Autopsy Hawks fall short against the Swans - Rd 8 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I know this disregards how poor we are playing right now but we have never been a wet weather side. Even in our premiership years we struggled in the wet, its just something I've come to expect of us, for good or bad.
I recall a reasonably ordinary night in Canberra in late July 2019 where we destroyed the most talented list in the competition who ultimately made it to the GF. It snowed FFS and we hammered GWS.

Seems like a decade ago.

What do you say? Not much we are at rebuild stage so we'll go with it.

I'd like our coach to stop lieing about that like Dan Andrews but we'll go with it.

My only real concern is Phat HQ unless he was being facetious said Hardwick was ok today, to be sure papley ripped him a new on one, But ok if that is ok because the rest of the team ain't going so well either, I'll wear it.

I recall a reasonably ordinary night in Canberra in late July 2019 where we destroyed the most talented list in the competition who ultimately made it to the GF. It snowed FFS and we hammered GWS.

Seems like a decade ago.
I think hanging on to those ‘sample spaces’ is a serious problem with this club atm

Drop - Stratton, Scully, Lewis, Shiels all omitted for being terrible for too long

In - Maginness for being the only other kid of quality on our list, then include 3 others in our squad in form.

Also try and have only 3 outside players, Smith, Henderson, Scully, Morrison, Wingard act equals a poor tackling/defensive team, it's why we get embarrassed regularly, too many soft outside players.

Our midfield tried for a half, but they need a better fitness base, something to work on maybe?, Jack Russell's leaving is starting to hurt, I wish this was like in 16, 17, 18 or 19 where it was an easy fix, these problems are rotten to the core.

The sky is falling!
Stratts is old news... last year old
Mids are 1 dimensional
What forwards?
Out coached again.

Morrison was solid.

Love Hardwick. This guy is Hawthorn!

Jags needs to play more outside. Just about any FA available that can get him the ball should be a target. Yes, Crouch.

Minch... sorry bud great story but we should have gone with a perspective kid, whatever his name was.

Lewis. Phwah... he will come good in a season or 2.

Wingard is looking like he knows he has to do it himself. I don’t blame him. Keep on keeping on but do it in the midfield.

Day, what a kid! 70kg wet and he is cracking in. More Blokes should take a lead out of his book.

Worps tried today. Needs to let go of the B&F and enjoy his footy. He was all smiles last year. This year he is all puffy and rigid.

Clarko was definitely to smart for his own good this week.
We needed something and it was Sicily to late. We could have structured up after half time to win but we, yet again trotted out the same old same. At least he made a change.

Burgoyne I feel will be a Gibson type fall.

Well done Chip! Someone has to fly the flag, just don’t be so dumb about it.

Big Kegs started well but went missing.

Morris has had his couple. I’d be looking at all of Moore and Ollie with Minch and Morris going out.

Looking forward to the boys playing Pitto. He held his own today against a player that completely tore our rucks a new one.

The bigger ground will do us some structural favours in the West but we will be over run by Carlton and West Coast.

I’m watching for Day. I’m watching for Jags to lead. I’m watching for Hardwick to be himself. Rate him!

Hot tip... watch the GC. It’s actually exciting football

Agree with everything you said.

Great post.

The gameplan is the problem. We play for stoppages. We don't move the ball to score. It's pathetic. Once Syd realised this, they took the game on and won.

One passage of play saw us soccer the ball 3 times to get I50. Seriously? Was under 10s s**t. These guys are getting paid $600k to kick it off the ground?

We are playing to minimise the damage. If this continues, we'll have the number 1 pick. Don't worry. On form we're the worst team in it right now. We'd lose to Adelaide.

Our list isn't that bad. It's the gameplan. Unless it changes the season is a right off.

Imagine playing in a team where you are coached to move the ball without scoring?

Let that sink in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like a decade ago.
There's going to be exceptions but we have absolutely been a terrible wet weather team over the years

What I would like this week is for the Board to have a conversation with Reeves, Wright & Clarkson. Firstly to tell them what is happening is unacceptable (just to make them feel it and if any of them arc up let them know that the club is bigger than the individual), secondly to outline the immediate plans to rectify the situation and finally for them to give an update on the future plans for the coming years. If the Board aren't happy with the future plans they should either intervene or ask for an external to review and advise (There's some bloke doing a review for Adelaide that might be worth listening to).
Very good post, the current narrative is that the coaching job is Clarkson's for as long as he wants it?
Everyone has an expiry, everyone.
There are very strong parallels between Boltons last few weeks at Carlton and the way Hawthorn is currently playing.

Could not beat an injury depleted Sydney full of youngsters for Gunston's 200th.

Well there is absolutely, categorically, no denying it anymore. We are a bottom four team and any talk of contending is fantasy land stuff. Even the most deluded fans have to agree.

It doesn't matter of Clarko is the GOAT coach or not, the hard questions need to be asked if he believes that and continues down this same path with this absolutely rubbish game plan.

I hope the media scrutiny is turned up yet again.

We will get nothing from this season persisting with Stratton, Burgoyne and the rest of the old brigade. Play the kids, give them a chance.
This team reminds me of the Peter Schwab days.
No hunger and soft

I think questions on Gunston should be there, too, who is perhaps the most cooked player at the club at the moment. That would leave O’Meara, Mitchell, McEvoy and Shiels with basically no one else able to step up as a good enough leader AND a good enough player.

I get where you're coming from, I disagree though - maybe Bruest if he wanted it. You need leaders in each line, not just a handful of mids.
Gunston's stale. Still has it, but he's best maybe looking for a change of scene.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back