Player Watch Jake Soligo - Re-Signed to End of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Soligo? Probably not. Of the young ones I'd say Pedlar, Fogarty and Rachele are the promising leaders. Also wouldn't discount someone like Murray.
Don’t think we have to worry about it for a while yet though, if we can produce some sustained success I can see Dawson being captain for 6 or 7 years

I'm not a huge fan of these kind of contracts. Seems like a good way to demotivate a player.
If we're signing all these kids on long contracts... We must have so much cap space right now

Everyone runs into bad form.... But I've not seen anything from soligo to indicate he would go bad. He's been extremely consistent.

If we're signing all these kids on long contracts... We must have so much cap space right now

Everyone runs into bad form.... But I've not seen anything from soligo to indicate he would go bad. He's been extremely consistent.
I like the player, I just hope we got the money right because this could backfire if he gets badly injured or his form falls off a cliff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not a huge fan of these kind of contracts. Seems like a good way to demotivate a player.

Two ways to look at it.

Some players may flick it into cruise control.

You could also say that the security of a long term deal allows a player to fully invest and buy into the club. I tend to lean towards the latter.

Wonder what the $ figure for Soligo and Rachele's contracts are

You'd think they wouldn't be hugely expensive contracts, given they're not proven superstars yet, but they would be at a dollar value that's close to their max potential (otherwise they wouldn't consider signing on for that long just yet)

You'd think they wouldn't be hugely expensive contracts, given they're not proven superstars yet, but they would be at a dollar value that's close to their max potential (otherwise they wouldn't consider signing on for that long just yet)
Be good to know!

Yasssss, lets go Sog!!!

They pay a bit overs now with the hopes that it's a good value deal in the last 2 or 3 years of the contract.

Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't (Milera).

Even though contracts don't mean what they used to hopefully keeps Vic teams at bay a bit longer.

Yasssss, lets go Sog!!!

They pay a bit overs now with the hopes that it's a good value deal in the last 2 or 3 years of the contract.

Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't (Milera).

Even though contracts don't mean what they used to hopefully keeps Vic teams at bay a bit longer.
If he can continue his form from this year even that may end up working out OK for us, definitely looked like a regret purchase last year. Entirely dependent on if he can stay healthy though.

Fascinating strategy and a sign of the times.

Understand the Rachele contract completely - pick 6, proven game winner. IMO could be an absolute top 10 player at AFL level.

Soligo is interesting. Has clearly showed he belongs at AFL, but think the jury is still out on his potential. If someone said he was going to become Rory Laird I could understand the argument. Could also see him stagnating a la Berry/Schoenberg.

If he can continue his form from this year even that may end up working out OK for us, definitely looked like a regret purchase last year. Entirely dependent on if he can stay healthy though.

No one knows the money, so we will never truly know, but I'm vibing we blew it and paid massive overs. Given he got injured and essentially lost 2x years, no fault of Milera's, obviously we overpaid but even then he never took the next step in his performances. He was a first rounder and I think he had some interest (Roos or Saints iirc) in his last contract year. He signed for a longer deal than usual and I feel we backed him in to take the next step which never materialized.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back