How’s Brad Scott’s “Over-Arching Legacy” going?

Remove this Banner Ad

there’s a small factor of GWS who completely gutted the talent pool in or around those years. Im not suggesting Brad and co werent at fault.. I believe their last few years, also the board have a lot of bearing on what happened. The pure fact is, the siphoning of talent by GC and GWS did not help teams with later picks what so ever

A contributing factor no doubt but the 2012-2015 drafting was horrid

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He worked his arse off for 10 years. Show some ******* respect.

LOL

He and Cam Joyce did more damage to North, than what the AFL did to the Blues for Salary Cap cheating and the Bombers for Drugs scandal.

Their names should be burned from the NMFC History books.

If they were still at the club.......JMac and Pittard and Marley would still be stinking it up week after week, on long term contracts.

And we would be more of a laughing stock in the AFL, than what we are now !

Show some respect....PLeeeeeeease !!!

LOL

He and Cam Joyce did more damage to North, than what the AFL did to the Blues for Salary Cap cheating and the Bombers for Drugs scandal.

Their names should be burned from the NMFC History books.

If they were still at the club.......JMac and Pittard and Marley would still be stinking it up week after week, on long term contracts.

And we would be more of a laughing stock in the AFL, than what we are now !

Show some respect....PLeeeeeeease !!!

That’s a complete load of s**t.

We should have sacked him in 2013 when it was clear our list and his coaching in combination where not up to it.

We should have accepted offers for Wells, Goldy, Tarrant, Wood and Swallow then and there.

Rhys Shaw was a mastermind compared to Brad, we’ve had more development wins out of Rhys’s 18 months than in Brad’s decade.

Last edited:
We should have sacked him in 2013 when it was clear our list and his coaching in combination where not up to it.

We should have accepted offers for Wells, Goldy, Tarrant, Wood and Swallow then and there.

Rhys Shaw was a mastermind compared to Brad, we’ve had more development wins out Rhys’s 18 months than is Brads decade.

I didn’t think anyone could top Johnny99’s post for stupidity but I think you’ve done it.

Rhys Shaw was a mastermind compared to Brad, we’ve had more development wins out Rhys’s 18 months than is Brads decade.
We have won 1 of our last 23 games. It's not going well by any measure.

We're at where we're at because when we had an unexpectedly good 2018 we decided there was no need for a rebuild (nailed it in a single year apparently) and it was time to go back to topping up and pushing for finals. We should've been smart enough to realise that year was one out of the box and it would still be some time before we had a platform for success. Everyone at the club is culpable for that one - horrid call.

Brad told the board in 2019 that we needed to rebuild and we parted ways because they didn't agree. In retrospect he's been heavily proven right. It'd be interesting to see alternate realities where we stuck to rebuilding in 2018 & on, or where we agreed with Brad & started rebuilding in 2019. I don't think we'd be doing great in either reality but certainly better off than where we are (though probably not much if we have the same kind of injury list).

Overall I think he was a very good coach with some notable flaws, but good enough to be a premiership coach with the right list & some good luck. We never really had either.

We're at where we're at because when we had an unexpectedly good 2018 we decided there was no need for a rebuild (nailed it in a single year apparently) and it was time to go back to topping up and pushing for finals. We should've been smart enough to realise that year was one out of the box and it would still be some time before we had a platform for success. Everyone at the club is culpable for that one - horrid call.
I disagree with this. In 2018 we did well on the back of moving players (Ats and Jack forward, Maj back) as much as on other players coming good or being available (Jacobs and Anderson.) If Maj hadn't jumped off that bridge then 2019 would have been a very different year for the club and players. Our performance under Shaw showed we had the cattle to play finals. I dunno if we were good enough to win a flag in 2019 but we were no worse than the dogs in 2016 once we got going.

I disagree with this. In 2018 we did well on the back of moving players (Ats and Jack forward, Maj back) as much as on other players coming good or being available (Jacobs and Anderson.) If Maj hadn't jumped off that bridge then 2019 would have been a very different year for the club and players. Our performance under Shaw showed we had the cattle to play finals. I dunno if we were good enough to win a flag in 2019 but we were no worse than the dogs in 2016 once we got going.

Oh god Ferbs.

In your opinion what did Shaw actually contribute to the NMFC. What will Shaw be remembered for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn’t think anyone could top Johnny99’s post for stupidity but I think you’ve done it.
9 out of 10 posters on here continue to bag Brad but if we want to be fair we have only had 2 successful coaches in our history if like most posters only consider a flag makes you successful. I think people should cast their minds back to see how others have gone in the past and what state they have left the club in. I know the club has been left in far far worse positions in the past by more than a few coaches whos records are no were near as good as Brads. What is the average win loss for all AFL coaches with 10 year service i wonder i am sure some one will jump on and tell me. I also dont think his Finals record is not to bad at all if you take out no ultimate success and like i said earlier he is not alone there.

In your opinion what did Shaw actually contribute to the NMFC. What will Shaw be remembered for.

Interesting question...

Ben McKay & Jy Simpkin both grew under his tutelage and we will be reaping the benefits for a decade.

He also had the balls to break up the boys club which was ground zero in the rebuild. His ability to identify the weaklinks and expose them for all to see beyond any doubt is precisely why I’m most grateful. Also some great wins: Pies, GWS away, Saints w 17 fit players - He was a good coach until COVID hit.

This is an alternate reality Ferbs. It’s just not in any way case or form, close to the truth.

In fact,I say s**t half as crazy as this and the mean men on the interwebz call me names.

Interesting question...

Ben McKay & Jy Simpkin both grew under his tutelage and we will be reaping the benefits for a decade.

He also had the balls to break up the boys club which was ground zero in the rebuild. His ability to identify the weaklinks and expose them for all to see beyond any doubt is precisely why I’m most grateful. Also some great wins: Pies, GWS away, Saints w 17 fit players - He was a good coach until COVID hit.

This is an alternate reality Ferbs. It’s just not in any way case or form, close to the truth.

In fact,I say sh*t half as crazy as this and the mean men on the interwebz call me names.
So what changed when COVID hit.

Interesting question...

In fact,I say sh*t half as crazy as this and the mean men on the interwebz call me names.
What weak links are you reffering to.

So what changed when COVID hit.

Cunners got injured

What weak links are you reffering to.

MacMillan et al Ziebell as a mid, Wood, Daw, Brown not being strong enough in the contest for $900k KPP.

Stronger focus on speed, reintroduction of a tagger (Hayden). Played Cunners forward and he won us a game.

Honestly, I reckon he was coaching well and had the playing group right up to the very moment Cunners did himself a mischief.

Last edited:
So what is his legacy?
He’s our very own “fiddy” percent. When I went to school that’s a ‘D’
His legacy should be a players golf day trophy..

he was the coach to close to a decade, and started when we were at rock bottom.. we’ve got new facilities, no debt, we’re a much better club for his service, I’d buy the guy a beer if I saw him out, I’ll leave it at that..

So you are saying we are a 1 man team.

In combination with entering the hub, we went from competitive to non competitive overnight. None of which was Rhyce’s fault.

From the moment he took over until the hub, we were horrible in one game (Geelong) - outside of that game - he was a decent coach and I felt we were harder to play against him than Brad with much less talent overall.

just my 2c

Obviously it would need to be an alternative reality, but before Dec 2018 it was a reasonable expectation. We would have made finals that year (2018) if Jack had kicked straight in two separate games.

We delisted, traded or retired 10 or 11 players at the end of 2018 as well. There were some poor decisions among those we brought in. We'd have been better off keeping Alex Morgan and not getting Tyson for example.

His legacy should be a players golf day trophy..

he was the coach to close to a decade, and started when we were at rock bottom.. we’ve got new facilities, no debt, we’re a much better club for his service, I’d buy the guy a beer if I saw him out, I’ll leave it at that..

I have no issue with those that think he did a solid job and he certainly had some great points. He'd get Caro blushing, the sexual tension was off the scale when those two were together. And make no mistake that was Brad taking one for the team. He was good for footy, just not as a coach.

He was about brand protection and that sucked for us, Noble isn't about that is he.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back