Toast Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - Welcome to the club

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's his consistency rather than an outright lack of kicking ability, so was prone to bad skill errors. Something he can improve on over time, but definitely something I'd consider a weakness until he's able to demonstrate otherwise
I do think draft watching can become a bit of an echo chamber where hard and fast calls are made on scant evidence.

Most saw Jamarra's under age year at Oakleigh and a couple of rep games At Oakleigh he had 77 kicks in total and most of them were at goal

I do think draft watching can become a bit of an echo chamber where hard and fast calls are made on scant evidence.

Most saw Jamarra's under age year at Oakleigh and a couple of rep games At Oakleigh he had 77 kicks in total and most of them were at goal
I admittedly base it on very limited viewing - showed so much X-factor, but had a habit of sometimes over kicking or dribbling when delivering inside 50. Otherwise I believe Draft Central said his kicking had room for improvement, but again it's fairly subjective

In 2016 a spectacularly raw tall forward debuted for us late in the season. In fact he had never played forward before. Though he didn’t have a third of JUH’s talent he had a better first game, kicking a goal against Geelong at GMHBA. He also kicked the first goal of the granny. I would argue he didn’t end up being a defensive liability in the finals.

It was Zaine's second year in the system and his last year in the TAC wasn't derailed by a pandemic. No comparison here for me.

I think it's his consistency rather than an outright lack of kicking ability, so was prone to bad skill errors. Something he can improve on over time, but definitely something I'd consider a weakness until he's able to demonstrate otherwise
Also, Buddy is one of the best field kicks in the league. He’s amazing delivering into the forward line

Just rewatched the game, what I liked most is granted he had a little wind assistance but that second goal was a huge bomb. Went roughly 60m! Would be awesome if this became the norm for him as it would allow him to be far more dangerous higher in the forward line.

It was Zaine's second year in the system and his last year in the TAC wasn't derailed by a pandemic. No comparison here for me.
So a player who took two years to debut after an uninterrupted under 18s campaign was more likely to succeed playing forward in finals than a guy who debuted in his first year even though he had an interrupted under 18s campaign?

You do understand that your only making your case worse.

Definitely worth discussing whether we would be too tall with Marra, Naughts Bruce, English and potentially Martin in the same team. But your whole “a first year forward will be a defensive liability in finals” is just random. I could pick a whole heap of successful finals forwards who have provided less pressure than Marra would but they play because they have a certain role in a certain team’s make up. We may decide in a few weeks that Marra doesn’t suit our best forward set up for finals but it won’t be because he is a first year player or is a defensive liability.

People keep repeating this stuff without evidence. Send me to some specific examples in the last two games. Happy to check it out on Kayo.

So a player who took two years to debut after an uninterrupted under 18s campaign was more likely to succeed playing forward in finals than a guy who debuted in his first year even though he had an interrupted under 18s campaign?

You do understand that your only making your case worse.

Definitely worth discussing whether we would be too tall with Marra, Naughts Bruce, English and potentially Martin in the same team. But your whole “a first year forward will be a defensive liability in finals” is just random. I could pick a whole heap of successful finals forwards who have provided less pressure than Marra would but they play because they have a certain role in a certain team’s make up. We may decide in a few weeks that Marra doesn’t suit our best forward set up for finals but it won’t be because he is a first year player or is a defensive liability.

People keep repeating this stuff without evidence. Send me to some specific examples in the last two games. Happy to check it out on Kayo.

Pardon me for butting in. Cordy has a Premiership Medal available to display, earned in the quirkiest Grand Final imaginable. He's untouchable. Beg his forgiveness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could our high performance team work with him on some drills during the preseason to elongate his neck?

Not expecting diplodocus or anything but some gains in that department would be great.

Neck, dinosaurs, lockdowns. This kid is could be Chris Grant plus

The comparisons always bothered me, because the only thing they have in common aside from being key forwards is the fact they're indigenous. It's just a lazy and casually racist comparison.

Buddy is a beautiful field kick, very strong in the contest, but poor overhead.

Marra is a poor field kick (although he was surprisingly good against the Suns), better when leaping to the contest rather than standing and wrestling, and strong overhead.

I've always thought a Charlie Curnow was a better comparison. Has the long arms and similar aerial and ground ball ability. They both had to work on their kicking as well. But with the major difference being Curnow is an endurance beast, while Jamarra is more of a speed demon.

Who was it who made a dickhead of themselves on here after someone said Jamarra can kick them from anywhere? 😂 say what you want about his under 18s kicking, I can’t say I saw enough of it to make an opinion, but anyone who has watched any of his vfl games this year shouldn’t be surprised he’ll consistently kick set shots from 50+, the pockets etc. Blokes the most natural goal kicker on our list already, our forward line has come a long way this year but I still feel we lack a natural goal kicker or two, the type who makes goals look easy rather than our usual method of working hard and peppering the goals til one sticks.

There’s a place for him in this finals team imo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back