Hawthorn’s 1971 Flag Triumph

Remove this Banner Ad

No problem with that, it's what BigFooty's all about. I only osed one liners to condense it down a bit.

Cool. It's a great addition to these threads I think.

Maybe the way to do it is to do a clean up once these threads are added to the master thread, and only add an edited version of the final player list. I'll have a chat to the Rusty One about it.

Re: Civilisation’s 10 Most Glorious Achievements – Hawthorn’s 1971 Flag

Magnificent!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for the memories. I was there behind the goals standing on four much stronger beer cans than those of today. Huddos misses were right in front of me but Cowboys bash was up the other end from me . Hudson was concussed all day. Maybe like "Rat " in 89 who didn't even know there'd been a GF!
I worked with Leon Rice briefly in 1975 for Halls Carpets he was a nice bloke. My mates and I returned for evening celebrations at the Beehive hotel in Richmond, where insued, a bloody nasty little stoush , but strangely, it was with Richmond people, don't ask me why. But storms were "inside" and "outside" that day.
All those guys were my heros at Hawthorn I was just soooo happy. Huddo always a legend, but Bob Keddie never forgotten . Poor old Trotty he came to Hawthorn eventually I think. Also in the last 50 years we have the most premiership cups as well
because they weren't actually presented with cups only Flags up until 1960 or so.
Some one may know more about that than me. I've had the pleasure of holding each one of those cups on a visit to Glenferrie and meeting my childhood hero Graham Arthur
several years ago famous no. 2. 1971 was the first GF I had ever been to and to see my club win was just unexplainable in feeling footy is so much more than just a game hey?
The photo I liked best was holding the 91 cup after we murdered those upstart Eagles.
We just may be entering another era of the Mighty Hawthorn Empire !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Moncrieff was one of my favourite players growing up as akid. I always thought he did not always get the credit for the great player he was.

He kicked over 600 goals and and spent alot of his time in the backline.

Also great thread guys brings back alot of memories!
Michael Moncrief was a champion spearhead and definately under rated and never spoken about much. I don't remember his recruited position but he was a hell of a forward for sure.

Here is a list of Hawks players in 1971. Next to theie names will be 2 numbers e.g. 15-12, this indicates 15 games played and 12 goals kicked. 1971 premiership players in bold.

1 Ron Stubbs 6-1 From Carrum, ended his career in Tasmania
2 Bob Keddie 23-39 4 goals in the final quarter, 132 game player
3 Peter Chilton 3-0 utility player from Jeparit
4 Ken Beck 7-0 veteran ruckman of 157 games with the Hawks
5 Peter Crimmins 24-30 brilliant rover and spiritual leader of the Hawks

6 Michael Moncrieff 9-3 Career 224 games, 629 goals for the Hawks
7 Charlie Grummisch 12-2 long kicking HF from Kilcunda-Bass
8 Kevin Heath 24-20 140 games for the Hawks as a CHB/ruck rover
9 Michael Porter 16-14 tough HF who dealt out classic bump to Carl Ditterich
10 Ray Wilson 8-0 centreman who won Hawks B&F in 1st year 1966

11 Lindsay Tipping 1-0 from Camberwell-Baptists
12 Robert Day 23-10 Dual All Australian from South Australia
13 Leon Rice 14-4 133 game wingman drom Drouin
14 Alan Martello 24-24 played 223 games then transferred to Richmond
15 Kelvin Moore 21-3 legendary FB and 300 gamer for the Hawks
16 Norm Bussell 22-0 tough CHB from Wangaratta Rovers

17 John Lewis 0-0 recruited from Claremont (WAFL)
18 Les Hawken 22-0 burly tall back pocket from Traralgon
19 Ross Johnson 2-0 utility player from Peninsula
20 Ian Bremner 17-1 tough HB from Collingwood, played 158 for the Hawks
21 Michael Blood 0-0 from St.Kevin's Old Bous
22 Geoff Smith 7-3 speedy red headed wingman with good foot skills
23 Don Scott 24-3 future captain who played 302 games for the Hawks
24 Peter Knights 22-4 brilliant Hawks legend, missed GF due to injury
25 John Hendrie 0-0 half forward destined for future premiership honours
26 Peter Hudson 24-150 Greatest FF ever to play the game
27 David Parkin 22-0 premiership captain and 211 games for the Hawks

28 Kelvin Matthews 0-0 rover and brother of Leigh
30 Des Meagher 19-3 tall left footer who played 198 games on the wing
31 Michael Francis 0-0 recruited from Bonbeach
32 Leigh Matthews 23-43 goalkicking rover, arguably the best of all time
33 Geoff Angus 17-7 tough centreman from Carey Grammar
34 Bruce Stevenson 19-11 Ruckman who starred in the 1971 2nd Semi Final

35 Brian Douge 7-2 reliable defender from Balwyn
36 Gene Chiron 8-0 half back, local from Hawthorn
40 Brian Shinners 10-1 reserve in the 2ns Semi final, missed selection in GF.
45 Michael Tuck 0-0 skinny kid expected to make it one day
Gene Chiron was one very tough cookie hey folks, hard man!

Lord Mud (and of course Griz) , what an excellent analysis of 71! Thanks for providing such an entertaining read, and the newspaper clippings are the icing on the cake!

My first (attended) game was not until the first round of 1972, so nice to see some of the details of 71 for the first time.

This was an era that seems totally foreign now, quite brutal in retrospect. Football was more than just a 'game', it was full on war - and the rules were very rubbery. The Hawks certainly pushed the physical side to the extreem. Too many years of being a league chopping block combined with an old school coach who had experienced being on the losing end too often, a great recipe for that fierce desire for success.

There was a lot of hype about 'Kennedys Commandos' in 1971, with emphasis on extreme physical fitness - in particular mental and physical toughness. One story i heard (unconfirmed) was one of the preseason training drills involved players jogging crosscountry with potato sacks full of crushed bricks on their backs..

On another note, its a great privilege being involved with a club with such a rich and successful history. Amazing to consider that a team like StKilda has only managed a single premiership in its history, despite fielding many fantastic teams. I wonder what their fans do to entertain themselves in the off season.

I believe much of our success in the 70's was the result of excellent coaching. We had some true champions, but the bulk of the players responsible for bringing home the silverware were not really greatly skilled. The difference between Hawthorn and the rest was that every ounce of potential and ability was extracted from second tier players by the coaching staff, and whatever skills a player was lacking were made up with intense hardness and a fanatical desire for success.

Screenshot2010-01-01at14656AM.png

Read all about it here: http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AJ&pg=5427,2733266&dq=1971+hudson+peter&hl=en

OK, I have finally got round to adding my two cents worth.

Whilst I can remember the 61 GF, I was still a little too young to remember the details other than the admiration for certain heroes - Edwards, Peck, Arthur. Watching the DVD of the 61 GF brought back a lot of dim memories, particularly how good Edwards really was, and how much I detested one EJW.

Anyway, on to 71. This was my first year away from home in country Vic. Lost in the big smoke. Lived in Prahran. Played footy with Powerhouse. Still like the jumper - St Kilda pattern but with green stripe instead of red. That took up every saturday afternoon, so didn't get to see a lot of the Hawks live.

1971 - the year I really discovered loose women and grog. Oh the nights out doing pub crawls (and kidding ourselves that we could pull a bird after downing a dozen pots) and venturing down to the local greasy chip shop to settle the stomach first thing in the morning, and 4am visits to Fitzroy St pizza shops for a large Tropicana (my tastes have developed since then). Sad to see they are gone now. Replaced by yuppy wine bars and expensive nouveau cuisine restaurants.

The Junction oval was a step away so I got to see the Hawks belt the Roys, but I recall them being a bit of a bogey side for us.

Grand Final time. It began with the long walk along Punt Road and entry to the Southern stand. Same area for both footy and cricket. Maybe because it was the closest gate. I drove a lime green FB Holden in those days but decided to leave that home.

There is not much I can add about the game itself that has not already been said. But a few things do stick in my mind.

Peter Hudson - this guy is my absolute Hawk Hero. For someone who looked and acted as soft as butter and could only kick a flat punt, he was simply amazing. His skills were really only two-fold:

a. He knew where to be to get the ball. He knew when to sit at the back of the pack, when to lead and when to take a speccy. Great hands and anticipation.

b. He could kick a flat, wobbly punt straighter than anyone else on the planet.

I went to the ground fully expecting to see the record fall. By the time he got his 150th, I thought it was a monty. And then imagine the heartbreak - three times.

1. He gets the ball clear at CHF races towards an open goal and shanked it. Sh1t.
2. Keddie gets the pill in the goal square and flicks it out to Huddo running in to an open goal. Yes. 151. No, free kick to Keddie. Sh1t. Sh1t.
3. Huddo on an angle. Lawrence on the mark. 25 yrds out. Kicks it into the man on the mark. Sh1t. Sh1t. Sh1t.

I really felt for him. The young guys get all moist when talking about Dunstall. He was great, but Huddo was the king, IMO.

Bob Keddie - what more can I say. Brilliant last quarter.

Kevin Heath - underrated in terms of Hawthorn star players. But this guy was immense that day. Have a look at the DVD if you haven't already seen it.

Never really noticed the long walk home. In fact, I can't really remember any of what followed. I do know, however, it was one very, very, wet night.

And there was something about a full rendition of the Woodpeckers Hole on a tabletop somewhere. If I could only remember.....

1971 was a year of records

th_img050-1.jpg

img127.jpg

img129.jpg

CopyofCopyofimg086-1.jpg

img126.jpg

Copyofimg054.jpg

CopyofCopyofimg043.jpg

CopyofCopyofCopyofimg081-1.jpg

Copy3ofimg042-1.jpg

a.jpg

Copyofimg079-1.jpg

Copyofimg081.jpg

And milestones

Copyofimg131.jpg

CopyofCopyofimg039-1.jpg

img045-1.jpg

img106.jpg
[/IMG]

OK, I have finally got round to adding my two cents worth.

Peter Hudson - this guy is my absolute Hawk Hero. For someone who looked and acted as soft as butter and could only kick a flat punt, he was simply amazing. His skills were really only two-fold:

a. He knew where to be to get the ball. He knew when to sit at the back of the pack, when to lead and when to take a speccy. Great hands and anticipation.

b. He could kick a flat, wobbly punt straighter than anyone else on the planet.

In 33 words you have just about summed up one of the man's greatest strengths - he was a thinker.
Add to this Alf Brown's comments "that he is the fastest and most agile big man he has seen" and Leigh Mathews' "he could do the brilliant things as well as the best,but he did the average things so much better than anyone else"

There has not been any player since that he can be compared to.

He was completely different to Lockett,Dunstall and Gary Ablett Snr.I will not even mention Lloyd.Oh I did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Stories

The following mentions the incident with Barry Cable in the state game in WA.
img078.jpg

img079.jpg

img121.jpg

In 33 words you have just about summed up one of the man's greatest strengths - he was a thinker.
Add to this Alf Brown's comments "that he is the fastest and most agile big man he has seen" and Leigh Mathews' "he could do the brilliant things as well as the best,but he did the average things so much better than anyone else"

There has not been any player since that he can be compared to.

He was completely different to Lockett,Dunstall and Gary Ablett Snr.I will not even mention Lloyd.Oh I did.

I was unfortunate enough to wander into Hawthorn v Melbourne at Glenferrie in round 1 of '72 halfway through the second quarter, just in time to watch him twist his knee and effectively destroy the best part of his career - he had 8 at that point and would have easily kicked the 9th before half time.

Fortunately i saw the majority of his comeback '77 season where he slotted 110 goals. He would easily have been the greatest all time goalkicker if not for that injury in '72.

In the first practice match of '77 at Princes park there he was, a rather portly figure lining up at full forward - looking anything but a footballer. The ball was bombed into the goal square where a huddle of backmen were contesting for the punch, he sat at the back and just leant on the fullback, the ball floated over his head and he just stuck out a porky looking leg and hoofed it through - totally premeditated. He was a master of knowing exactly where the ball would drop, probably his greatest attribute, and he would regularly embarass the defenders by leading them under the ball then doubling back to take what looked like an easy chest mark.

I was there too, Mr Curly. No doubt in a pram or wrapped in a blanket or something.

It must have been the greatest contrast in football emotions and fortunes that you could ever see in one day. Well, that's how my dad and grandmother described it.

One minute, Huddo's on track to eclipse the most goals in a game record, the next he's lying in a crumpled heap.

Then you have the contrast between the feeling that you're watching someone who will surely end up as the greatest forward ever, with the feeling he's been cut down in his prime. Or, at least the uncertainty.

Then factor in we've come off a flag and the years ahead look very, very rosy. Then it didn't.

It had to be an extraordinary game.

Anyone else at Huddo's comeback game when he alighted from a helicopter?

Good to hear your comments Mr Curly.

I was going to reply in depth to what you have written and I will do so tomorrow.

In the meantime,

It must have been awful that your first game to see Hawthorn was against Melbourne in 1971.

I always thought that I was the jinx.My family was down from Brisbane and I took my Father and three younger brothers to see the unfurling of the flag.

We witnessed the tragedy at close hand.

Detail tomorrow.

Good to hear your comments Mr Curly.

I was going to reply in depth to what you have written and I will do so tomorrow.

In the meantime,

It must have been awful that your first game to see Hawthorn was against Melbourne in 1971.

I always thought that I was the jinx.My family was down from Brisbane and I took my Father and three younger brothers to see the unfurling of the flag.

We witnessed the tragedy at close hand.

Detail tomorrow.

Round 1 '72 sure was a tragic time to start following the Hawks. I can recall waiting about near the turnstiles for a schoolmate to turn up, he never did arrive, and finally shuffling alone (and very late) through the turnstiles into a sea of Kennedy-esque grey coats, and a deafening noise. For such a small ground it was incredible how the noise would reverberate around that stadium, it sounded like an absolute cacophony of screaming fans, which was probably pretty good for us as our membership numbers then were pretty pitiful. I think around 30k was a full house!

I learnt a few new and fascinating words that afternoon, and also became quite adept at bladder control - as the queue for the mens seemed to snake halfway around the ground.

It was a pretty scary introduction to football for a kid, and probably a similar atmosphere to an afternoon watching the christians being thrown to the lions. Perhaps 'the christians [FONT=&quot]©' [/FONT]could be a good name for GC17??? would make the local derby memorable.

Ian Bremner was a very underrated Half Back Flanker.

Only Knights and Hudson were better aerialists.It could almost be guaranteed that Bremner would take a screamer once per game.

He was an excellent kick and one of the real hard men. He went on to play in the 1976 premiership.

He was injured in round 15 and missed 7 matches.Before his injury,I had him as equal fifth on my best player list.

Although not overly quick,he would earn a place in todays team and would have been under serious consideration for a place in the Team of the Century.

Best of all,we recruited him from Collingwood for practically nothing.Even back then the duds could not identify talent.

That may be Dustin Fletcher's father behind Bremner.

img120-1.jpg

Norm Bussell,what can one say.

He was the REAL tough man of that premiership side.Team mates grew extra inches in his presence.

He was fairly big and was recruited from Wangaratta (Rovers? help me out here AH),I think, with the intention of being a ruck man.He found his niche on a Half Back Flank,and added a vital ingredient to that extremely tough and unforgiving defence.

He was not quick and not skilled,he was however, a long kick.

He had one mighty talent and that was to instill fear, and I mean fear,into opposition players.

Because of Knights' injury,Norm played on Breen (St Kilda's most dangerous forward) in the Granny.Breen had never ran so fast as he did that day. Marvelous what fear can do.

Norm would be a dinosaur in todays game.

A little anecdote.

During the off season, Hawthorn used to have movie nights in the main stand featuring highlights of previous games and players.It was from watching those movies that I first appreciated just how rough and tough those 1961 players were.Mcpherson and Peck were frightening.

My favourite , however featured the Storeman as I called Norm.

In a game against Richmond,Sheedy was apparently throwing his little weight around (small man's complex?) punching Hawthorn players from behind and other acts of false courage.The movie shows the storeman chasing Sheedy around the field and eventually catching him.

Norm tackled him to the ground and put a headlock on Sheeds (who by the way really was a great and very courageous player).Norm looked around to see if any umpire was watching him.All clear,so in goes three rights to the head,he looks around again,still all clear and in goes another three rights,this time to the face.He did this on one more occasion and by then Mr Sheedy had lost all interest in the game,actually he lost all interest in life.

If game, ask Sheeds how he got his nose spread over his face.

This movie clip would be at the Hawthorn Museum,Next time you go there ask Peter Haby if he can show it.

img122-1.jpg

Great stuff Lord M....
Your article on Norman (the Storeman) Bussell and Ian Bremner brought back great memories of these guys.:thumbsu:

I am sure LM we were in the same room watching the replays during off season (I was the guy wearing the Hawthorn Jumper):)

Agree the Essendon player directly behind IB is Fletcher's old man

I can't split Kel and Langers as the best fullback I have seen and not only at Hawthorn.

Kel was the complete package.He knew when to mark and when to punch(the ball),was a long accurate kick and a very strong overhead mark.The coolest of any defender under pressure and, like Chris Mew,he just seemed able to pluck the ball out of the air.

Team of the century selection,played in three premierships and 300 games

He played at a time of other great fullbacks in David Dench of North and Geoff Southby of Carlton,who I rate the third best fullback I have seen(yes above the master of the judo trip aka Silvagni).

I believe that Kel played many games under duress with a testical injury that he may have received from that Geelong/Melbourne born again fool,Wacko Jacko.

This is what may have later led to the mayhem of that infamous game where a Geelong copper placed a charge on Leigh Mathews.Come on Leigh, it's time to tell the truth of what happened that day.

I rated him as our second best player in the grand final.

Like all of the backs of the 71 team,he was a very tough hard man

Would be one of the first picked in todays team

img133.jpg

Well said again Lord Mud. I rank Dench, Southby and Moore all well above Silvagni. I also put John Scarlett with them as he did manage to have some semblance of conrtrol over Huddo. Probably fear, I'd guess as he was an old fashioned thug.

Interesting point made regarding Matthews/Bruns. I have no doubt that Lethal could have easily explained himself but has left matters 'on the field' instead. Jacko was out of control that day and I believe the Geelong coach was ultimately responsible for the ensuing debacle. This could be a thread of it's own!

I trained with Norm Bussell's son and he knew no fear on the field too. Just a hard nut worth his weight in gold in country footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back