Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can all agree that the AFL has some Victorian-centric tendencies. The issue with Non-Victorian clubs having to travel to GMHBA, Tassie, Ballarat etc and the Grand Final deal are things we can put in the "we all agree on this basket".

In terms of the overall structure of the competition. So much has already changed since we entered the comp 34 years ago. Fewer list spots, having to pay Vic teams, no finals at home, then losing earned home finals.

Things are trending towards a fairer more national competition. It doesn't make sense to bring up issues from 20 -30 years ago as examples of Victorian bias. Literally, those issues have been addressed and in any normal year are no longer a feature of our competition, so to bring them up as arguments about Vicbias in current day AFL landscape is redundant. Was it totally unfair at the time at which they happened? Absolutely! That's why the AFL changed the MCG agreement.

It is when people take that and then extrapolate that Victorian-Bias colours every single decision that the AFL makes. Majority of times they are not instances of Victorian-bias at all, and often the posters assertions aren't even factually correct to begin with.

That extends to this boards absolute obsession with Richmond. No matter what fixture Richmond got this year, there would be posters saying they got special treatment from the AFL.

EG: When the first 5 rounds of the season resumption were released, the melts on this board were incredible, saying Richmond got sucked off by the VFL again. I pointed out that they actually had a difficult draw, playing Collingwood first up, followed by St Kilda at Marvel (a stadium they don't play well at), followed by Hawthorn (who many said would play finals) followed by us off a 5 days break. People said I was crazy and continued their melt (Dark Sharks). Round 5 obviously got rescheduled, but ultimately Richmond went 1W 2L 1D from that period, with the sole win being their rescheduled R5 game. There certainly wasn't anyone on this board engaging in any actual reflection "oh, maybe I was wrong and Richmond didn't get an easy draw". Instead, they go hunting for the next circumstance on which they can project their "VFL is biased" propaganda on to.

Somehow it is now that Richmond didn't have to travel to Perth for the Perth hub. Logic and rationality will tell you only a finite amount of teams can play in Perth. The Tiger's didn't come to Perth, but the played GWS in Sydney (a place they haven't won at since 2015), Port in Adelaide (bad record there), and Essendon in Darwin, on a 5 day break, having to travel back to QLD and take on West Coast 5 days later.

Just like their fixture in round 2-5 being called soft, posters in here cry about Richmond being given an easy draw, which is completely detached from reality. West Coast has played 6 teams on their home ground against interstate opponents and an incredible 2 teams in actual away games (Brisbane and Gold Coast). Every other game has occurred on a neutral venue, and other than flying in to the hub, have not had to travel once during the entire fixture.

Yes, our fixture from round 13-17 was incredibly difficult. But unlike other teams such as Geelong and Collingwood, we completely avoided the first round of condensed fixturing. While other teams were playing off 4&5 day breaks in a hub. Our guys were sitting at home, sleeping in their own bed, playing off 7&8 day breaks against blokes who had just come out of quarantine. Somehow that is completely overlooked and absent from any discussion around weighting of the fixture. If you believe that big Victorian clubs are always sucked off by AFL, how do you explain Collingwood (arguably the biggest club, and the one that historically receives the most favourable treatment) having to come to Perth to quarantine in the hub, play West Coast at home, and then leave WA having been handed a fixture that saw them play 4 games in 14 days in 3 different states?

It feels like posters are looking for reasons to explain why the Tigers have been more successful than us over the last 4 seasons, and they then mine over the fixture to look for tiny advantages, incredibly, to the point of spending hours upon hours creating spreadsheets to back up their preconceived notions. Yet, when they do so, it is always an asymmetrical argument that fails to acknowledge the advantages over opposition we have had.

Sorry guys, Richmond have had more success over the last 3 years, simply because they have been a better team than us when you look at the 3 seasons as a collective.

The constant presence of "vic-bias" narrative has actually conditioned people to actively look for instances of Vic-bias. Rather than look at things with a balanced and critical eye, they process every decision made by the AFL through a filter of AFL being inherently biased. The end result is any issue such as venue for the 2020 AFL GF, which teams go to Perth, how many home games we get etc, is explained away as VFL doing VFL things.

My favourite is that the AFL chose Gabba as host of the AFL GF over SA/WA to ensure that the event flopped to the reinforce the importance of having the GF at the MCG in the future.

In order to believe that, you would have to believe that the AFL is willing to sabotage their own product as a means to create an argument for why the AFL GF needs to stay at the MCG. It is such an incredibly bizarre and flawed argument. The AFL doesn't need to do any such thing. All they need to do is hold up the contract with MCC to indicate why the GF will be going back to the MCG. Much easier than sabotaging their blue ribbon event. But don't let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.

Sorry for the late reply, but I was going to do this the next day, but forgot.

The AFL might not make the same overt choices as 20 years ago (us playing home finals at the MCG), but, if it really is improving, and the AFL is becoming more conscious of the fact that they actually manage a national competition, then those recent examples would be exemptions. But they’re not, and demonstrably so, because they literally happened over the past 2 years. The MCG deal was announced in 2018, Richmond got given 7 consecutive games at their home ground in 2019, and we got a 4 day break with an interstate plane trip this year.

You would have a point if these happened sparsely over the past 10 years, but these events all took place in the span of 2 seasons. I would say drawing attention to more explicit examples in the past helps to provide reasoning as to why this is happening now, despite the fact we’re three decades into the national leagues official conception. The confusing thing is that these are so regressive, and really shouldn‘t be happening at all.

The problem with Richmond’s draw wasn’t with who they were playing, it was the fact they had five straight games in Victoria to start the season. The problem is the fact that the reigning premiers started the season without travelling at all - nevertheless, I think the reaction was from before COVID hit, and we didn’t have the situation we do now. Correct me if I’m wrong, though.

The problem with the fact Richmond didn’t come over here is because they were supposed to - they last played us in Perth in 2018. Surely it wouldn’t be that hard to schedule them to come here, given it’s their turn to face us on our home ground. Now, the circumstances have changed things quite massively, and scheduling is quite different - but if Collingwood were able to come over here, and Sydney, why couldn’t Richmond? What stopped them from flying into Perth, even if our game against them was changed? It’s their goddamn turn for a difficult fixture, especially since they are the reigning premiers.

And yes, Victorian clubs haven’t been able to stay home, and have had to endure the worst conditions of all the teams. Those quarantine measures and the travelling they had to do take a toll - but it’s something we deal with each year anyway, although, without the restrictions. Our massive travel burden over the years shouldn’t just be thrown out the door when considering things, the AFL should take that into account. The past can’t just be ignored.

What’s happening might be unfair for the Vics this year, but what about for us, last year, in regular season, when we came up against a Richmond side who hadn’t left Vic in 7 weeks?

Collingwood coming over here represents a team that had to be screwed for the season to go ahead, just like us when we left WA for the first hub. The questionable thing is why it wasn’t the Tigers instead. They have massive support over here, why not have them play in front of a proper crowd at Perth Stadium?

And you can’t just ignore the stuff Dylan82 has brought up as well - why does it seem that Richmond have been given disproportionate breaks compared to their opponents?

I think you’re being massively unfair to the people on here. These things aren’t said for no reason - if Geelong got a home final the past couple seasons as they should have, if Richmond in 2019 didn’t get 7 consecutive games at the MCG to end the season, if we weren‘t sent to Darwin last year, with a Vic club who hadn’t been there in ages taking our place, I’d consider this a more fair competition. If the GF was rotated like every other sports league in the world, I’d even consider it a true national competition. But it isn’t, unfortunately.

There’s a reason I rate Brisbane’s threepeat over Hawthorn’s, and it’s not because I’m bitter about 2015. Come on, give people on here a bit more credit.

And I asked you in my previous post, but I’ll expand it here - when Geelong demanded massive compensation for Tim Kelly to come home, with TK’s reasoning being far more valid than most trade requests, and then only offered a pick in the 50s for Jack Steven, who had similar personal reasons to move, don’t you find that massively odd? Or what about Derwayne’s comments last season, which I’m sure you remember?

Seems some Melb commentators have just discovered the phrase ‘sleeping in your own bed’ and how it will be an comparative advantage for WCE players for the next week or two. Don’t ever remember it being mentioned when the Vic clubs have that advantage (every season).

Funny ‘bout that.
Why don't they just pack their beds on the plane and bring them over? Pretty simple fix I would've thought.

Sorry for the late reply, but I was going to do this the next day, but forgot.

The AFL might not make the same overt choices as 20 years ago (us playing home finals at the MCG), but, if it really is improving, and the AFL is becoming more conscious of the fact that they actually manage a national competition, then those recent examples would be exemptions. But they’re not, and demonstrably so, because they literally happened over the past 2 years. The MCG deal was announced in 2018, Richmond got given 7 consecutive games at their home ground in 2019, and we got a 4 day break with an interstate plane trip this year.

You would have a point if these happened sparsely over the past 10 years, but these events all took place in the span of 2 seasons. I would say drawing attention to more explicit examples in the past helps to provide reasoning as to why this is happening now, despite the fact we’re three decades into the national leagues official conception. The confusing thing is that these are so regressive, and really shouldn‘t be happening at all.

The problem with Richmond’s draw wasn’t with who they were playing, it was the fact they had five straight games in Victoria to start the season. The problem is the fact that the reigning premiers started the season without travelling at all - nevertheless, I think the reaction was from before COVID hit, and we didn’t have the situation we do now. Correct me if I’m wrong, though.

The problem with the fact Richmond didn’t come over here is because they were supposed to - they last played us in Perth in 2018. Surely it wouldn’t be that hard to schedule them to come here, given it’s their turn to face us on our home ground. Now, the circumstances have changed things quite massively, and scheduling is quite different - but if Collingwood were able to come over here, and Sydney, why couldn’t Richmond? What stopped them from flying into Perth, even if our game against them was changed? It’s their goddamn turn for a difficult fixture, especially since they are the reigning premiers.

And yes, Victorian clubs haven’t been able to stay home, and have had to endure the worst conditions of all the teams. Those quarantine measures and the travelling they had to do take a toll - but it’s something we deal with each year anyway, although, without the restrictions. Our massive travel burden over the years shouldn’t just be thrown out the door when considering things, the AFL should take that into account. The past can’t just be ignored.

What’s happening might be unfair for the Vics this year, but what about for us, last year, in regular season, when we came up against a Richmond side who hadn’t left Vic in 7 weeks?

Collingwood coming over here represents a team that had to be screwed for the season to go ahead, just like us when we left WA for the first hub. The questionable thing is why it wasn’t the Tigers instead. They have massive support over here, why not have them play in front of a proper crowd at Perth Stadium?

And you can’t just ignore the stuff Dylan82 has brought up as well - why does it seem that Richmond have been given disproportionate breaks compared to their opponents?

I think you’re being massively unfair to the people on here. These things aren’t said for no reason - if Geelong got a home final the past couple seasons as they should have, if Richmond in 2019 didn’t get 7 consecutive games at the MCG to end the season, if we weren‘t sent to Darwin last year, with a Vic club who hadn’t been there in ages taking our place, I’d consider this a more fair competition. If the GF was rotated like every other sports league in the world, I’d even consider it a true national competition. But it isn’t, unfortunately.

There’s a reason I rate Brisbane’s threepeat over Hawthorn’s, and it’s not because I’m bitter about 2015. Come on, give people on here a bit more credit.

And I asked you in my previous post, but I’ll expand it here - when Geelong demanded massive compensation for Tim Kelly to come home, with TK’s reasoning being far more valid than most trade requests, and then only offered a pick in the 50s for Jack Steven, who had similar personal reasons to move, don’t you find that massively odd? Or what about Derwayne’s comments last season, which I’m sure you remember?

I'm not going to spend a whole lot of time mulling over the issues, but I'll quickly respond to the ones that stand out:

1) I had zero issue with playing Melbourne in NT last year. The club asks for 3 MCG games, and got them. I actually really liked playing Melbourne in Alice Springs, less travel, and had no idea that was an issue on this board.

2) Richmond got 7 games at the MCG, first time any team has had that since 2010. You are literally using the exception to prove the rule. It doesn't stack up.

3) Geelong can demand what they like for Tim Kelly, trading players is a deal between two clubs. Tim Kelly is 25 year old All Australian, who has played every single game for us this year, and has had 3 or more games as best on ground. Jack Steven is 30, has played 3-4 games, probably won't play next year. Their value is worlds apart. I don't understand your point on this?

4) I don't even know what you're talking about re: Dwayne Russell

5) Dylan's post was trash. It was reverse engineering a post for likes and then finding the data to support it.

6) Pointing to the fact that Richmond have had 5 straight weeks in Victoria is absolutely absurd. Firstly, they were scheduled to travel (to play us) and people in here didn't like. Now you're holding up that they didn't travel. LMAO. You can't have it both ways when it suits you. The Richmond obsession will never stop on this board. Never mind that people's whingeing about them doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
I'm not going to spend a whole lot of time mulling over the issues, but I'll quickly respond to the ones that stand out:

1) I had zero issue with playing Melbourne in NT last year. The club asks for 3 MCG games, and got them. I actually really liked playing Melbourne in Alice Springs, less travel, and had no idea that was an issue on this board.

2) Richmond got 7 games at the MCG, first time any team has had that since 2010. You are literally using the exception to prove the rule. It doesn't stack up.

3) Geelong can demand what they like for Tim Kelly, trading players is a deal between two clubs. Tim Kelly is 25 year old All Australian, who has played every single game for us this year, and has had 3 or more games as best on ground. Jack Steven is 30, has played 3-4 games, probably won't play next year. Their value is worlds apart. I don't understand your point on this?

5) Dylan's post was trash. It was reverse engineering a post for likes and then finding the data to support it.

6) Pointing to the fact that Richmond have had 5 straight weeks in Victoria is absolutely absurd. Firstly, they were scheduled to travel (to play us) and people in here didn't like. Now you're holding up that they didn't travel. LMAO. You can't have it both ways when it suits you. The Richmond obsession will never stop on this board. Never mind that people's whingeing about them doesn't make sense.
Point 3 and Point 5 are pretty contradictory.

You have reverse engineered both TK's and JS's stats (using stats from this year, which were not known at the time of the trade) to show that the value agreed at the time was right.

Fact is, Steven was/is a 4-time b&f winner. Sure he is 30, but look at what was paid (overs) for Gibbs. Pick 50-odd was a disgrace, it should never have been signed off by the AFL.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Point 3 and Point 5 are pretty contradictory.

You have reverse engineered both TK's and JS's stats (using stats from this year, which were not known at the time of the trade) to show that the value agreed at the time was right.

Fact is, Steven was/is a 4-time b&f winner. Sure he is 30, but look at what was paid (overs) for Gibbs. Pick 50-odd was a disgrace, it should never have been signed off by the AFL.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We don’t know the behind the scenes issues that Steven was confronted with.

Pick 50 for a guy who has played 3-4 games this year, has been in their bottom six players almost every game he has played and likely won’t play on, sounds just about right.

Even if you assess each request based on 2019 form they are world apart. Steven unfit with significant challenges around his wellbeing vs TK AA after his second season in the AFL system, rookie of the year in 2018, etc etc.

In terms of TK- we did pay over. Probably should have kept pick 31. I felt like that was far more about the fact that we weren’t able to get the deal done last year and we didn’t want tk and his family spending all week in limbo as the did in 2018. There are some Circumstances where you just need to prioritise getting it done over haggling over 2nd and 3rd round draft picks. I don’t think the club folded because their were people in Victoria critical of Tim picking only one club.

The two are worlds apart.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Why do we even have an “exception” occurring in this day and age of such even competition. Do you think when the fixture is being dreamed up and created someone goes “oh Richmond have 7 games in a row at the sacred ground home of football, should be ok. It’s an exception this year. Don’t think it will happen again. They were in the prelim last year and won the grand final the year before but should be ok.”

And in response to Dylan’s data. I don’t think it’s trash. Data is what’s used to prove facts. If you think there’s an anomaly typically you will test a sample. Did he find data to support his claim? Oh I think he did.

And you are happy for us to travel to the NT? Why not we get an extra home game and two of the “power” clubs in the afl go.

Why do we even have an “exception” occurring in this day and age of such even competition. Do you think when the fixture is being dreamed up and created someone goes “oh Richmond have 7 games in a row at the sacred ground home of football, should be ok. It’s an exception this year. Don’t think it will happen again. They were in the prelim last year and won the grand final the year before but should be ok.”

And in response to Dylan’s data. I don’t think it’s trash. Data is what’s used to prove facts. If you think there’s an anomaly typically you will test a sample. Did he find data to support his claim? Oh I think he did.

And you are happy for us to travel to the NT? Why not we get an extra home game and two of the “power” clubs in the afl go.

If something occurs once every ten years, as is the case with Richmond's 2019 fixture, it is by definition not a data point to support the conclusion that Victorian clubs get easiest fixtures every year. That's simple logic. Was it poor fixturing? Yes. Is it an indication that AFL is looking after big Victorian clubs every year. No, otherwise it would happen every year, and it doesn't.

About 2019. At the end of 2018 we were given our 2019 fixture, we had double ups against Collingwood and Melbourne, who both made prelim finals and Melbourne was considered by many of the bookies and media commentators as one of the flag favourites. By playing in Alice Springs we literally avoided having to play a top 4 rival on their home deck. Simultaneously, the club requested and the AFL granted us 3 games at the MCG. That particular element of the fixutre was win win for us. I'm not sure how this is an issue.

Dylan is a very smart guy, and he knows as well as anyone that if you are using data to support an argument, you also present the data that doesn't support what you are saying, and present a balanced argument. He didn't, and I assume that he didn't on purpose, because he was just dishing out some red meat to the folks on here that are looking for extra ammunition to support their petty grievances.

Richmond didn't come to WA. True. What is also true is since they moved to QLD they are the only club that has played in NSW (GWS), SA (x2 including Port off a 4 day break) and NT (off a 5 day break against Essendon with a 5 day turnaround to get back to QLD and play us). That is not an easy fixture. Richmond has had ZERO games this year where they have had home ground advantage. But yet, the narrative being peddled by many is that they have had it easy.

At the beginning of the year, flag favourites were Richmond, GWS, Collingwood, West Coast with Geelong on the next rung of teams. We played 3 of those 4 teams on our home ground, and yet people complain that we played too many top teams "away" even though the only team we played a true away game against was Brisbane.

The newest victim complex is people saying that playing Richmond in Metricon was not a neutral game due to Richmond residing in QLD at the time. That argument is nonsense. We had been in QLD for 5 weeks earlier in the season, had plenty of exposure to the conditions and the ground. Both teams were coming off short turnaround with travel.

Posters in here are actually becoming parodies of themselves finding new and creative ways to blame our results and standing on the ladder on either oppo teams, the VFL, or bizarrely a goal umpire conspiracy.

Two 5th place finishes hurts, but to try and blamed others for the situation we find ourselves in is neither accurate, productive, or particularly edifying. It's easy to blame external factors for disappointments or not reaching the level we think our club is capable of. Deep down inside I'm sure most posters know that we simply haven't been good enough the last two years on a consistent week in week out basis to warrant top 4. Rather than get caught up in the bitterness of blaming others, cop it on the chin and look to continually improve and get better.

If something occurs once every ten years, as is the case with Richmond's 2019 fixture, it is by definition not a data point to support the conclusion that Victorian clubs get easiest fixtures every year. That's simple logic. Was it poor fixturing? Yes. Is it an indication that AFL is looking after big Victorian clubs every year. No, otherwise it would happen every year, and it doesn't.

About 2019. At the end of 2018 we were given our 2019 fixture, we had double ups against Collingwood and Melbourne, who both made prelim finals and Melbourne was considered by many of the bookies and media commentators as one of the flag favourites. By playing in Alice Springs we literally avoided having to play a top 4 rival on their home deck. Simultaneously, the club requested and the AFL granted us 3 games at the MCG. That particular element of the fixutre was win win for us. I'm not sure how this is an issue.

Dylan is a very smart guy, and he knows as well as anyone that if you are using data to support an argument, you also present the data that doesn't support what you are saying, and present a balanced argument. He didn't, and I assume that he didn't on purpose, because he was just dishing out some red meat to the folks on here that are looking for extra ammunition to support their petty grievances.

Richmond didn't come to WA. True. What is also true is since they moved to QLD they are the only club that has played in NSW (GWS), SA (x2 including Port off a 4 day break) and NT (off a 5 day break against Essendon with a 5 day turnaround to get back to QLD and play us). That is not an easy fixture. Richmond has had ZERO games this year where they have had home ground advantage. But yet, the narrative being peddled by many is that they have had it easy.

At the beginning of the year, flag favourites were Richmond, GWS, Collingwood, West Coast with Geelong on the next rung of teams. We played 3 of those 4 teams on our home ground, and yet people complain that we played too many top teams "away" even though the only team we played a true away game against was Brisbane.

The newest victim complex is people saying that playing Richmond in Metricon was not a neutral game due to Richmond residing in QLD at the time. That argument is nonsense. We had been in QLD for 5 weeks earlier in the season, had plenty of exposure to the conditions and the ground. Both teams were coming off short turnaround with travel.

Posters in here are actually becoming parodies of themselves finding new and creative ways to blame our results and standing on the ladder on either oppo teams, the VFL, or bizarrely a goal umpire conspiracy.

Two 5th place finishes hurts, but to try and blamed others for the situation we find ourselves in is neither accurate, productive, or particularly edifying. It's easy to blame external factors for disappointments or not reaching the level we think our club is capable of. Deep down inside I'm sure most posters know that we simply haven't been good enough the last two years on a consistent week in week out basis to warrant top 4. Rather than get caught up in the bitterness of blaming others, cop it on the chin and look to continually improve and get better.

Once again you are wrong.

Richmond have had home ground advantage this year.

They played at the MCG in rounds one, two, three and five. In round four they played at Marvel Stadium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it is not. If it is your home ground, it is your home ground.

I didn't say it wasn' their home ground, I said they have played zero games with home ground advantage. Which is by definition a game where you play on your home ground against a team who's not on their home ground.

Richmond: 5 games in their home state, and 12 interstate.

West Coast: 7 home 10 interstate.

I didn't say it wasn' their home ground, I said they have played zero games with home ground advantage. Which is by definition a game where you play on your home ground against a team who's not on their home ground.

Statistically, it has been proven that the nominal team mentioned first win more often than they lose so home ground advantage does exist.

Statistically, it has been proven that the nominal team mentioned first win more often than they lose so home ground advantage does exist.

Funny that. Let's have a little look at Richmonds early fixture:

Round 1 v Carlton: Richmond home team
Result: Win

Round 2 v Collingwood: Collingwood home team
Result: Draw

Round 3 v Hawthorn: Richmond home team
Result: Loss

Round 4 v St Kilda: St Kilda home team (Marvel)

Round 5 v Melbourne: Melbourne home team

Wel;, there goes that "Vicco bias" tin foil hat conspiracy theory.

Do you have any other pathetic excuses that need to be debunked with simple logic?

Funny that. Let's have a little look at Richmonds early fixture:

Round 1 v Carlton: Richmond home team

Round 2 v Collingwood: Collingwood home team
Result: Draw

Round 3 v Hawthorn: Richmond home team

Round 4 v St Kilda: St Kilda home team (Marvel)

Round 5 v Melbourne: Melbourne home team

Wel;, there goes that "Vicco bias" tin foil hat conspiracy theory.

Do you have any other pathetic excuses that need to be debunked with simple logic?

but... as you say...
If something occurs once every ten years, as is the case with Richmond's 2019 fixture, it is by definition not a data point to support the conclusion

Quite a small sample you have selected

but... as you say...
If something occurs once every ten years, as is the case with Richmond's 2019 fixture, it is by definition not a data point to support the conclusion

Quite a small sample you have selected

That was in response to the post I quoted that said Richmond had some strange advantage from early in the season as they were listed first in the fixture. Which is both bizarre, and not supported by facts from the period which he cited.

You need to read in order to understand what the post was in response to, otherwise your post has no relevance as it is out of context.

This is a very simplistic view on it, this season aside.

When Freo have been rubbish we have been at a major advantage playing them twice in a season irrespective of if it was an away or home game. Same goes for MCG Challenging Tenants v MCG Rubbish Tenants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back