 1 decent season before going off the rails and Freo have still come out in front.

Give his talent and how much additional reward there could be they have done very well.

Bennell will be on the best stuff money can buy over there.

As soon as he walks in he will be greeted by Michael Johnson who will give him a detailed tour of where to get the best stuff.

Then will team up with Benny Cousins and only have 3 sleeps until Christmas.

Serious question for those in the know - Were there any questions about Bennell's character before he was drafted or has this all developed because he was a teenager getting paid a fortune while living on the Gold Coast?

Apparently he was sent home from the AIS before being drafted, although I couldn't find a reference for that. Most of his pre-draft write ups were pretty positive

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/7562614/harleys-world-not-all-razzle-and-dazzle/

"We made him captain because of his leadership and not because of his talent. He was really good off the field. He made sure the boys did the right thing and were always where they were meant to be on time. He really showed a different side to himself as a leader," Tilbury said.

"I met the family through a mutual friend who went to church with them when Harley was 10 and have known them ever since. Kayleen has done a great job with them. There's nine kids so they know they can't just get what they want, but they never complain and are so polite.

Matthew Lloyd has said he was cut from the AFL/AIS academy squad as a 16 y/o (? Was an underage squad I believe?) due to his behaviour and lack of commitment.
If the concerns raised about him returning to Perth and being around a certain group of his friends are correct (I have no idea if they are), then this would also suggest that his challenges existed long before his time on the GC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, what a bargain. I think the risks are seriously overstated, he'll be great for Freo.

Apparently he was sent home from the AIS before being drafted, although I couldn't find a reference for that. Most of his pre-draft write ups were pretty positive

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/7562614/harleys-world-not-all-razzle-and-dazzle/

"We made him captain because of his leadership and not because of his talent. He was really good off the field. He made sure the boys did the right thing and were always where they were meant to be on time. He really showed a different side to himself as a leader," Tilbury said.

"I met the family through a mutual friend who went to church with them when Harley was 10 and have known them ever since. Kayleen has done a great job with them. There's nine kids so they know they can't just get what they want, but they never complain and are so polite.

wow i'd be surprised he's not instated captain if pav retires.. sounds like the perfect role model

think the tigers pulled out of that one... like i said good luck freo.
yeah, nah. Don't think that's what happened at all. All conjecture though at the end of the day.

Bennell will be on the best stuff money can buy over there.

As soon as he walks in he will be greeted by Michael Johnson who will give him a detailed tour of where to get the best stuff.

Then will team up with Benny Cousins and only have 3 sleeps until Christmas.

Stupid comment

wow i'd be surprised he's not instated captain if pav retires.. sounds like the perfect role model

No offence, but no matter how genuine they might be, any Tigers fans talking down Bennell in this thread will always appear to have sour grapes considering they way they carried on when he had dinner with Dusty. Probably best to just let time be the judge

Remove this Banner Ad

Back