Preview Hawks vs Dogs - Changes and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
BHH play this weekend even though Hawthorn don't. I believe Gibson is down to play this weekend, if he gets through well he would come in for the Dogs.

As for the rest of the thread, Muston on Murphy for mine, assuming the Dogs line up with him down back again.

I'm not sure who the matchup for Gilham is at the dogs, he just doesn't have the pace (and frankly isn't having his best year). Perhaps Hahn. I reckon Gibson is our best matchup on Hall if fit, despite being cut up a bit in the pre-season. Whoever plays on him will need to get some help on the lead. I'd be happy with Schoenmakers on Grant, but will he be playing? I'd need to count up our defenders and check the full matchups.

How many games has Gibson missed? It is a big big game against the Dogs in the context of our next month. Not so sure we should be bringing Gibson in back after only 1 week at BHH particularly given no-one in the seniors glaringly deserves to be left out.

I agree that if R Murphy plays back the Musto is the match up and I think that Stratton should go to Hall. R Murphy looked the best he has for ages last week so we must watch him. Will be interesting if Lake goes forward how we handle the match-ups.

Having watched tulldogs over t last few weeks last t we want to do is underestimate Jared Grant. I think with the attention that Hall gets the doggies ave looked more and more to Grant as their goto man.

I reckon Stratton is the man for the job as he has a direct link to God.

Other match ups would be Thomas Murphy on Hill, Guerra on Johnson, Schoenmakers on Hall (maybe Gibson if fit and plays out of his skin at Box Hill).

I think we should put our faith in Mitchell, Sewell, Lewis, Rioli and Burgoyne to beat their midfield - Buddy, Roughie, Ossie, Muston and Youngy to kick enough goals

and finally Both Hodgey and the ruckmen to drift back and float across Barry Hall.

Would dearly love to win this game and the StKilda one

Mr. Nuisance will play on Hall, Hall will deck him and the umps will pay 50m after 50m penalty until rocket takes Hall of for the rest of the game. Buddy will play back pocket coz he's done and dusted the run off the wing thing, run about 1000m each possession and kick 10...

Mr. Nuisance will play on Hall, Hall will deck him and the umps will pay 50m after 50m penalty until rocket takes Hall of for the rest of the game. Buddy will play back pocket coz he's done and dusted the run off the wing thing, run about 1000m each possession and kick 10...

Buddy is more likely to kick 0.10 than 10.

Be interesting to see if Bateman tags this game. Cooney is obviously a key threat but I would imagine his overhead ability and bodywork puts him out of Bateman's capabilities. Boyd & Cross are both inside midfielders that don't suit him either. Possibly Higgins if he's back or Harbrow although I don't think I'd like to see him in the forward line.

Hudson is as big an issue in my view as Hall...although Lake on Buddy is also an issue due to Roughead's current lack of form...

Their backline matches up well against us, I think Rioli is an issue for them as Harbrow is unlikely to be defensively minded enough to not make it a game of Russian Roulette.

Skip is too slow, keep him in the ruck.
Not there to chase him, there to fill a hole, block space for Barry to lead into. Hall only got on top in the last quarter because their midfield completely took over. Just gotta win in the middle, let Buddy run and try not to leave Hall one out. Have Murph, Goo and whoever else can running over to make sure we've got the numbers at the contest.

instead of wasting him in the forward line where's he's not doing much, i suggest experimenting with roughead on hall. he's certainly big and strong enough for the job.

Just not quick enough. For a big guy, Hall is really, really sharp on the lead and very agile.

I'd prefer to play our ruckmen a kick behind play and clogging up their forward fifty.

Missing from the last game we played them:
Skipper, Burgoyne, Muston, Young, Ozzie

Last time we had:
Brown, Gibson, Morton, Moss, Suckling

Look at our ins this time and maybe add either Brown or Gibson or both or even neither, those players above that were missing last time are a huge ins, if we are seriously back as contendors then we must beat those Dogs definately no excuses this time round if we cant beat them..

We were also missing Brad Sewell and Rhan Hooper I believe macdaddio.

Sewell is another good in, even though he isn't in the greatest form I would suspect he'll be asked to do a job on Cross, Boyd or perhaps Cooney.

Hoops probably won't play so perhaps no point counting him.

Our team is certainly looking much stronger than it was in Round 3, for sure. The Dogs are, like us, starting to get their mojo back, so it should be a cracker of a game.

Looking forward to it.

Muston or Osborne to tag Gilbee I suspect...perhaps even Brown if he is fit. Let Gilbee run free at your peril. Looking forward to the game guys...should be a belter.

In his current form, your blokes would do well to remember the 2008 QF. Far more chance you blokes sending someone to shut down Osborne than there is of him being used in a shut down role.

He is up and about and that usually translates to us being a very dangerous team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who gives a f$%k about Hall. If our midfield win and our forwards continue their great defencive work, then the ball will get down towards Hall at treacle speed. If we lose in the midfield, then we'll be in trouble.

Fact is, Dogs have struggled when teams have put a heap of pressure on them. Collingwood and Essendon have shown this of late. They only really shook West Coast off in the last qtr. They aren't exactly flying.

If we come to play with the same intent as we have over the last 3-4 weeks, then we can stop their run and Hall will be a limited factor.

Plus, they have to worry about a rejuvinated Franklin and (hopefully) a fresher Roughie.

Who gives a f$%k about Hall.

I do. After he destroyed us both times this year, I would like some preparation given to him. If he gets 4 or 5 early, it could get tough.

The good thing in our favour is that we get them at the MCG for once and we should be able to bash Bazza out of it.

I do. After he destroyed us both times this year, I would like some preparation given to him. If he gets 4 or 5 early, it could get tough.

The good thing in our favour is that we get them at the MCG for once and we should be able to bash Bazza out of it.

Should never judge too much from a pre-season game, and in the round 3 match as others have pointed out hall only got on top in the last quarter when our midfield applied no pressure and they ran forward with ease. Up until that point i believe gilham had the better of him

All teams like to raise the bar when playing us, and the Dogs will be no different me thinks, following a few up and down weeks. If we don't take our chances again (like the first 1.5 quarters of the Dons game) we won't win. What I find most interesting, though, is how the tactics will play out. Seems like we've been holding a bit back in recent games (Swans, Port, Crows, Dons) to outscore the opposition in the last 15 minutes. Hopefully we'll be good enough to do that against better opposition - which I reckon is possible with Sewell, Burger and Osborne improving each week. Jeez, if Sewell and Mitchell could find their 09' form, we'd be right in the mix.

One matter to consider and an important one, is that this game will be played at the MCG, not Etihad, i don't have figures to support their form, but a big ground - outdoors, will definitately favour the mighty hawks.

Will be a great game....a great hawthorn win!

this is circling the internest:

gill.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back