MRP / Trib. Hawkins - 1 Week suspension for contact with an umpire

What sanction, if any, will Hawkins receive?

• 2 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

McKay was disappointing. Good opportunity for him to show some class, diffuse any angst and he went the complete wrong way instead. Carrying on as if they are the ‘wronged party’ here. Get over yourself.
No wonder they are making slow progress if people like him make such poor choices.
Welcome to K.Park next week bluebaggers.
When you read the McKay comments (sooking), makes you pleased + proud by the way Scott + Hawkins replied to questions about the unfair suspension.

At times I do think Geelong should stand up + fight more, but then I remember that Geelong are an honourable team + don't stoop to complaining or go running off to Gilligan.

I suppose the Club chooses to pick its battles, the Selwood appeal was a great result.

But will the Umpire who ran in front of two players going for the ball in last nights game and who may have touched one of them as he flung his arm out be suspended for unintentional contact with a player?
The Umpires are at a very low point of competency at the moment

But will the Umpire who ran in front of two players going for the ball in last nights game and who may have touched one of them as he flung his arm out be suspended for unintentional contact with a player?
The Umpires are at a very low point of competency at the moment
I’m starting to think they are trying to be this bad to force the AFL to start paying them full time

Can’t recall a season when they have been this bad personally

I’m starting to think they are trying to be this bad to force the AFL to start paying them full time

Can’t recall a season when they have been this bad personally
Umpire grandstanding has crept back into the game. Remember when Razor was constantly stopping games for silly reasons + was pulled up by the AFL. The 09GF in the first half was like that, then the umpires must have been told to reign in the stoppages + the second half was free flowing.

I, like other posters, am baffled by umpires getting so close to players! BLOW THE WHISTLE + stay back! WTF was the umpire doing in the middle of the melee, when May touched him? Umpires must take some responsibility for their part. As in the Hawkins contact, there were two GWS players gunning for Hawkins, who was walking away, but Margetts just had to approach Tom to explain the free kick. Hawkins said he knew why the penalty was given, so why did Margetts think it was necessary to get close to a fraught situation to explain it? Blow the whistle, stand back + call Tomahwk over to him, if it was that important to Margetts.

Umpire grandstanding has crept back into the game. Remember when Razor was constantly stopping games for silly reasons + was pulled up by the AFL. The 09GF in the first half was like that, then the umpires must have been told to reign in the stoppages + the second half was free flowing.

I, like other posters, am baffled by umpires getting so close to players! BLOW THE WHISTLE + stay back! WTF was the umpire doing in the middle of the melee, when May touched him? Umpires must take some responsibility for their part. As in the Hawkins contact, there were two GWS players gunning for Hawkins, who was walking away, but Margetts just had to approach Tom to explain the free kick. Hawkins said he knew why the penalty was given, so why did Margetts think it was necessary to get close to a fraught situation to explain it? Blow the whistle, stand back + call Tomahwk over to him, if it was that important to Margetts.

Because umpires have become too self-important, and know that they can what they like on the field with impunity.

I remember last year the allegation that Brad Scott made about an umpire being unfair to Lindsay Thomas. Mark Evans dismissed the allegation, instead of investigating it. Granted, Scott had a flimsy case, and he wasn't across his facts. But Evans' response the next morning of the incident convinced me that they won't investigate an allegation made against the umpires under any circumstances.

I would be interested to see who the AFL would side with if an indigenous player accused an umpire of racism, or an AFLW player accused an umpire of sexual harrassment. On one hand, the AFL like to look like they are defenders of race and women's rights, but then they defend the umpires to the hilt, and won't allow anyone to make even constructive criticism of them.

I think if an umpire really did do anything untoward, they would just be phased out, and not used again, but it wouldn't be made public.

Not being able to criticise umpires isn't going to stop umpire abuse at junior levels, since most of it is done by parents, not children. Local footy needs to sort out its own problems rather than blame the AFL when things don't work out as they should.

surprised by the lack of changes this week, but I guess that injury list has saved a few arses yet again.
Anyone know what big Savs injury is, and how many years he’ll be missing

Here's how our ins and outs should go, based on your last comment:-

OUT:- Our medical, conditioning and fitness staff

IN:- A completely new medical, conditioning and fitness staff.

Because umpires have become too self-important, and know that they can what they like on the field with impunity.

I remember last year the allegation that Brad Scott made about an umpire being unfair to Lindsay Thomas. Mark Evans dismissed the allegation, instead of investigating it. Granted, Scott had a flimsy case, and he wasn't across his facts. But Evans' response the next morning of the incident convinced me that they won't investigate an allegation made against the umpires under any circumstances.

I would be interested to see who the AFL would side with if an indigenous player accused an umpire of racism, or an AFLW player accused an umpire of sexual harrassment. On one hand, the AFL like to look like they are defenders of race and women's rights, but then they defend the umpires to the hilt, and won't allow anyone to make even constructive criticism of them.

I think if an umpire really did do anything untoward, they would just be phased out, and not used again, but it wouldn't be made public.

Not being able to criticise umpires isn't going to stop umpire abuse at junior levels, since most of it is done by parents, not children. Local footy needs to sort out its own problems rather than blame the AFL when things don't work out as they should.

Well said Catters, agree with all you've said.

I wrote to the AFL umpire manager about five years ago, suggesting that if the AFL actually admitted that umpires do make mistakes the supporters would have more respect. Strangely, I only received a perfunctory reply stating that my correspondence would be replied to in due course. No response was ever received. As expected.

one more player touched an Umpire today, think it was Fremantle one. Will be interesting to see how that plays out. Commentators on either ABC or 3AW all agreed a fine. Only Tom gets suspended ( yes I know that one Carlton player did but he wasn't hung without a trial)

Well said Catters, agree with all you've said.

I wrote to the AFL umpire manager about five years ago, suggesting that if the AFL actually admitted that umpires do make mistakes the supporters would have more respect. Strangely, I only received a perfunctory reply stating that my correspondence would be replied to in due course. No response was ever received. As expected.

I remember on the SEN morning show (when Ox and Mark Allen was doing it) that they had on a segment where an umpire came on and explained some of the decisions of the week.

I remember they had umpire Brad Vozzo, and hearing him explain decisions and rules opened my eyes to why they paid that decision. It was good hearing what the umpire said he saw, and how it works.

Look, some people will boo umpires no matter what. But I think most reasonable members of the public would have more respect for umpires if they were allowed to explain their decisions and answer for them. It isn't criticising them, but gaining more understanding in why they made the decision they make.

I think, just the coaches have to do a presser after the game, that the umpires should face the media and explain decisions that they made as well. I tip that if they did that, there would be less confusion and more understanding gained.

Purple NTTAWWT headbuts another player- no case to answer

Seriously Tom needs a statue for the s**t he has been suspended for

Afl are shite

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Purple NTTAWWT headbuts another player- no case to answer

Seriously Tom needs a statue for the s**t he has been suspended for

Afl are shite

Did he get anything for the punch he threw before that?

Christian today on Martin

"I think it's important to say that because those guidelines aren't specific, at match review level, we've decided to interpret .... intentional umpire contact as being when a player disrespectfully, aggressively, dismissively or forcefully intentionally touches an umpire."

Next week Hocking and Christian are going to slip over to England for 3 or 4 days, to re-write the other quarter of a million or so words in the Oxford English Dictionary.

Christian today on Martin

"I think it's important to say that because those guidelines aren't specific, at match review level, we've decided to interpret .... intentional umpire contact as being when a player disrespectfully, aggressively, dismissively or forcefully intentionally touches an umpire."

Next week Hocking and Christian are going to slip over to England for 3 or 4 days, to re-write the other quarter of a million or so words in the Oxford English Dictionary.
Hawkins should have a case for yellow white idiot getting into his space

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-18/dusty-fined-over-intentional-ump-contact

I'd love for someone to watch footage of the incident and explain how it's not intentional contact considering the umpire is walking away when Dusty "demonstrates" his pushing Danger in the back technique
It’s because it’s Dustin “I hate the publicly but I have a look at me look at me haircut” Martin. He can’t do a thing wrong.

No one will get suspended ever again for that.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-18/dusty-fined-over-intentional-ump-contact

I'd love for someone to watch footage of the incident and explain how it's not intentional contact considering the umpire is walking away when Dusty "demonstrates" his pushing Danger in the back technique
I think the problem with AFL is there are so many grey areas within the rules. If you saw the Toby McLean free kick on the weekend when he dived on the ball it could have been:
A. Free kick against. Contact below the knees.
B. Free kick for. High contact.
C. Play on.

It’s because it’s Dustin “I hate the publicly but I have a look at me look at me haircut” Martin. He can’t do a thing wrong.

No one will get suspended ever again for that until the next time a Geelong player does it.

Edited for accuracy.

Perverse but this has made me laugh -
If it wasn’t embarrassing enough for the AFL about the contradictions with the Curnows (and forced intervention) the week after the “zero tolerance” with Hawkins, now Christian finds he can interpret away an offence that was previously straight to Tribunal.

I didn’t disagree with Hawk getting a week but it is hilarious how the “line in the sand” gets drawn then a curve inserted, usually for star players of the “loud” clubs.

I would like to propose an annual “Barry Hall” award for the most contrived MRC/tribunal backflip of the year - any interest?

Back