Delisted Jack Martin [Selected by Carlton in the PSD]

Remove this Banner Ad

Now we get to the bottom of it. I'm guessing you're one of those disgruntled Dees supporters who thought Martin was going to land at the Dees until the Blues trumped you by front loading his salary for the initial 2 year period of his contract without paying a cent extra overall.

Yup! A quick search of your posting history in this thread confirms it. Lol. Stooged!

Over the term of his contract Martin is being paid the same as Brandon Ellis. So yes, definitely not top 10 pick territory.
Not disgruntled in the slightest, he would've been handy but not at a million a season in any season.

If you're paying a player a million dollars per season at any stage then it is ludicrous to think that he's not worth a top 10 pick.

You're just trying to paint your club in a positive light when they didn't negotiate in good faith, you don't need to defend it because they didn't break any rules but you should acknowledge it.

I thought the AFL changed the rules on that so front loading contracts doesn’t impact other teams ability to match? or is it only for restricted free agents?

As I understand it, the Dees could've matched the contract if they wanted to, but had to match the terms too, which meant they would also have to front load the contract and pay Martin $1m for the next two years, after which time they could reduce to make it $600k over the term of the contract. Martin made it clear he didn't want to go to the Dees and I guess they didn't wanna clog up their cap with $1m a year for player who didn't wanna play there.

As I understand it, the Dees could've matched the contract if they wanted to, but had to match the terms too, which meant they would also have to front load the contract and pay Martin $1m for the next two years, after which time they could reduce to make it $600k over the term of the contract. Martin made it clear he didn't want to go to the Dees and I guess they didn't wanna clog up their cap with $1m a year for player who didn't wanna play there.

Yeah the rule change must have just been for matching restricted fa which I think now allows clubs to just match the years and dollars.

Don't think Dezzy is a troll, read plenty of decent and insightful posts by him, but he clearly doesn't like Carlton.

But he is entitled to opinions, regardless of how wrong or misguided we think they are.
Whatever the case may be he is clearly too blinkered to be worth responding to.

Whatever the case may be he is clearly too blinkered to be worth responding to.

You have to wonder if Dezzy would have the same views he has had if Jack Martin agreed to join The Demons in the PSD ?.

I could be wrong but I feel like some of his opinions over this this issue is that J-Mart pretty much told The Demons to Go Forth and Multiply (refused to even interview their list manager)

I doubt the Demons would have offered the Suns any better trade deal than we did, at any rate..

Not disgruntled in the slightest, he would've been handy but not at a million a season in any season.

If you're paying a player a million dollars per season at any stage then it is ludicrous to think that he's not worth a top 10 pick.

You're just trying to paint your club in a positive light when they didn't negotiate in good faith, you don't need to defend it because they didn't break any rules but you should acknowledge it.

Aesop's Fox mate.

We're paying Martin the same as Brandon Ellis over the term of his contract. That's the value of his contract. That Carlton banked so much cap over the preceding years that they had wiggle room to front load the contract doesn't translate to trade value. That's just idiotic.

Carlton let it be known our top 10 pick was never on the table. Not negotiating in good faith was GCS insisting nothing less.

You have to wonder if Dezzy would have the same views he has had if Jack Martin agreed to join The Demons in the PSD ?.

I could be wrong but I feel like some of his opinions over this this issue is that J-Mart pretty much told The Demons to Go Forth and Multiply (refused to even interview their list manager)

I doubt the Demons would have offered the Suns any better trade deal than we did, at any rate..
Most likely but he has the shits on every Carlton threads I've seen regardless of the outcome.

Like I said he would've been a handy addition but not on the contract he got, so I'm not fussed we didn't get him as I'm quite happy with taking a punt on a bargain basement price Harley Bennell to get that class.

He would've joined any club who was willing to give him the contract that Carlton did but no club was willing to do so, he went where the money was which is fine and he's entitled to do so.

The Dogs would've been the best fit for him from a football perspective but they weren't willing to give him that sort of money.

Like I said he would've been a handy addition but not on the contract he got, so I'm not fussed we didn't get him as I'm quite happy with taking a punt on a bargain basement price Harley Bennell to get that class.

He would've joined any club who was willing to give him the contract that Carlton did but no club was willing to do so, he went where the money was which is fine and he's entitled to do so.

The Dogs would've been the best fit for him from a football perspective but they weren't willing to give him that sort of money.

There’s no doubt the Dogs would have tacked on some extra dollars if it meant getting him for free. Their initial offer was reportedly larger than ours but obviously we aren’t now paying what we initially offered Jack.

If we did what you suggested we’d effectively be without Brodie Kemp and Sam Philp on our list. Instead we have all 3. Happy with the way it was handled and it seems like the Suns would say the same.

Please do, because I distinctly remember there being an article suggesting the Dogs' offer was greater financially.
Yeah reports were that our offer was highest.

The Bulldogs tabled Martin the most generous offer — as much as $700,000 per season for five years — but the outside ball winner has rejected overtures from Whitten Oval and Fremantle, leaving the Blues in pole position to strike a trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good is it carlton got him for no picks!

The lady doth protest too much me thinks.

Making s**t up about the Doggies not being willing to pay Martin as much, when the opposite it true, is just confirmation you're in dissonance induced rationalisation mode.

Sorry bud, Carlton got a player you wanted at less of a salary than others were willing to pay, for the contract value of a Brandon Ellis, and for zero cost trade wise. Pain you as it may, dems just the facts.

I doubt Gold Coast would have been quite so brazen, had they not received all those gifts from the AFL.

Remember that their president wanted to make a statement, but couldn't follow through after all the early bravado.
He was likely still high on he offerings bestowed upon his club, at the time.

Play it any way you want; Gold Coast should have taken what was on offer.
Any perceived benefits for not wanting to do so, will be well countered for not having the bird in the hand come the National Draft. Ask their List Manager.

There's this insinuation Martin wouldn't have been playing well if still at GC, but I think this is pretty false. Why wouldn't he also be riding their current wave of momentum and playing good footy? Plenty of last years underperformers have started well this season.

The stance they took was still incredibly dumb. I remember being annoyed with Carlton for making dumb decisions like trading a contracted Garlett for a late pick and delisting Mitch Robinson, but not accepting anything (despite the obvious factors - he was uncontracted, out of form, had nominated a club etc) made them look unprofessional and petty.

A reminder GC let this guy go for nothing.

A steal for the Blues.
Yep.
Thank you Gold Coast. Drunk on gifts from AFL with draft package they did not do right thing by him or themselves at time.
Hopefully they learn. Still do not get why he never played this well at Gold Coast.
All behind him now. Second half of his career going to be a good ride to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back