How Lance Franklin joined the Sydney Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

I didnt see it.

I reckon being such a massive signing and the s**t storm and screeching from the vic based AFL media afterwards, it deserved its own thread.

not far wrong

I have never really followed a code where the signing of a marquee player by a top club was met by such disdain from those who run the code.

It would be like FIFA getting really angry at another club fo daring to sign Messi because the directors on the FIFA board wanted him to go to a club or investment set up by said board members in what is a massive conflict of interest..oh s**t the AFL is basically FIFA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The interesting part will be how he is remembered, which club he identifies with

Ive always felt even though Plugger played way less for us after footy he seems more aligned to Sydney

If Buddy retired today he would live in Sydney yeah, but he has premiership reunions at hawthorn

The interesting part will be how he is remembered, which club he identifies with

Ive always felt even though Plugger played way less for us after footy he seems more aligned to Sydney

If Buddy retired today he would live in Sydney yeah, but he has premiership reunions at hawthorn

Same with Roosy.

I rekon kids play a massive role in which club players like plugger end up being the most loyal too. Pluggers girls have now grown up and are bona fide swans supporters.

Who would Roos hold close to his heart, the lions, the swans or the demons? Though he didn't do much with the demons his boys seem to have picked them up as their club, considering they are forever associated with the 2005 flag for merely being up on the podium, you think Roosy would now hold a special place with the demons.

If Buddies kid in the future is a swans fan, so will the bud IMHO.

Same with Roosy.

I rekon kids play a massive role in which club players like plugger end up being the most loyal too. Pluggers girls have now grown up and are bona fide swans supporters.

Who would Roos hold close to his heart, the lions, the swans or the demons? Though he didn't do much with the demons his boys seem to have picked them up as their club, considering they are forever associated with the 2005 flag for merely being up on the podium, you think Roosy would now hold a special place with the demons.

If Buddies kid in the future is a swans fan, so will the bud IMHO.
In Roosy's autobiography he talks very fondly of his time at Fitzroy. The culture & playing group he obviously had a very strong & lasting attachment to. I think he grew up supporting Fitzroy didn't he?

However the majority of his success & "footy life" has been with the Swans though. There's no denying that I don't think. And just on his experience, & depth & breadth of involvement, I'd like to hope he would identify as a Swans fan now.

In any event, he is clearly a "supporter" of ours and keeps an eye on us more-so than the other clubs IMO.

I have never really followed a code where the signing of a marquee player by a top club was met by such disdain from those who run the code.

It would be like FIFA getting really angry at another club fo daring to sign Messi because the directors on the FIFA board wanted him to go to a club or investment set up by said board members in what is a massive conflict of interest..oh s**t the AFL is basically FIFA.

The AFL manipulates the competition as it sees fit, either for TV rights or Melbourne influencers (cough Eddie). Brave Dogs, Tiger Army, Black and White Army (OK that one didn't work out for them). Melbourne were supposed to win big this year and/or Essendon, but there's only so much even the AFL can do. The thought of Sydney-Hawks-Sydney-Hawks-Sydney from 2012-2016 was too much. When we snared Buddy that merely shifted the dynamic between the two clubs they didn't want dominating again and again. No other club gained. They had hoped one of those years would be the year GWS got a gong with Buddy.

Hawthorn deal was a bit shite for the best player in the comp.
That kinda explains why they've been able to pretty much recruit anyone they want.

It does make me wonder whether the cap situation there is suspicious.....

It does make me wonder whether the cap situation there is suspicious.....

Its the worst kept secret but almost all melbourne based high-end players have 3rd party deals to keep them at the club and to exploit the cap.

Its the worst kept secret but almost all melbourne based high-end players have 3rd party deals to keep them at the club and to exploit the cap.
That's particularly true for players approaching retirement. A household name at Hawks retired in Melbourne is on a gold carpet compared to what say, JPK would get were he to retire back in his home town.

The long term effect for us was a ban that left a huge hole in our age profile that has had to be filled with kids rather than mature players at their peak. Even drafting those kids has been difficult without going through the process of tanking. Sustained success is not only attractive to (most) of our fan base but the winning culture helps us to hold out against the massive hometown pull of the Melbourne clubs, particularly where players who have Victorian partners who would prefer to be near their family.

We really should ensure there are a lot more Sydney girls marrying Swans. Come on Swanettes, do your bit for the team.

We really should ensure there are a lot more Sydney girls marrying Swans. Come on Swanettes, do your bit for the team.
This might be wrong but it feels like we have the highest proportion of females attending our games in the AFL. Plenty of chicks would love to get some of that Swan :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back