Preview Hawks vs Dogs - Changes and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Muston to Gilbee, surely?

Absolutely no doubt that Muston will play and get a forward tagging role on Gilbee or Harbrow.
There is no way that Muston can be dropped after that game, Clarko has been singing his praises for the past fortnight.
Why would he be dropped when he has taken Johncock completely out of the game and done another great job on Flectcher at the same time as kicking 3 super important goals on the night?

Muston may have found his role in the side, he is obviously growing in confidence and I am wrapt for him.
Go Beau:thumbsu:

In some ways we're a bit like the Hawks at the moment....gradually getting our best players back in the side playing well. This is going to be a last man standing affair and the possible ins and outs as well as positional changes have us all guessing.

Lake has done extremely well on Franklin in recent times but that was before Buddy started galloping up and down the ground using his pace and engine to maximium advantage. Lake won't be able to sustain the running so I expect Morris to go to Buddy and Lake to Roughy.

Picken usually does a job on Bateman but I expect him to go to Rioli if he plays in the middle to try and limit his effectiveness (what a little gun Rioli is). Don't be surprised to see Harbrow move into the midfield. Eade experimented with this against Wesrtcoast and I liked what I saw....adds dash and unpredicatibility.

Muston or Osborne to tag Gilbee I suspect...perhaps even Brown if he is fit. Let Gilbee run free at your peril. Looking forward to the game guys...should be a belter.

In some ways we're a bit like the Hawks at the moment....gradually getting our best players back in the side playing well. This is going to be a last man standing affair and the possible ins and outs as well as positional changes have us all guessing.

Lake has done extremely well on Roughead in recent times but that was before Buddy started galloping up and down the ground using his pace and engine to maximium advantage. Lake won't be able to sustain the running so I expect Morris to go to Buddy and Lake to Roughy.

Picken usually does a job on Bateman but I expect him to go to Rioli if he plays in the middle to try and limit his effectiveness (what a little gun Rioli is). Don't be surprised to see Harbrow move into the midfield. Eade experimented with this against Wesrtcoast and I liked what I saw....adds dash and unpredicatibility.

Muston or Osborne to tag Gilbee I suspect...perhaps even Brown if he is fit. Let Gilbee run free at your peril. Looking forward to the game guys...should be a belter.

Well said, think it will be a great game:)

Regardless of who comes in it's going to be really hard to drop someone.

Depending on match-ups and who comes back in the players most likely IMO to get the chop are:

1. Schoenmakers
2. Ladson
3. Muston
4. Ellis
5. Birchall
6. Murphy

They are the only 6 players I can honestly see getting dropped and you could easily argue with any one of them to stay in the team after their last 1-5 games. But if Brown is fit and Gibson stars at Box Hill then someone will have to make way for them. Thinking that Schoenmakers will definitely make way for Gibson despite playing really well (maybe play them both at Box Hill this week) and that'll mean Gilham > Hall, Gibson > Grant, Stratton > Hahn.

Conversely to come back in:

1. Brown
2. Gibson
3. Hooper
4. Peterson
5. Whitecross
6. Shiels

Thinking that Schoenmakers will definitely make way for Gibson despite playing really well (maybe play them both at Box Hill this week) and that'll mean Gilham > Hall, Gibson > Grant, Stratton > Hahn.

Just a tip.....you're going to need someone a lot quicker than Gibson to play on Grant. The kid has some serious toe and runs his arse off....Shoenmakers might be a little more agile.

Just a tip.....you're going to need someone a lot quicker than Gibson to play on Grant. The kid has some serious toe and runs his arse off....Shoenmakers might be a little more agile.

Gibbo actually has a yard of pace himself and his tank isn't bad either. Played midfield for a lot of his last year at the Roos. Shoey actually isn't that quick.....In saying that, I'm not really that familiar with Grant so...

Gibbo actually has a yard of pace himself and his tank isn't bad either. Played midfield for a lot of his last year at the Roos. Shoey actually isn't that quick.....In saying that, I'm not really that familiar with Grant so...

Grant would have Gibson covered in the pace department, in actual fact he is probably our quickest player over 10m and is starting to prove a difficult match-up.

Grant would have Gibson covered in the pace department, in actual fact he is probably our quickest player over 10m and is starting to prove a difficult match-up.
Considering Gibson used to play on Franklin when he was at North I'm pretty confident (if fit) he'd have the youngster's pace covered pretty well. If not Gibson then Stratton could go with him. To be honest he's far from our greatest concern considering he's yet to kick more than 2 goals (if I'm not mistaken) in a game.

I doubt Gibson or Hooper will be ready to play. I'm thinking both might need a week or two at BHH before being considered, despite the break next week.

If Brown is fit (?), he might come in for Schoey.

Peterson may come in for Muston to add some pace although Muston did a good defensive job against Sneddon and would be unlucky to miss out.

Considering Gibson used to play on Franklin when he was at North I'm pretty confident (if fit) he'd have the youngster's pace covered pretty well. If not Gibson then Stratton could go with him. To be honest he's far from our greatest concern considering he's yet to kick more than 2 goals (if I'm not mistaken) in a game.

Yeah probably not, I was just trying to point out that Grant would comfortably have Gibson covered in the pace department and regardless of if he used to stand Buddy I stand by that claim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah probably not, I was just trying to point out that Grant would comfortably have Gibson covered in the pace department and regardless of if he used to stand Buddy I stand by that claim.

Yep taking nothing away from Gibson I'd back Grant in the foot race every time.

Yep taking nothing away from Gibson I'd back Grant in the foot race every time.
Well if the result of the game somehow comes down to a Grand Final Sprint between Gibson and Grant we'll be sure to head home early. Thanks for the info!

Pace is utterly useless if you don't know how to exploit it.

Well if the result of the game somehow comes down to a Grand Final Sprint between Gibson and Grant we'll be sure to head home early. Thanks for the info!

Pace is utterly useless if you don't know how to exploit it.

You haven't seen Grant play that much I'm guessing then Nev? Has football smarts to match that pace. His only deficiency apart from being skinny is his set shot conversion.

You haven't seen Grant play that much I'm guessing then Nev? Has football smarts to match that pace. His only deficiency apart from being skinny is his set shot conversion.

I think what Nev is trying to say is that we'll be more concerned about Hall, Johnson, Murphy(if he plays forward), Hahn and Gia ahead of Grant.

Grant has impressed me at times, though:thumbsu:

Last time we played the Dogs we had 1 ruckman, lost gibo 1st term lost Lewis 2nd term, no Young, no Burgoyne, no Skipper, and we were ahead all game till the last 15 minutes.

While that is true it should be remembered that we actually finished the game with less fit players than Hawthorn. We finished the game with 1 player on the bench having lost Akermanis, Hargrave and Picken

That being said you're obviously playing a lot better now and it should be a good game. Very important game for both teams so hopefully there's a big crowd. Doggies already can't afford too many more losses if we're gonna be in the top 4, while a win against a quality side would give your turnaround a lot of momentum

While that is true it should be remembered that we actually finished the game with less fit players than Hawthorn. We finished the game with 1 player on the bench having lost Akermanis, Hargrave and Picken

That being said you're obviously playing a lot better now and it should be a good game. Very important game for both teams so hopefully there's a big crowd. Doggies already can't afford too many more losses if we're gonna be in the top 4, while a win against a quality side would give your turnaround a lot of momentum

Just 1 point though, for 7 weeks we had 1 ruck man and was sitting on 1 win 6 losses, now its no surprise that we now have 2 ruck man and have won the past 6 games, i know our ruck man may not be the best but it allows other players to play in their proper positions which also means we can run out games alot better now, even though we have only won 3 4th quarters we are still winning the games..

I doubt Gibson or Hooper will be ready to play. I'm thinking both might need a week or two at BHH before being considered, despite the break next week.
BHH play this weekend even though Hawthorn don't. I believe Gibson is down to play this weekend, if he gets through well he would come in for the Dogs.

As for the rest of the thread, Muston on Murphy for mine, assuming the Dogs line up with him down back again.

I'm not sure who the matchup for Gilham is at the dogs, he just doesn't have the pace (and frankly isn't having his best year). Perhaps Hahn. I reckon Gibson is our best matchup on Hall if fit, despite being cut up a bit in the pre-season. Whoever plays on him will need to get some help on the lead. I'd be happy with Schoenmakers on Grant, but will he be playing? I'd need to count up our defenders and check the full matchups.

instead of wasting him in the forward line where's he's not doing much, i suggest experimenting with roughead on hall. he's certainly big and strong enough for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back