Free Agency Jade Gresham [Joins Essendon as RFA]

Does he stay or does he go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If North can't fit any salary into their books right now, whoever is doing the books needs to be sacked.

It's a completely different position Carlton were in where it was Gold Coast picking before them who were struggling for cap space and Melbourne who just played in a preliminary final.

You guys were upset when losing RFA Gresham may have netted Shiel with some salary paid, maybe even a second round pick thrown in, now .....

download (2).jpeg

I am not sure what you referring to, and the use of the world "force".

St Kilda has the right to match the FA contract that Essendon puts up. If matched, then yes it can go to trade depending on the players decision.
No Band 1 would most likely go straight through.
Band 2 would probably go through.
Band 3 would most likely be matched.

Where a Restricted Free Agent’s Current Club matches the Offer and the Player wishes to participate in the AFL Competition in the following year, the Restricted Free Agent must either:
(i) enter into a Contract of Service in accordance with the Matching Offer with his Current Club within 7 days of the provision of notice of the Matching Offer to the restricted Free Agent under Rule 17.5(e); or
(ii) nominate for the Draft (unless the Player is part of an exchange under Rule 9).

Here's the post with the tweet

I wonder if Saints pulling their interest in Shiel is accounting for some of the hold-up. It is possible that the list position for getting Gresham had become tied to Shiel.

Fingers crossed we will pull out now. Gresham is meh. He was only considered because he's a FA. If we have to trade, the lights just came back on, and Gresham doesn't look so good in the lights.

It’s not PSD threats time of year again is it 🤦‍♂️
PTSD?

Edit: I'll throw this out there (to be cheeky). Saints fan have always said that Gresham doesn't care about Essendon, he just cares about the money. If this is true, what is really stopping him from putting a price on his head that Essendon agree to. Saints agree to pay him, fine he stays, if not he goes to the draft and gets picked up by someone who will pay it.

Last edited:
I am not sure what you referring to, and the use of the world "force".

St Kilda has the right to match the FA contract that Essendon puts up. If matched, then yes it can go to trade depending on the players decision.
No Band 1 would most likely go straight through.
Band 2 would probably go through.
Band 3 would most likely be matched.

Where a Restricted Free Agent’s Current Club matches the Offer and the Player wishes to participate in the AFL Competition in the following year, the Restricted Free Agent must either:
(i) enter into a Contract of Service in accordance with the Matching Offer with his Current Club within 7 days of the provision of notice of the Matching Offer to the restricted Free Agent under Rule 17.5(e); or
(ii) nominate for the Draft (unless the Player is part of an exchange under Rule 9).

There was some chatter about it

1:30PM - BOMBERS HIT SNAG IN FREE AGENCY PLAY

Essendon and St Kilda are reportedly at loggerheads over the future of Jade Gresham, with the Saints trying to force a trade for the restricted free agent.”

To be fair, trade radio just talks a lot and who knows if this is just off the cuff or from a source 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I replied to a poster about trade deals.

You just fell over your feet to come to Adrian's defense. :)
I think you might need a dictionary for what the word deal means. Anyway flattered you have the time to visit a thread not related to your team. Goodnight Terrrryyy.

I think what gets lost is Gresham is a nice to have not an essential piece of the puzzle, Essendon had a glaring hole for a key back so they paid to fill that hole with what can be described as a large contract which triggered band 1 compensation. The best way to move forward is process the contract as agreed and if StKilda match all good we all move on, exactly as the restricted free agent process should work.

Gresham is a $600K maybe $650K player at absolute tops. Best finish in a BnF is 6th. Didn't even finish in the top 10 this year and played every game. If Essendon wants to retain contract integrity in the list they shouldn't be paying more than that.

What does $600-650K net for Saints? Band 3? where does that land? Pick 35. On the open market, what is the best Saints could expect to get for him in a trade? I'd say a pick between 30-40. Which means the compo is completely fair, and the Saints just want to be difficult about it to cheat the system, which I also understand tbf.

Can see him staying and everyone walking away without losing a wink. Not a player worth fighting a battle over.

Gresham is a $600K maybe $650K player at absolute tops. Best finish in a BnF is 6th. Didn't even finish in the top 10 this year and played every game. If Essendon wants to retain contract integrity in the list they shouldn't be paying more than that.

What does $600-650K net for Saints? Band 3? where does that land? Pick 35. On the open market, what is the best Saints could expect to get for him in a trade? I'd say a pick between 30-40. Which means the compo is completely fair, and the Saints just want to be difficult about it to cheat the system, which I also understand tbf.

Can see him staying and everyone walking away without losing a wink. Not a player worth fighting a battle over.
He is 20 to 30 in a trade..... Still has plenty offer (is only 26), is good forward and kicks goals and can run through midfield occasionally .... end of 1st round is probably right (in FA) which after academy bids and whatnot will be around pick 25 ...... think both clubs would be OK with that outcome

Essendon supporters don't want Gresh. We don't want to use our cap on him, we don't want to trade anything of worth for him. What does all this tell you? Gresham is probably sitting back thinking I don't mind who pays me as long as I get a deal. He's worth 350k for 3 years. That's his worth, anything more is ridiculous

Back