How scared are you of St Kilda this year?

How scared are you of St Kilda this year?

• A bit scared

Votes: 23 11.5%
  • Quite scared

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Very scared

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • A bit of wee came out

Votes: 77 38.5%
  • Hold me

Votes: 86 43.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

SOS repeating the same mistake did at Carlton (picking up discards from his former club IE Dow, Stocker and thinking he can ignore the draft with elite midfield talent)

It's like they are doing the complete opposite to North Melbourne and their midfield obsessed top heavy drafting in the last 3 or 4 years..

Both approaches are clearly wrong. You need to have a mixed balance if you are rebuilding..
Thought you were perma-banned

SOS repeating the same mistake did at Carlton (picking up discards from his former club IE Dow, Stocker and thinking he can ignore the draft with elite midfield talent)

It's like they are doing the complete opposite to North Melbourne and their midfield obsessed top heavy drafting in the last 3 or 4 years..

Both approaches are clearly wrong. You need to have a mixed balance if you are rebuilding..

He recruited your spine, he deserves a bit more respect.

Funny how when he was with us he was a spud recruiter and only recruited GWS rejects. No all of a sudden he leaves and deserves respect?

Gee i love this forum! 🤦‍♀️🤣

That's true and I will always be grateful to him for that.

I don't think Stocker is going to make it as an quality AFL footballer though, and it seems like he recruited him (albeit as a free hit) to The Saints to try justify his high selection at Carlton.

He is a club legend and immortal as a player, but for St Kilda's sake, he needs to try start recruiting more quality midfielders via the National Draft.

With Ross the Boss having another preseason with the lads. Lenny, Harvey and Enright continuing to impart their wisdom.

Our drafting in recent years has been excellent. The likes of Owens, Wangeneen-Milera, Windhager, Phillipou etc coming on.

A fit Max King.

Sinclair in ripping form and from all reports Jack Steele looking fit and firing.

Surely we can all agree it's a new era for the Saints.
It seems like every other Saints era tbh.

This thread was never going to end well.

I think I posted earlier in this thread something along the lines that the Saints should fear themselves.

Think we have seen the Lyon spike last year & normal programming has resumed.

Sad Vince Mcmahon GIF by Justin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s gone past Ross Lyon.
There may be some truth to this. As a Melbourne supporter what do you think about viewing StKilda's situation as equivalent to when Roos was brought in to straighten up your club? Piss-takes aside, Saints supporters are fairly aware of how bad standards have been for the last decade and the correction of that seems to be why most are supportive of Lyon's 2nd tenure.
In the Roos years you finished 17th, 13th and 11th, then 17th again in 2019 and it's undeniable those years and some good drafting set up your premiership, but it took 8 years from when Roos arrived until the pay-off.

There may be some truth to this. As a Melbourne supporter what do you think about viewing StKilda's situation as equivalent to when Roos was brought in to straighten up your club? Piss-takes aside, Saints supporters are fairly aware of how bad standards have been for the last decade and the correction of that seems to be why most are supportive of Lyon's 2nd tenure.
In the Roos years you finished 17th, 13th and 11th, then 17th again in 2019 and it's undeniable those years and some good drafting set up your premiership, but it took 8 years from when Roos arrived until the pay-off.
Good post. And also great to acknowledge that Roos was excellent for Melbourne. Yes, I view him as incredibly successful. Basically we had no defensive mindset nor structure. The initial years were to develop that and reduce the blowouts. It was incredibly easy to score against us and Roos brought a very defensive mindset to us and then began developing a midfield with a harder edge, so much so that we became one eyed on inside midfielders.

Goodwin took over in 2017 and we just missed the 8. 2018 we won a few finals then bombed for two before 2021. Drafting was massive. It takes a while to build a list that is going to get near it. Oliver & Petracca are A grade and have been for some time. Petracca probably getting to that no.1 mid role, Thursday night was pretty phenomenal.

Getting May & Lever were the keys though.

I think with Lyon he will either be the man or you’ll sack him if you don’t play finals in 2025. I think you’ve got talent. A lot. Not knowing all the details, but I look at defence first. What are you back men like? Obviously midfield is huge and you probably need a really sharp outside midfielder or a gun that’s going to be your star per se. Windhager is really good, isn’t he?

I can’t see a premiership coming under Lyon, and I don’t think Clarkson will get much cut through with North either. I feel the game has probably progressed a bit too much. I do think he can probably add some value in getting your list ready.

Good post. And also great to acknowledge that Roos was excellent for Melbourne. Yes, I view him as incredibly successful. Basically we had no defensive mindset nor structure. The initial years were to develop that and reduce the blowouts. It was incredibly easy to score against us and Roos brought a very defensive mindset to us and then began developing a midfield with a harder edge, so much so that we became one eyed on inside midfielders.

Goodwin took over in 2017 and we just missed the 8. 2018 we won a few finals then bombed for two before 2021. Drafting was massive. It takes a while to build a list that is going to get near it. Oliver & Petracca are A grade and have been for some time. Petracca probably getting to that no.1 mid role, Thursday night was pretty phenomenal.

Getting May & Lever were the keys though.

I think with Lyon he will either be the man or you’ll sack him if you don’t play finals in 2025. I think you’ve got talent. A lot. Not knowing all the details, but I look at defence first. What are you back men like? Obviously midfield is huge and you probably need a really sharp outside midfielder or a gun that’s going to be your star per se. Windhager is really good, isn’t he?

I can’t see a premiership coming under Lyon, and I don’t think Clarkson will get much cut through with North either. I feel the game has probably progressed a bit too much. I do think he can probably add some value in getting your list ready.
I feel sure Lyon will see out his 4 years but is far from a certainty after that. It seems like Enright is being groomed but thats too far off to worry about.
Despite the poor W/L so far, he's instilling a never say die culture which has been missing since he left.
It's hard to pick apart exactly why things are failing at the moment and why our forward line remains so dysfunctional, but until we can start to win clearances it's all pretty moot IMHO.
List wise we have some good talent, but not enough and still too young.
I thought we overachieved last year TBH, and although it was a nice sugar hit for supporters l don't think they bought into it internally.
The RTB game style isn't like 15 years ago but it's still ulgy and not enjoyable. Though if it creates a competitive team over time then I'll cop it sweet.
Outsiders don't realise how bloody awful the last decade has been for Saints supporters, but you might recall something similar before Roos tipped in.

Back