Autopsy I swear there was a patch of footy where we hit like 8 short kicks in a row in the third quarter - Autopsy vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at Blunny today.
Magic place to watch footy.
Sat behind the player dugouts.
Our guys were cooked every interchange.
You could see their commitment and intensity.
We were undermanned and out gunned today but I'm proud of all the boys.
Yes we lack class but we are having a dip.
The vitriol at our players is unfathomable.
Love the Roos.
Get yourself down there to Blunny, the serenity of the location puts things in perspective.

With our outs that's as weak a North team as has graced a field in 50 years probably.
Just wish a few players would take the chance they are being given.
Yeah, that's how I saw it too.

Effort was there, the polish wasn't. Disappointing that it blew out so much but we were in the game for longer than we've been since after the Swans game.

Hard to be competitive when your best senior players are in the stands, and your also rans are all we have on the park.

I suspect Larkey did something to the umps, they really seem to hate him.

I’m going to be an extreme outlier but I thought we were pretty good for large segments of this game and save for some decisions going against us in the first Qtr and some awful goal kicking in the 2nd I felt we were right in it.

Last Qtr was horrific but I get it. Also, Young was far from our worst. I also though Jed was good and gave us some bite around the ball.

Poor old J Walker is cashing in, probably doesn’t get a game at many other clubs in many other eras.

The size difference of us vs Port really stuck out.

Was a worry when Hayden was our 2nd tall defender when either Corr or Walker had a spell…

I was at Blunny today.
Magic place to watch footy.
Sat behind the player dugouts.
Our guys were cooked every interchange.
You could see their commitment and intensity.
We were undermanned and out gunned today but I'm proud of all the boys.
Yes we lack class but we are having a dip.
The vitriol at our players is unfathomable.
Love the Roos.
Get yourself down there to Blunny, the serenity of the location puts things in perspective.
I'd noticed this at the games I've been to as well.

Being brutally honest, if I'm putting this effort in as a player and getting hounded by commentators, analysts, the public for lack of effort, I'm probably calling my manager and asking him if he can get me outta here before my career flushes down the toilet.

Another bad loss however I wasn’t as disappointed as the other games but we do have problems.
We are in a significant rebuild through decisions made over the last few years, so there is no quick fix.
Overall, we need to adjust our game plan to allow our players minimise the blow outs and upfront I acknowledge I’m not fully across this component of modern football.
  • Flexible game plan. Why didn’t we adjust to Port’s consistent play on i.e., if a player runs past to take the handball, where is his opponent?
  • Goldy played well but many of his hit outs went to Port players.
  • Why can’t we shut down the play when they get a run on?
Players Out
Bonar. Will he make a difference?
Comben. Will be useful as a 2nd tall forward if he can get over his injuries.
Cunnington. Will make a difference but may require to have the season off.
Hall. 1-2 weeks, will make a difference.
McKay. 1-2 weeks, will make a difference.
Polac. ??????????
Xerri. Do we give more games to CCJ?
So only two to come back who could add to the team.

PLAYERS?????
Ziebell. Been a great player for us, but would he be selected if not the Captain. Admittedly a very hard decision.
Mahoney. A good back up player, who should play out 2022 in the VFL.
Jayden Stevenson. May be OK in a better team, but hasn’t earned his spot this year.
Powell being managed???
Hayden showed enough to retain his spot.
Young went OK but when he makes a mistake, it really STANDS OUT.
McDonald and Scott are suffering due to our opponents attacking without being under pressure

The return of Hall and McKay should enable our backline improve however, this needs to be supported by more defensive pressure from the mid and forwards. We also have a number of new players who are still in a steep learning curve.

That non-paid mark to Larkey in the first is up there with one of the worst decisions of the year.

Ditto the Jed tackle. Too rough for footy now.

Don't forget the non HTB against Amon - in a year where players are being pinged after shrugging a tackle and then legally disposing of it after being tackled again or after being tackled 0.1 seconds after they've got possession, how they didn't pay that is astounding

In general the effort today was better (wasn't exactly a high bar to clear, but small progress is progress nonetheless)

There is a myriad of issues but a glaring one for me is how we come out to start games. In theory, it would be when you are at your fittest but also most mentally up for it and yet in the last month or so, we've consistently started incredibly flat and the game's effectively been killed off at quarter time.

I know the scoreboard isn't necessarily everything but for the year, our average 1/4 time score is 12.88 (lets call it 13) - 29.88 (lets call it 30) - effectively three goals down on average
However, since the Sydney game, which seems like a) such a outlier and b) eons ago, that's gone to to 8 - 34.8. We have faced some tougher sides in recent weeks sure, but the lack of effort out the blocks has still been alarming and today was no different.

I, perhaps foolishly, thought with all the noise this week surrounding us that perhaps this would finally be the week we'd snap out of our first quarter malaise but it just didn't happen and with Melbourne next week, am not expecting anything to change on that front

On a more positive note, CCJ's got a skill set to persist with and Powell was generally good when he got it and thought he played with intent.

Our most competitive outing since Sydney.

Confidence and skills are still shot, but we matched Port for extended periods of the match and thought we actually transitioned the footy well on a couple of occasions.

Over committing at the contest, which is a symptom of both individuals trying too hard and a lack of on field accountability/communication.

I thought the coaching staff matched us up with Port as well as we could have expected, considering our outs.

Time For Noble to move on . I hope they’ve been talking to Clarkson . This is beyond a joke now ..
May as well remove that from your thoughts right now. Media well and truly towing the company line and running with clarko to GWSAFLFC or GCAFLFC…

say it again and again, if these types were at other clubs (especially Essendon) we'd be howling how bad they are. Like Jake Kelly is ******* atrocious. And yet we still have half a dozen minimum worse than him every week. And for some reason people see players with no hope, no future, no discernible talent and think "he'll make a player".

Mahony is young but he's still well into his 3rd season. Atu less exposure but still 4th season and still shows no elite traits, his most memorable moment this year being his * up late v Sydney.

I get guys like Walker. Even Corr. Yep they're rubbish but you have to play them. Even Hayden today was a necessity, he's not a long term player but I can see the point and he battled out of his weight division today. And someone like Turner may be God awful offensively but he's a decent defender so there's positives. And there's bigger priorities than the guys that do 1 job well.

Atu, Mahony offer nothing. There's nothing they've done to earn their spots either. So I don't buy that the VFL guys haven't done enough. Trial something different ffs. Can't keep putting up with these 0 offer guys.

Ziebell and Goldstein are just holding out to retire /trade but that's fine too.

And Thomas should either be sat until he's healthy or if he is healthy then he needs to be dropped. Useless. Does he even care?

Mahony is a fraud, last year I was impressed with his gut running giving us options and attempts to put pressure on. What a joke, just another liability who doesn’t have a position to play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually you can see some semblance of a viable game plan. It's not the worst footy we've played this year to be honest and if we had kicked straighter in the second, and some of the dubious umpire decisions hadn't going against us in the second quarter, we would've had pretty decent scoreboard pressure for it to be a much more interesting game. Also considering we played against a team who is bouncing back into form, I think there was something there to give me a bit of hope.

I see green shoots and without jhf, simpkin, mckay and Hall, the result wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would've been. Give Noble a chance I say, I truly believe it will start to turn soon. Games will become competive for longer and we may pinch one or two.

And right on cue, the knee jerk reactions calling for everyone from the coach to the canteen ladies to be sacked. Did people seriously see no positive signs in this game? In a game without our best rebounder, three of our best midfielders, and our best key defender? Some of you need to look up the definition of rebuild. And maybe tack on a 'hardcore' at the front of the search bar for good measure
Zoomba if you heard probably the best coach in recent times Clarko on AFL 360 this week he explained it quite well “ the definition of a rebuild” he went on to explain on how important it is to have those 6-8 more experienced senior players hanging on and showing the way to younger guys . Almost passing the Batton. He mentioned in 2005 player like Crawford & his older crew being critical in their rebuild .
Problem for us is that our experienced players are or plying like spuds . Corr , Walker , Sugar , Jack Z , Lmac ….
And we have a coach unable to improve this .
In fact our young kids are having more of a dip then those mentioned.

Another bad loss however I wasn’t as disappointed as the other games but we do have problems.
We are in a significant rebuild through decisions made over the last few years, so there is no quick fix.
Overall, we need to adjust our game plan to allow our players minimise the blow outs and upfront I acknowledge I’m not fully across this component of modern football.
  • Flexible game plan. Why didn’t we adjust to Port’s consistent play on i.e., if a player runs past to take the handball, where is his opponent?
  • Goldy played well but many of his hit outs went to Port players.
  • Why can’t we shut down the play when they get a run on?
Players Out
Bonar. Will he make a difference?
Comben. Will be useful as a 2nd tall forward if he can get over his injuries.
Cunnington. Will make a difference but may require to have the season off.
Hall. 1-2 weeks, will make a difference.
McKay. 1-2 weeks, will make a difference.
Polac. ??????????
Xerri. Do we give more games to CCJ?
So only two to come back who could add to the team.

PLAYERS?????
Ziebell. Been a great player for us, but would he be selected if not the Captain. Admittedly a very hard decision.
Mahoney. A good back up player, who should play out 2022 in the VFL.
Jayden Stevenson. May be OK in a better team, but hasn’t earned his spot this year.
Powell being managed???
Hayden showed enough to retain his spot.
Young went OK but when he makes a mistake, it really STANDS OUT.
McDonald and Scott are suffering due to our opponents attacking without being under pressure

The return of Hall and McKay should enable our backline improve however, this needs to be supported by more defensive pressure from the mid and forwards. We also have a number of new players who are still in a steep learning curve.
pretty nice summary,

I actually reckon Young has turned the corner and is showing a bit of leadership in defense, sure he makes the odd boo boo but its hardly like he is robertson crusoe. puts in pretty well and becoming a bit more solid player, definitely tracking in the right direction.

Polec don't need the question marks, he is done and just seeing out the contracted period.

I'd noticed this at the games I've been to as well.

Being brutally honest, if I'm putting this effort in as a player and getting hounded by commentators, analysts, the public for lack of effort, I'm probably calling my manager and asking him if he can get me outta here before my career flushes down the toilet.
If today's Tracker is accurate, and there's no reason why it wouldn't be, we significantly outworked Port today. Port basically took a sickie and still belted us by 70. It reveals how broken the system is - whatever it is - and how poorly drilled we are.

Let's start with our 200+ game, 5+ years club captain. I love the man for his passion and endeavour....

...but when he missed targets by 10m what kind of standard is that
JZ looked as Slow as a wet weak too.
3-4 meters behind each contest .
I was actually expecting a response/ show the absolute farking way type game of him today .
We got the absolute opposite out of him …
He’s just not up to playing in defence, mid or forward now .
The game has gone passed him .
I actually feel sorry for him .
It’s cruel to be playing him .
He actually looks ridiculous out there .
He doesn’t deserve this .

There's a reason the game plan was questioned. When we bring it fast through the corridor, as per the game plan, Nobles' defensive press hamstrings our movement.

Port turn it over, we break fast through the corridor.

View attachment 1399873

Larkey has no one ahead of the footy. So he kicks to Ziebell on the wing (bottom of screen) who holds play up so Larkey can get down there. No time to hook lead so a fast break results in Ziebell bombing it to Larkey in the F50.

View attachment 1399875
The pics are a great illustration of what you mean. As I watched it live, I reckon JZ could maybe have put it out in front of Larkey for him to run on and mark. Iirc he was goal side of his opponent. As it was JZ didn't didn't make that pass.

That non-paid mark to Larkey in the first is up there with one of the worst decisions of the year.

Ditto the Jed tackle. Too rough for footy now.
Re “Too rough for footy now.”

That is why the dissent penalties were introduced.

The umpires/AFL are consciously changing the interpretation of the rules before our eyes - the dissent penalty is effectively a gag so there is no visible criticism from players and therefore less scrutiny and media attention.

Unlike the AFL to be sneaky rat campaigners.

He simply can’t get the side to be competitive in any way shape or form.

His game day tactics and overall plan is a hot bowl of vomit.

It does annoy me when i see other young sides playing with so much more poise than us.
(Hawks, Carlton, Freo, etc.)
We shouldn't be conceding 100pts+ every game.

That said I'm also not sure if a new coach would make things worse?
The Rhys Shaw appointment and list management has been a cluster*.

Makes it 5 in a row now which is the first time in our history?

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

I defer to your extensive medical knowledge. It’s a conspiracy against Powell, rather than a skinny injury-hit 2nd year player being managed.

If the coach is so s**t then how can the senior players be so bad?? Surely a new coach would see them play better?? Can’t have it both ways Dr, which is it??
The senior players are underperforming and continually doing so but they’re also being hamstrung by being a part of the worst structured side in AFL history.

Greenwood has been average most weeks - takes illness for him to go anywhere. Players need to be accountable for their spots, they’ll generally play better when they are. The fact that senior players underperforming regularly and never being dropped says alot. It’s always a young guy. Doesn’t matter how bad we are and how many beatings we cop.

I think the bigger issue was, why the * was Jamie Macmillan holding a white board and who let him do so?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back