Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Therein lies the point about definitive narratives

If the booing predates the collingwood incident - then that doesn’t fit the narrative that the entire booing is racist

Equally if the booing amplified - it doesn’t fit the narrative that the booing was for the man not the race

The reality is people will boo for a variety of reasons

They don’t like him (the origin)
The racial element (the amplification)
Because it’s good sport (the herd mentality)
And finally because they were told not too (don’t tell me what to do)
Reason like that isn’t going to sell many news papers and movie tickets.

What the hell do we have to do with it. We were like the 5th team in line to boo the guy. Atleast we had a actual reason in that he was having a go at the crowd. In fact the whole situation began because of this. The booing at our game didnt really exist in any real form until he did that. Then it got 10 x louder.

Goodes is the guy who pushes someone to the ground and then crys when you call him a ******* back ie. thats a mean thing to say. He has no concept of actions being as bad as words and I think the documentary will show that. He doesnt believe actions can be antagonistic. That only words and noise can be.

Its probably him having a misunderstanding of sporting culture more then anything. He is a guy who grew up around the AFL but was oblivious to it still. He didnt realise the way he acted was different from others, he didnt realise his actions were read in a particular light (arrogant showboat) because he never opened his eyes to realise that kicking a goal and rubbing it in everyones face was actually the act of a poor sport in this game.

People will um and ah about it etc but the final takeaway should be education is a two way street. Goodes is happy to teach others while he ignores them at the same time. Until he learns to listen, he wont be respected and will be booed wherever he goes.

Have to admit that the AFL public has come a long way since "black man pretended to throw pretend spear" incident with Goodes. I thought Sydney Stack joining with the indigenous dancers in the pre game line up last week was brilliant (watch below). Australia has its own version of NZ's Haka!

Embracing that and supporting the indigenous initiatives by clubs is helping educating, understanding and reducing racism, I believe.

The stories about how the diverse ways the jumper designs were developed at all the clubs are excellent and worth a read. Interesting that many clubs had their young indigenous players design jumpers and Quinton Narkle's Geelong design incorporates a tribute to club legend Graham 'Polly' Farmer (click on link).

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-21/your-clubs-indigenous-guernsey-vote-on-your-favourite

I'd've had no issue with the Goodes spear-chucking incident if it a close game. The fact they were 60+ up, from memory, made me think it was a poor look considering how he got stuck into the Carlton fans at the fence. Made me think he's an utter knob.

Havnng said that I don't know if anything preceded this incident during the game but if there was nothing, then to get that worked up after a goal in a smashing is knobbish showboating. I'd hate that from any player.

Gary Ablett receiving the exact same treatment. What is the cause of that?
Probably the fact that he escaped suspension a couple of times when he shouldn't have, whilst some are probably voicing their disapproval of his defence of Folau.

Goodes had the incident with the Collingwood fan, which prompted him to be far more vocal in regards to issues of race in this country. It was only after this moment that the booing intensified and became a campaign among fans. To say that the two events are not connected is to bury your head in the sand.

I'd've had no issue with the Goodes spear-chucking incident if it a close game. The fact they were 60+ up, from memory, made me think it was a poor look considering how he got stuck into the Carlton fans at the fence. Made me think he's an utter knob.

Havnng said that I don't know if anything preceded this incident during the game but if there was nothing, then to get that worked up after a goal in a smashing is knobbish showboating. I'd hate that from any player.
There were a few similar celebrations last round by Indigenous players, whether being up by 1 or 60 shouldn't make a difference.

The Goode's goal celebration had an element of Winmar's lifting his jumper and pointing to his skin for me. Saying I'm a proud Indigenous man and this is my culture in response to the crowd.

Therein lies the point about definitive narratives

If the booing predates the collingwood incident - then that doesn’t fit the narrative that the entire booing is racist

Equally if the booing amplified - it doesn’t fit the narrative that the booing was for the man not the race

The reality is people will boo for a variety of reasons

They don’t like him (the origin)
The racial element (the amplification)
Because it’s good sport (the herd mentality)
And finally because they were told not too (don’t tell me what to do)

Of course there were people booing for various reasons, and I completely understand that. You pay your money you can cheer or boo whatever you want within reason. But when Goodes stated he felt it was racist in nature after the Collingwood incident then only an idiot would continue booing. He was certainly booed before but it was like any other player and the whole pointing out a girl incident just gave ammunition to the racists.

There were a few similar celebrations last round by Indigenous players, whether being up by 1 or 60 shouldn't make a difference.

The Goode's goal celebration had an element of Winmar's lifting his jumper and pointing to him skin for me. Saying I'm a proud Indigenous man and this is my culture in response to the crowd.
Not really. Winmar played in an era where he was constantly abused by other players for the colour of his skin. Was a powrrful and iconic moment.

Goodes ran up to the fence, a la O'Laughlin, and got right in the Carlton supporters faces after kicking a goal in a smashing. That's just rubbing it in and poor form. I hate any player celebrating like a pork chop in a hiding. I'd say fair enough if he'd been copping constant abuse from that particular group of fans over the fence but there was never any mention of that. Just seemed totally uncalled for considering the state of that particular game. Personally I thought Jetta's was more relevant as he was sticking up for the booing Goodes was copping from our crowd.

FWIW I thought Goodes' pointing out the girl in the crowd was more akin to Winmar's and honestly I applaud him for that, especially the follow up he did.

Whilst I don't think the Goodes booing started out as racist, I certainly see it as enabling those with racist tendencies to feel empowered to abuse as it somewhat normalises their behaviour. You only have to look at the morons on twitter posting pictures of bananas and monkeys recently on indigenous players' highlights. Thankfully those same people are also moronic enough to post under their own names to publicly out themselves. After all, only an idiot would think it makes sense to be racist.

Of course there were people booing for various reasons, and I completely understand that. You pay your money you can cheer or boo whatever you want within reason. But when Goodes stated he felt it was racist in nature after the Collingwood incident then only an idiot would continue booing. He was certainly booed before but it was like any other player and the whole pointing out a girl incident just gave ammunition to the racists.
Yeah this was me. I booed Goodes plenty, as I do with other snipers, divers and general flogs, but once the booing was co-opted by racists sensing a free hit I thought it was probably time to remove myself from that group and stop booing.

You pay your money, you should be able to cheer and boo whoever you want (I've never understood the stigma around booing that so many on this site and in the media seem to have), but when the company you keep is beginning to get a little Grand Wizardy, it's probably time to reassess.

I'll still never understand how we became public enemy #1 re: Goodes. I know there was the Jetta celebration but, as was mentioned earlier, I feel we were like the fourth or fifth club to boo Goodes after it all kicked off, were we not? Somehow it got pinned on the Eagles crowd booing him into retirement.

I'll still never understand how we became public enemy #1 re: Goodes. I know there was the Jetta celebration, but as was mentioned earlier, I feel we were like the fourth or fifth club to boo Goodes after it all kicked off, were we not?

It was because of comments like from Chris Scott saying he wouldn't take his kids to games at Subiaco, our free kick differential being above the others, and our well known hostile home crowd. In the end I don't think Adam Goodes ever singled out West Coast specifically but it is sad to think we were part of the problem that caused him to retire prematurely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW Adam Goodes has always been and remains my answer to “if you could clone a player 22 times and start a team, who would you pick”.

Freak talent who could play key position at either end, play the ruck, midfield, agile enough to play small. Probably the most versatile star player I’ve ever seen.

I'll still never understand how we became public enemy #1 re: Goodes. I know there was the Jetta celebration but, as was mentioned earlier, I feel we were like the fourth or fifth club to boo Goodes after it all kicked off, were we not? Somehow it got pinned on the Eagles crowd booing him into retirement.

I think its because our crowd is much more vocal on everything, so it stood out more. In reality the percentage of our fans booing Goodes was probably no different to that of other teams, but when that percentage makes up 95% of the crowd it seems much louder. Anything our home crowd does is going to stand out because of the ratio and sheer volume.

FWIW Adam Goodes has always been and remains my answer to “if you could clone a player 22 times and start a team, who would you pick”.

Freak talent who could play key position at either end, play the ruck, midfield, agile enough to play small. Probably the most versatile star player I’ve ever seen.
He gets significantly underrated in terms of greatest ever players. He's easily top 10 in the AFL era

Not really. Winmar played in an era where he was constantly abused by other players for the colour of his skin. Was a powrrful and iconic moment.

Goodes ran up to the fence, a la O'Laughlin, and got right in the Carlton supporters faces after kicking a goal in a smashing. That's just rubbing it in and poor form. I hate any player celebrating like a pork chop in a hiding. I'd say fair enough if he'd been copping constant abuse from that particular group of fans over the fence but there was never any mention of that. Just seemed totally uncalled for considering the state of that particular game. Personally I thought Jetta's was more relevant as he was sticking up for the booing Goodes was copping from our crowd.

FWIW I thought Goodes' pointing out the girl in the crowd was more akin to Winmar's and honestly I applaud him for that, especially the follow up he did.

Whilst I don't think the Goodes booing started out as racist, I certainly see it as enabling those with racist tendencies to feel empowered to abuse as it somewhat normalises their behaviour. You only have to look at the morons on twitter posting pictures of bananas and monkeys recently on indigenous players' highlights. Thankfully those same people are also moronic enough to post under their own names to publicly out themselves. After all, only an idiot would think it makes sense to be racist.
Poor them! Those poor Carlton fans. He danced towards the fans but didn't get close and well within boundary of field, and lifted his arm but didn't even compete the throw of the pretend object.

Nothing is more terrifying than an Aboriginal player lobbing an invisible spear in the general direction of the crowd. What’s more, despite this imaginary projectile being, well, imaginary, it is clear that it is far more offensive to commentators than any of the racist jeers from the crowd that preceded it.

This happened two years after the racial taunts by the young girl and after being increasingly booed by crowds since then. Goodes was not booed more than normal before speaking out on racism, but this increased markedly after. Many that booed Adam Goodes without the intention of racially vilifying him were irrespective of their intentions, contributing to the racial vilification. Unlike HB35, most didn't realise or stop.

Winmar's stand contributed to the AFL on became the first major Australian sporting code to outlaw on field racial sledging in 1995 but there continued to be many shameful incidents of racial vilification by fans towards players. I thought Goodes dance celebration was him taking a stand at those two years of increased booing and racial taunts from the fans. For me, it wasn't rubbing a 60 point win in, but a GAGF you racial abusers this is me and my culture is important to me moment, like Winmars.

Look how close Sydney Slack got to his opposition and made the throwing motion in the pre game last week! Makes me wonder if we can now embrace and celebrate Aboriginal culture with the backing of AFL Australia wide.

Poor them! Those poor Carlton fans. He danced towards the fans but didn't get close and well within boundary of field, and lifted his arm but didn't even compete the throw of the pretend object.

Nothing is more terrifying than an Aboriginal player lobbing an invisible spear in the general direction of the crowd. What’s more, despite this imaginary projectile being, well, imaginary, it is clear that it is far more offensive to commentators than any of the racist jeers from the crowd that preceded it.

This happened two years after the racial taunts by the young girl and after being increasingly booed by crowds since then. Goodes was not booed more than normal before speaking out on racism, but this increased markedly after. Many that booed Adam Goodes without the intention of racially vilifying him were irrespective of their intentions, contributing to the racial vilification. Unlike HB35, most didn't realise or stop.

Winmar's stand contributed to the AFL on became the first major Australian sporting code to outlaw on field racial sledging in 1995 but there continued to be many shameful incidents of racial vilification by fans towards players. I thought Goodes dance celebration was him taking a stand at those two years of increased booing and racial taunts from the fans. For me, it wasn't rubbing a 60 point win in, but a go away you racial abusers this is me and my culture is important to me moment, like Winmars.

Look how close Sydney Slack got to his opposition and made the throwing motion in the pre game last week! Makes me wonder if we can now embrace and celebrate Aboriginal culture with the backing of AFL Australia wide.
Like I said, no issue with the action itself, I just hate OTT goal celebrations in general from any player.

It was because of comments like from Chris Scott saying he wouldn't take his kids to games at Subiaco, our free kick differential being above the others, and our well known hostile home crowd. In the end I don't think Adam Goodes ever singled out West Coast specifically but it is sad to think we were part of the problem that caused him to retire prematurely.

Ah yes, the game when Tom Hawkins was knocked out in quite a sickening manner.

I remember on AFL 360 they went on and on about how bad the crowd was. Saying how bad we were while the vision showed the entire crowd giving him a standing ovation as he was carried off.

Then they quickly cut to a guy over the other side of the ground in a different quarter who had a few too many brews and was chucked from the ground as their proof of Hawkins being abused.

One of the most disgusting pieces of “journalism” I’ve ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back