Jack Watts

Remove this Banner Ad

Come on mate thats just crap. 'Culture he needed'. Melbourne gave him everything he needed and more and he never finished in our best and fairest. Tell me how someone who is so talented can't place in the worst team of the decade excluding the expansion teams.

Dean Terlich and Matt Jones placed 2nd and 3rd in our BNF in 2012. Both delisted a couple years later. I know he's your player now so your going to spend the next x amount of years defending him like we did but you've gotta wonder why we were happy to offload him for a nothing pick and pay his salary.

I take very little weight into Best and Fairest votes. Don’t forget Lever didn’t even finish top 10 last year in Adelaide’s..

I take very little weight into Best and Fairest votes. Don’t forget Lever didn’t even finish top 10 last year in Adelaide’s..

Lever still has 7 years in front of him to match Watts out put. Look I'm kinda sick of talking about the guy. He very well may become a star at Port but it will be equally to do with Melbourne telling him to leave as it will be ports 'culcha'

Last pre season all the talk was Melbourne could make the finals. Jack Watts turned up unfit and was banned from pre season games. A 27 year old who had been through all of the s**t at Melbourne wasn't prepared to do the extra for us when it mattered and as a supporter who's paid memberships for 2 decades and watched some putrid footy in amongst I don't care what he does now he's gone. He will dominate games but frankly come back to me in 2 years when everything has settled and everyone has done telling him how great he is again.

Lever still has 7 years in front of him to match Watts out put. Look I'm kinda sick of talking about the guy. He very well may become a star at Port but it will be equally to do with Melbourne telling him to leave as it will be ports 'culcha'

Last pre season all the talk was Melbourne could make the finals. Jack Watts turned up unfit and was banned from pre season games. A 27 year old who had been through all of the s**t at Melbourne wasn't prepared to do the extra for us when it mattered and as a supporter who's paid memberships for 2 decades and watched some putrid footy in amongst I don't care what he does now he's gone. He will dominate games but frankly come back to me in 2 years when everything has settled and everyone has done telling him how great he is again.
Yea you really seem to not care lel

Did you see his tackling and attack pn the footy at ground level?
Watts' issue is attacking the ball in flight. His tackling and ground work has been good for a while. Hopefully he stops trying to take contested chest marks.

I really hope Trengove does well for you guys but unfortunately his foot has made him too slow for AFL.
You can thank the Melbourne medical team for mismanagaging his foot. If I was McDonald or Viney I'd be seeking outside treatment due the clubs poor record of treating/managing foot injuries.
Wrong Trengove.
He was talking about our Trengove that got traded out.

All I've seen in the last two games is a highly skilled player being asked to play to his strenghts. That he had done and done reasonably well.

If the day comes where he is asked to cover roles he is not suited for then expectations will be lowered.
If he is asked to do this too often then I'd be asking questions about the coach.

Westhoff is not Ryder. Watts is not Dixon. Dixon is not Watts.

Last edited:
There is nothing unusual about his efforts yesterday, id like to see him produce that against a top 4 side away from Port Adelaide. He also has a mature Westhoff and Dixon supporting him by being the third tall, something Melbourne didn’t have. When we needed him to help us build a forward line, he wasn’t able to.

How is that Watts fault? Sounds like he was misused by your club to me. Why try to turn him into something that he isn't to fill a hole in your team?

For a team that was unable to beat anyone in the top 8 last year and who choked in their home elimination final, Watts will fit right in when the heat gets turned up.

Either stick to your opinions about Watts (which we’ve seen from you armchair critics for a decade), or keep quiet.

2006 was the last time Melbourne played finals. How can you know how Jack will play in finals if he has never had the chance before?

How is that Watts fault? Sounds like he was misused by your club to me. Why try to turn him into something that he isn't to fill a hole in your team?

2006 was the last time Melbourne played finals. How can you know how Jack will play in finals if he has never had the chance before?
Because as a player contributing to the side, you need to contribute and own the direction of the club. Good luck with him, seriously, I hope he does well. But just don’t all of a sudden preach about him being all that when his had 8 years of mediocrity.

Jack has days where you can see his effort, such as what you're referencing, and then there are days where that effort is sorely lacking. That Jack rose to the occasion in his first game for Port in front of his new fans is hardly surprising.

He played 153 games for Melbourne, so it's fair to say I've seen a bit more of him than you. Watts' attributes have been widely discussed for a decade. You need to appreciate that Watts was marched out the door not just because of his on-field inconsistency. He was marched out the door for cultural reasons. He's a half dedicated footballer that didn't do the "extras". Football wasn't the be all and end all for him. He was popular, but also considered a bad influence on the young players. Turning up to preseason training unfit was the final nail in his coffin. inside a football club the mob work you out. They know Jack and they know his influence and it wasn't considered to be great among the younger group. THIS was the main reason he was let go. We have the most players in the competition aged between 21-24 and Watts didn't have the mindset that was wanted among this group.

We've watched him for 9 years and over 150 games. Watts may be new to Port fans, but nothing he does is a revealation To Melbourne fans.
I am listening to you and have no doubt Melbourne wanted him gone ...

But maybe as everyone says this will be the shock that was needed to bring the best out of himself

In perspective his off field stuff is hardly a Fevola or urine swallowing, motel shitting , gf glass smashing rugby league level .... ( and even they get another chance)

Just like some good players can't coach ....everyone is different.... does a skilled player always have to be the hard nut at contesting?

I think being number 2 or 3 tall forward and not the messiah may take the pressure off him as well

I don't really believe that a player takes the field and decides not to try

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because as a player contributing to the side, you need to contribute and own the direction of the club.

What rot, if you are being played out of position how are you meant to contribute in a meaningful way?

I am listening to you and have no doubt Melbourne wanted him gone ...

But maybe as everyone says this will be the shock that was needed to bring the best out of himself

In perspective his off field stuff is hardly a Fevola or urine swallowing, motel shitting , gf glass smashing rugby league level .... ( and even they get another chance)

Just like some good players can't coach ....everyone is different.... does a skilled player always have to be the hard nut at contesting?

I think being number 2 or 3 tall forward and not the messiah may take the pressure off him as well

I don't really believe that a player takes the field and decides not to try
Sure. Sometimes it takes a change of scenery to get the best out of someone.

I reckon Watts will be better for the move and I reckon the MFC playing group will be better for having him forced out.

Let me leave the views of Ron Barassi about people within footy clubs. It's why Jack Watts is no longer at Melbourne.

Will just be another Jay Schulz, above average at Port after moving into a role where he can flourish.

Don’t know why anyone enjoying him at Port should be shot down. He will hopefully be given every opportunity to thrive being played in his correct position and asked to do a role in which he is very good at. Show case his elite skills, goal kicking and ability to extract the ball in contests rather than be thrown around he ground as a swing man, ruckman, defender. I’m sure he’ll relish not having to be 1 out non stop in the forward line being asked to be a gorilla forward like he was for the first 4-5 years at Melbourne.

Play his role, get 16-20 touches a week, hit targets, get the effective handballs out of contests and kick his 40 goals for the season and he will be delivering exactly what we need him to.

Will just be another Jay Schulz, above average at Port after moving into a role where he can flourish.

Don’t know why anyone enjoying him at Port should be shot down. He will hopefully be given every opportunity to thrive being played in his correct position and asked to do a role in which he is very good at. Show case his elite skills, goal kicking and ability to extract the ball in contests rather than be thrown around he ground as a swing man, ruckman, defender. I’m sure he’ll relish not having to be 1 out non stop in the forward line being asked to be a gorilla forward like he was for the first 4-5 years at Melbourne.

Play his role, get 16-20 touches a week, hit targets, get the effective handballs out of contests and kick his 40 goals for the season and he will be delivering exactly what we need him to.

100% agree

Having Dixon as the gorilla who throws his weight around means he can play the supporting and or link up role.

It’s interesting to see Port go with the lanky Marshall as the third option which takes further pressure off watts.

This thread will get a lot of bumps this season. When he has a s**t game, bumps by the anti-Watts saying 'SEE TOLD YOU!' and then when he has a good game, something to do with 'lol Melbourne culture'.

Reality is, he just needs to be better than Trengove was in the same role and do it to an average level and he's a huge boon for Port for peanuts. People will be underrating/overrating him all season. Melbourne lose a player that I don't think they really needed and get a new player who I'd be happy with. Win-win all round really.

Win win. Meh.
As long as we win who cares about the other side in a trade.

Plus we have our own Messiah.

Dooooooooooouuuuuuuug

:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back