Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

This is an edited extract from The Boys’ Club by Michael Warner (Hachette Australia, $33), available now

Well the name of the publishing house is appropriate

Yeah sorry.

Much better not to make finals. My mistake

Maybe it is. Maybe if you don't make the finals then you might be forced to admit you are not going to make the GF because you are just (statistically) making up numbers by perennially finishing 5-8. Maybe then you can start the journey to getting back up to the top four - whether that's list mgt or coaches or player welfare or game plan or fairer draw or less travel or ...

But if finishing 5-8 keeps you happy then you might be in tune with some of the players whose efforts seem to indicate that just making the finals is their end goal.

For me WCE in their short history has been one of the most successful AFL clubs - using the measure that counts most - premierships. I want to see that maintained and increased because apart from making us WCE diehards happy it sure shits the Vics!! :)

2007 called, it wants it's story back (don't know if already posted): https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/t...d/news-story/14ea2b300274cfc7c6daf915230b9cd9

14 years on and we still get this - yet crickets are heard in regard to arguably a much wider drug use culture at [conjuction] triple premiers; Collingwood and it's long-term associations with organised criminal activities; St Kilda and their gang-bangs with very murky consent; Carlton and widespread problem gambling issues among players; and the obvious injecting (cheating) saga at Essendon.

I understand with the main market being Victoria we make an easy target - and rehashed beat-ups about Adelaide or Port or Brisbane (or any other non-Victorian club) don't get the same amount of collective impact as stories about how terrible that team over on the other side of the continent really is - but it would be nice to see other clubs held to the same level of media accountability that is scrutinised over us.

29 years ago the club took the crown away from Victoria and has been seen as the bogeyman ever since.

Funny that each time this gets dug back up (after being cremated and buried multiple times), the club then tends to have another period of success - so if that is the case, may it continue then.

14 years on and we still get this - yet crickets are heard in regard to arguably a much wider drug use culture at [conjuction] triple premiers; Collingwood and it's long-term associations with organised criminal activities; St Kilda and their gang-bangs with very murky consent; Carlton and widespread problem gambling issues among players; and the obvious injecting (cheating) saga at Essendon.

I understand with the main market being Victoria we make an easy target - and rehashed beat-ups about Adelaide or Port or Brisbane (or any other non-Victorian club) don't get the same amount of collective impact as stories about how terrible that team over on the other side of the continent really is - but it would be nice to see other clubs held to the same level of media accountability that is scrutinised over us.

29 years ago the club took the crown away from Victoria and has been seen as the bogeyman ever since.

Funny that each time this gets dug back up (after being cremated and buried multiple times), the club then tends to have another period of success - so if that is the case, may it continue then.

Agree. I think the main thing that shits the Vics is our success - and our success means that try as they like in too many years they can't ignore us at the pointy end. There is no comparison between how the Vics rate us v the Dockers. The Dockers don't (regularly/seriously) challenge for a flag so the Vics aren't too concerned. We do. We have the audacity to upset the Vic boys club ('bloody upstarts'). More than happy to see another period like a couple of decades ago when the Vics won SFA. 2000-2006 all nonVic and 1992-2006 10 of 15 to the cheeky 'interstaters'.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe it is. Maybe if you don't make the finals then you might be forced to admit you are not going to make the GF because you are just (statistically) making up numbers by perennially finishing 5-8. Maybe then you can start the journey to getting back up to the top four - whether that's list mgt or coaches or player welfare or game plan or fairer draw or less travel or ...

But if finishing 5-8 keeps you happy then you might be in tune with some of the players whose efforts seem to indicate that just making the finals is their end goal.

For me WCE in their short history has been one of the most successful AFL clubs - using the measure that counts most - premierships. I want to see that maintained and increased because apart from making us WCE diehards happy it sure shits the Vics!! :)

So top 4 x 3 times, but also 5th x 3 times (and once 6th, and 2 of the 5th and the 6th place were by percentage - I.e. equal with 4th on points).

9th in 2014, 8th in 2017 - we were still very much interested in making finals the year before we made grand finals.

We don't accept mediocrity and finishing mid table, and that is why we are one of the more successful clubs.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can’t believe there is still more to write but not surprising it gets another run.

Just takes time, another 5 years and it’s 20 years ago, hopefully Cousins, Kerr and co. can keep themselves on the straight and narrow by then and eventually it just becomes too long ago for anyone to really give a s**t - if it’s not there already.

That said, venture into a FB comments section about Willie Rioli and your average mouth breather still strongly associates this period with the club today (ie footy casuals, trolls, non footy following morally outraged types) - so the longer old stories get rehashed and the ex players continue to front court for a variety of reasons then I guess it’s just a cross to bear.

I preferred the collective confusion about Liam Ryan looking comfortable playing out of the square as a marking forward...

If only he had a basketball background, they’d remember that...

It's because they can't wrap their stupid heads around an indigenous player being the complete package. Only see them as a certain stereotype.

Ryan is one of the most well rounded players Ive seen in a long time, can do everything well. Absolute A grade gun.

Imagine if they continually brought up Ablett SNR and the drug death, there'd be hell to pay for mentioning it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back