Autopsy Hawks fall short against the Swans - Rd 8 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

So, probably time for everyone to realise it wasn't just the GWS ground
Exactly, never was or will be the grounds fault.

Lewis is gonna suck until:
A) Midfield issues are dealt with
B) He has time to establish a partnership with Patton or O’Brien or Jeka or Nash
Correct, and rotate all the names with Lewis. They can’t be expected to play well with that rubbish ahead of them.

We are sloppy. Where are the clean hands at ground level.

We have no leadership. Stratton needs to go.
It was laughable in the second half how we were playing with soap yet they were still one touch in the wet. The contrast simply highlights how low on confidence our players are. But why??

Stratts, you were a big game hero for us on many occasions but it’s gone past you. Thanks for everything and best of luck.

We’ve been coached to defend. Everything we do is to defend. Even when we have the ball we hold it as long as possible to let our defence set up then kick it long down the line.
Clarko seems to have fallen in love with the way Ross and Horse had success with “less talented teams” but those teams had a heap of talent. They just seemed less talented due to the game plan.
Start attacking and taking the game on and this list will look so much better. Everyone on our list can play footy they’ve just got to be given a licence to do so.
I’m happy getting beaten taking the game on and trying to win. But playing just to not lose is not the way to play at all.
I wanna see full on aggressive play for the rest of the year. Just let the players have fun. The reason the end of last year went so well was because we were having fun but also attacking
You absolutely nailed it. We're coached to defend.

We move the ball in a way to protect the defence.

Problem now is, we can't score. And opposition teams know it.

Over to you Clarko.

Bolded point above is spot on. Was almost like Horse flicked a switch.
It was clear as day how the match changed when the Swans took the game on, took risks, played through the corridor etc.
What make sit worse is that our zone defence is entirely set up to stop this.. Clarkson built a good list, then was ahead of the curve with zones.. but in the last five years the game has gone past him i feel

Agree watching the saints tonight they just play the corridor and it looks like they are playing a different game. Surely personnel wise we are as even as the saints...this gameplan must be deflating for our forward line
Saints looked very good in the last quarter. They may not win the whole deal, but they will be in the finals for sure..

Clarko shouldn’t have commented on Papley milking frees, absolutely ask for consistency and mention the free kick count again being very lopsided, but don’t comment on other teams.
We’ll cop sh1t about this all week, Ralphy’s comments are just the entree. Maybe it’s Clarko‘s way of bringing the heat off the team and onto elsewhere.
Glad their off to Perth, can close ranks over there as their media only know 2 teams, and one of those barely gets a mention.

We’ve been coached to defend. Everything we do is to defend. Even when we have the ball we hold it as long as possible to let our defence set up then kick it long down the line.
Clarko seems to have fallen in love with the way Ross and Horse had success with “less talented teams” but those teams had a heap of talent. They just seemed less talented due to the game plan.
Start attacking and taking the game on and this list will look so much better. Everyone on our list can play footy they’ve just got to be given a licence to do so.
I’m happy getting beaten taking the game on and trying to win. But playing just to not lose is not the way to play at all.
I wanna see full on aggressive play for the rest of the year. Just let the players have fun. The reason the end of last year went so well was because we were having fun but also attacking

Defence is fine, so long as you turn it into attack. The ball needs to transfer quickly through half back and into attack to give forwards a 50/50 chance. As a former forward myself, there's nothing worse than slow indirect passages into attack. You don't know when to lead, you end up second guessing yourself. Once the ball is held up across half back, you are playing a losing style of footy.

What game style should we play? We don’t have the leg speed or footskills or tall targets to play ‘quick’ which people keep banging on about. We try but it lasts about 10 minutes and teams shut it down then score. When Sydney flicked the switch we couldn’t keep up.

We have some inside mids who are okay with contested ball but can’t kick or burst away. Our wings are more grinders than burst players. Our back is pretty strong defensively but not great at rebounding. We lack talls up front but have some elite mid sized opportunists in Gunston, wingard and Breust that can kick a few but don’t really have the pressure forwards around them to take risk on aggressive entries.

You put all this together and a stoppage heavy, defensive orientated style to limit counter attacks (where we get burned) and aim to lock ball in 50 enough to hopefully scrounge a winning score unfortunately aligns pretty well with our 22 that Clarko puts on the park.

If we want to play a more offensive style then we need to trial a lot more players and see if anyone outside the 22 can contribute - as the current group are not set up for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has to go.
I've stuck by him this year because I know how much defensive running he does to clog space and provide pressure, but he is severely down on form this year. Honestly think he's probably luck Golds & Impey did their knees tbh.

Defence is fine, so long as you turn it into attack. The ball needs to transfer quickly through half back and into attack to give forwards a 50/50 chance. As a former forward myself, there's nothing worse than slow indirect passages into attack. You don't know when to lead, you end up second guessing yourself. Once the ball is held up across half back, you are playing a losing style of footy.

very true. To see senior players directing passages of play towards the Forward pocket as a safety measure when we are behind was extremely worrying to me.

I can’t recall us trying to head through the middle much at all. The whole day was obviously planned around a slog and arm wrestle, territory battle etc etc but in the end the swans had more dash and flair when the game needed it while we continued to try and play safe down the line grind footy.

Back 8 in 2018.

Impey - gun, but ACL in 2019
Henderson - gun, but on the downhill now
Burgoyne - legend, now too slow so plays forward
Sicily - clever, but can’t defend lead up targets, and loves to play loose
Frawley - big body, can’t kick, never could
Stratton - medium body, can’t kick never could
Hardwick - solid citizen
Schoenmakers/O’Brien - fills a gap only

Who/what has replaced them?

Hawthorn was a laughing stock before Kennedy arrived, now he's gone we've had 1 narrow poor win against a struggling North and 4 embarrassing losses.

Has the club died with him?
Come on man I expect more from you than that. I get it you feel crap and down but don’t start clutching at because Kangas gone Hawthorn’s gone. Everyone from Clarko to the boot studder need to take what the great man instilled in our great club and do something. Everyone needs to give a little more and not come up with silly excuses.

I can’t recall us trying to head through the middle much at all.
Going through the middle has been almost completely absent in the last 3 weeks. It's maddening how predictable and stale we are with our boundary line play

Forget a coaching change everyone.
If anyone really thinks this, they haven’t been watching for the past 15 years. I agree we need a change of game plan but if anyone deserves a chance, then Clarko deserves two. End of.

... the efforts of Sydney's tall forwards to halve contests etc. that weren't happening in our forward line.
Amazing what different types of entries can do for a forwards impact on a game. If only we’d give ours a chance! When I saw Gunston hit lace out last week even I stood taller. Pity it was a once off.

Unfortunately Clarko dropped his code tonight. Horse is right, you don't critique opposition players, you critique your own players (& there's plenty to whinge about). At least he was partially right when he said we lacked polish, but everyone knows ... you can't polish a turd. AC needs to focus on the multiple deficiencies in our own game plan and on our own list before he criticises others. There's been plenty of problems highlighted in this thread, but for me our DE is the most embarrassing aspect of our game. Very un-hawthorn like. Hawthorn is broken at the minute.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back