Toast Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - Welcome to the club

Remove this Banner Ad

After years of being ripped off, Grants Brownlow, player poaching, draft picks in our zone being picked up by the ‘big clubs’, the shite stadium deal where we couldn’t make a profit, no marquee game slot, low membership etc etc. It is so good to finally have a bit of luck, and if anyone begrudges us this than they need to reflect on how their club has benefited by some decisions made at the Bulldogs detriment.

His pressure has been great and is a must if he is to retain his position in the side. Him and Naughton being able to press and crumb on top of Cody, Garcia etc... is huge.
Even Bruce is a bit of a sloppy
Plodder defensively but he at least really tries, if he’s the worst player defensively in our forward line it’s a really good thing for us.

Hopefully throw in Vanders soon and it’s a pretty formidable group defensively

I think we need his goal kicking too, I know he missed one last night but then he adjusted went back and flushed it when needed. And look at the hype and momentum it generated for the team at the time. I think it’s understated how many games we’ve lost (and most teams are the same I guess) by missing a goal in a crucial moment and having all momentum sapped from the team. I’m Naughtys biggest fan in the world and I believe he is in the top 3 forwards in the comp but his goal kicking is a worry, it can just kill us and there’s a real danger in it costing us a final. Again I’m not advocating moving him, he’s a forward. But it at least cancels it out a little bit when Jamarra is gonna kick goals he shouldn’t kick and Naughty is going to miss some he should.

I’m not thattttt far off thinking maybe Jamarra and English is more important to us than English/Martin. Martins form (when he’s had a chance) hasn’t exactly been great tbh it was just what we were getting out of Timmy that made the difference but Tim’s getting better every week in the ruck and Jamarra looks really dangerous. I dunno if Martin offers enough around the ground, idk I’m quite impartial either way but I guess I’m not as concerned right now about getting Martin back as I was

I’m not putting pressure on the kid or expecting anything, but I just think he’s the type who could turn a game in 5 minutes and kick a bag of 3 etc and that could honestly be the difference in winning a final or not. I reckon he’s made for the big stage
i agree 100%

In three games Jamarra has produced more genuine separation leads than Tom Boyd did in his career. I’m not begrudging Boyd but this is a massive positive for us. He is nowhere near ready but you see them impact his burst first 5m is going to have for us. So exciting.

He's a forward's forward - entirely natural leading patterns means that despite his height and the risk of "three talls" being too many, he doesn't get in Naughton and Bruce's way.

i agree 100%
Nah, Martin's efforts were critical in stopping Grundy and Naitanui in the opening two rounds of the year, where coming up against two of the top 5 rucks in the league could have broken us open. Grundy BOG in his previous matchups and Martin having a fantastic R1 was the difference maker against a Collingwood team that still had some residual form from being a good team the last two years, without us having the advantage of coming up against a worse Pies team later in the year.

JUH may be tall, but he's so athletic that the best version of him, you're not losing too much of the mobility side of it and ability to influence when the ball hits the deck. There's room for another ruck, certainly.

As somebody posted before, he will be a beast of a forward and with Naughton and a future 204 cm Forward/ruck Sam Darcy, we could do a Hawthorn. Except if we do, it will be for way longer seeing our age demographic.

With Marra and Astro both having quick reactions, good defensive games and playing like midsizers when the ball is on the ground, it must be an absolute nightmare for opposition backlines given they (and Bruce) both require genuine kpd size opponents.

Being hard to play on and match up on as a forward group is half the battle.

When you throw in the fact that our deep small pressure forward is also a weapon in the air, our forwards are gonna expose a few defensive groups.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he might be out of gas by the time finals arrives. You only have to look at other first year players, Thilthorpe and McDonald who all had a block of handful of games to notice they are currently being rested now. It’s Jamarra’s turn now but it’s hard to expect he will still be in our best 22 when finals comes around. It’s a lot to expect that he will still be contributing by then. Particularly knowing that he didn’t play any footy last year.

Does anyone think that in two to three years Jamarra could be our best forward? And also, could he have the same X factor and goal kicking ability as what Stringer gave us in 2015? He seems to have the same speed on the lead. And seems like he has the ball skills to be great at ground level too.

Last edited:
We haven’t had a ton of clean ball into F50 the last few weeks.

A game will come sooner rather than later where the midfield absolutely feeds him all day and he kicks a bag I think.
Hope he’s got the bombers game marked on his calendar, they’ve improved but * they’re easy to rip apart. I think we’ll absolutely belt them once again if we’re on, with Dunks and Treloar back their midfield will get creamed. could be a good day out for him under the roof

Hope he’s got the bombers game marked on his calendar, they’ve improved but fu** they’re easy to rip apart. I think we’ll absolutely belt them once again if we’re on, could be a good day out for him under the roof

And Bombers supporters can keep convincing themselves that he's desperate to join them.

His ability to spot up and bomb from 50 is the perfect compliment to the best pack mark in the comp being 50 metres out from goal.

pick your poison

Remove this Banner Ad

Back