Player Watch Jake Soligo - Re-Signed to End of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah - imagine that! Player who wasn't 100% fit for round 1 plays an absolute blinder in his 4th game of the year.

Its almost like he is working back from a month long ankle injury:

Week 1 - Sub
Week 2 - 15 touches - 79& TOG
Week 3 - 21 touches - 79% TOG
Week 4 - 27 touches - 83% TOG.

#sackburgess
I’m looking forward to round 18: 46 touches - 108% TOG

Yeah - imagine that! Player who wasn't 100% fit for round 1 plays an absolute blinder in his 4th game of the year.

Its almost like he is working back from a month long ankle injury:

Week 1 - Sub
Week 2 - 15 touches - 79& TOG
Week 3 - 21 touches - 79% TOG
Week 4 - 27 touches - 83% TOG.

#sackburgess
Week 2 wing.
Week 3 wing and mid.
Week 4 mid.

The fact he went from sub to 79% TOG and has basically kept that up is all you need to know about his fitness for round 1.

Sometimes you just need to accept what you’ve posted is wrong, rather than digging that hole deeper.

Week 2 wing.
Week 3 wing and mid.
Week 4 mid.

The fact he went from sub to 79% TOG and has basically kept that up is all you need to know about his fitness for round 1.

Sometimes you just need to accept what you’ve posted is wrong, rather than digging that hole deeper.

Yeah, it was just one of many blunders from our incompetent selection committee. If he had an Ankle injury and fitness was the concern, he shouldn't have played at all. I think they purely lucked out. I am 100% convinced had he only got 2-4 possessions in the limited time he came on, he would have certainly missed the Geelong game through omission.

Week 2 wing.
Week 3 wing and mid.
Week 4 mid.

So Nicks putting Soligo as the sub round 1 had nothing to do with his month long injury?

He just decided that a player who had just played the last 35 games without being sub (was only sub once and that was his 2nd game back in rd 2 of 2022) was that out of favor that he played him as sub. Even though he publicly mentioned concern about his fitness.

Once more - what role does Burgess play? Do you think Burgess declared him 100% fit?

Genuine question - was Berry doing extra work after the Melbourne game?

So Nicks putting Soligo as the sub round 1 had nothing to do with his month long injury?

He just decided that a player who had just played the last 35 games without being sub (was only sub once and that was his 2nd game back in rd 2 of 2022) was that out of favor that he played him as sub. Even though he publicly mentioned concern about his fitness.

Once more - what role does Burgess play? Do you think Burgess declared him 100% fit?

Nicks was being over cautious and thinking we could win without him, he wasn’t that important. If it was a Laird or Tex or Smith who missed the same length of time they would have played. Nicks also wanted to play the team who played more practice games.

And it wasn’t a month long injury. He was running within a couple of weeks.

His TOG a week later was substantial, he didn’t get fit within a week and hasn’t really changed, except this this week when played full time mid. But you attributed this weeks form on his fitness when it was clearly his role and being trusted as a full time mid.

And why would you trust Nicks given he’s shown he’s got s**t for brains?

And we just saw Cook play with just over 50% game time, Soligo couldn’t manage that rd 1?

As for Berry, no idea.

Last edited:
This x100, our starting midfield should be Rachele, Soligo and Dawson with Rankine, Pedlar, Dowling and Crouch rotating around them.
Would look to start giving Max Mich a couple of rotations through there too and bring him into the midfield mix. Don’t wanna do to him what we did to Luke Brown

And why would you trust Nicks given he’s shown he’s got s**t for brains?

Because he ain't smart enough to be tricky.

He very clearly rates Soligo. He is pretty rigid with his selections and has his favorites.

A well publicized injury to Soligo, combined with Nicks talking about his concern for Soligo coming off the ankle injury in press prior to round 1 selection. Then Soligo doing all that extra work after the game (which I am pretty sure our other fit subs don't usually do - hence the Berry question).

I think he is very much like Ron Burgundy reading the teleprompter. If Burgess says a player isn't 100% then thats the way it goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because he ain't smart enough to be tricky.

He very clearly rates Soligo. He is pretty rigid with his selections and has his favorites.

A well publicized injury to Soligo, combined with Nicks talking about his concern for Soligo coming off the ankle injury in press prior to round 1 selection. Then Soligo doing all that extra work after the game (which I am pretty sure our other fit subs don't usually do - hence the Berry question).

I think he is very much like Ron Burgundy reading the teleprompter. If Burgess says a player isn't 100% then thats the way it goes.
If it was Laird Tex or Smith and they missed 2 weeks of running, would they have played?

And that extra training after the game couldn’t have come by playing and it made the difference in playing the next week?

If it was Laird Tex or Smith and they missed 2 weeks of running, would they have played?

Well - I think it was more than 2 weeks.

By all reports was flying preseason. Hurt his ankle Jan 30th. Wasn't healthy enough to play game 23rd of Feb against Port Adelaide. So that tells me he missed a chunk of work and as a kid who couldn't drink alcohol in the US over Xmas - isn't a hardened AFL body.

Very likely with regards to Laird/Tex/Smith. I think they have the senior credits in the bank with Nicks (not condoning it).

And that extra training after the game couldn’t have come by playing and it made the difference in playing the next week?

As I have said numerous times - I think Burgess was concerned with his fitness level not just to survive the GC game, but how he would recover to perform against Geelong in week 2 (humid tough conditions + a 6 day break). He wanted to manage Soligo's time on ground and the fact he was training afterwards illustrates Burgess had a desired workload to set him up for round 2.

Placing him as the Sub to come on allowed Nicks/Burgo the best chance of managing his workload.

Well - I think it was more than 2 weeks.

By all reports was flying preseason. Hurt his ankle Jan 30th. Wasn't healthy enough to play game 23rd of Feb against Port Adelaide. So that tells me he missed a chunk of work and as a kid who couldn't drink alcohol in the US over Xmas - isn't a hardened AFL body.

Very likely with regards to Laird/Tex/Smith. I think they have the senior credits in the bank with Nicks (not condoning it).

As I have said numerous times - I think Burgess was concerned with his fitness level not just to survive the GC game, but how he would recover to perform against Geelong in week 2 (humid tough conditions + a 6 day break). He wanted to manage Soligo's time on ground and the fact he was training afterwards illustrates Burgess had a desired workload to set him up for round 2.

Placing him as the Sub to come on allowed Nicks/Burgo the best chance of managing his workload.
Go look at Bigmans training reports, he was running 2 weeks after hurting his ankle. So he had a big preseason, couldn’t run for 2 weeks and we thought he couldn’t play a full game but could the week after, yeah no worries.

And there it is, exactly the point I’ve been making, senior players with credits would have played, the kid not so and yet he’s proven to be the better player this year. Case closed, we finally got there.

Go look at Bigmans training reports, he was running 2 weeks after hurting his ankle. So he had a big preseason, couldn’t run for 2 weeks and

So he was fit to play against Port 24 days later, but was dropped for the trial match in which 30+ players were selected? He then earned a recall against West Coast when the squad was 26 players a mere 9 days later?

we thought he couldn’t play a full game but could the week after, yeah no worries.

Well once again its a little more than that. Its not just the playing against Gold Coast. Its also how sapping those conditions were and the fact we only had a 6 day break until we played Geelong.

So to me that makes sense. IMO if it was a final - Soligo wouldn't have been sub. Instead Nicks thought his fitness base wasn't there and he would manage a young player into the season considering the circumstances - which makes complete sense.

And there it is, exactly the point I’ve been making, senior players with credits would have played, the kid not so and yet he’s proven to be the better player this year. Case closed, we finally got there.

Senior players with much stronger fitness would have played in the same circumstance over a kid who was off the back of 3 preseasons (one of which was interrupted by the Ankle).

So he was fit to play against Port 24 days later, but was dropped for the trial match in which 30+ players were selected? He then earned a recall against West Coast when the squad was 26 players a mere 9 days later?

Well once again its a little more than that. Its not just the playing against Gold Coast. Its also how sapping those conditions were and the fact we only had a 6 day break until we played Geelong.

So to me that makes sense. IMO if it was a final - Soligo wouldn't have been sub. Instead Nicks thought his fitness base wasn't there and he would manage a young player into the season considering the circumstances - which makes complete sense.

Senior players with much stronger fitness would have played in the same circumstance over a kid who was off the back of 3 preseasons (one of which was interrupted by the Ankle).
Would Jason Horne Francis have played under similar circumstances or been made sub?

This x100, our starting midfield should be Rachele, Soligo and Dawson with Rankine, Pedlar, Dowling and Crouch rotating around them.
I wonder if Nicks' misconception about needing continuity in the playing group also applies to those who are played in the midfield

Is this the same Nicks you're bagging mercilessly in every thread for his awful decisions and comparing to Primus?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back