James Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

Missing the point. Accolades like that from that long ago are pointless. If AA in 2010 is to mean anything in terms of what Hawthorn would pay for him then why hasn't he been AA since then? I won my clubs B&F in under 13's but it didn't help me make any state teams 4 years later. Hawthorn didn't get where it is now by paying that kind of money for players that "could be" in the next few years.

I'd love to have him at the Hawks and think he would do really well for us. But I'd spew if we paid him 800K/yr. 550K/yr is where I see him at.
They have finished bottom 4 ever since. It is near impossible to be AA in a bottom 4 team. He is a good KPP. 550 is better than 400 and on the right path.

Not many 25 year olds will leave for less money. Different if you have a couple of years left and want a flag. You will have to pay a decent price for him.

Garry Lyon tipped a bucket on him last night on "footy confidential", claims he is a one skill pony, ability to mark a high contested ball, but can't kick and doesn't have the footy smarts.

Garry Lyon tipped a bucket on him last night on "footy confidential", claims he is a one skill pony, ability to mark a high contested ball, but can't kick and doesn't have the footy smarts.
Which tells you that Gaz knows he is gonski

I think most of the football world is well and truly aware of this.

I wasn't - last year he kciked 32 goals in 13 games V top 8 and 40 goals in 11 games V bottom 10.

He is a gun and as good a forward as there is in the comp.

Last edited:
This is one of those posts where you realize 95% of people on here have NFI about any player outside their own club.

Frawley will be at Hawthorn, Geelong or GC next year. If he was going to stay he would have signed long ago.

I'm not saying he won't leave Melbourne. I just don't think he is worthy of all the attention he is getting. He is a very limited player in an average side, but if he can get $600k a year good luck to him.

But I wouldn't be paying him anywhere near that.

He's so gone.

Much rather keep him, but I suppose we can cover him at full back with Dunn and McDonald and Hogan will take that place in the forward line.

Every other play has re-signed, he keeps moving the goal posts when asked for a comment.

We have shown direction and improvement, which is what he asked for.

If he wanted to stay, he would sign.

Now he has to keep his lips zipped until round 23 so he can play the last two months.

I'm not saying he won't leave Melbourne. I just don't think he is worthy of all the attention he is getting. He is a very limited player in an average side, but if he can get $600k a year good luck to him.

But I wouldn't be paying him anywhere near that.
Well you would be silly, because he would instantly be the Western Bulldogs' best KPP by a margin. The only reason you won't table a huge offer is that he wouldn't take a sideways step.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well you would be silly, because he would instantly be the Western Bulldogs' best KPP by a margin. The only reason you won't table a huge offer is that he wouldn't take a sideways step.

I'd rather have Jordan Roughead actually, more bang for the buck

So how many players aren't flat track bully, if that's the measure of a man.

I am not a Jarryd Roughead hater, but I think guys like him Travis Cloke, Jack Riewoldt, Kurt Tippett etc are well and truly overpaid for their output. The top 25 players in all media awards and brownlows are usually midfielders. This may be more a reflection on how the game is being played these days but I would rather spend $750k per year on Sam Mitchell, Nate Fyfe, Josh Kennedy (syd), Joel Selwood, Jobe Watson, Tom Rockliff etc who perform every week than these key position players who dominate a game once a month and usually dont have too big an influence in big games. Buddy being the exception.

I am not a Jarryd Roughead hater, but I think guys like him Travis Cloke, Jack Riewoldt, Kurt Tippett etc are well and truly overpaid for their output. The top 25 players in all media awards and brownlows are usually midfielders. This may be more a reflection on how the game is being played these days but I would rather spend $750k per year on Sam Mitchell, Nate Fyfe, Josh Kennedy (syd), Joel Selwood, Jobe Watson, Tom Rockliff etc who perform every week than these key position players who dominate a game once a month and usually dont have too big an influence in big games. Buddy being the exception.

Name the power forwards that are better? There are a lot of very good midfielders - but not many key forwards.

That is why their price is high. Roughead is as good a forward as Selwood a midfielder.

Hawkins - 36 marks 14 goals
Roughey - 44 Marks 18 goals

Both played 10 finals since 2008. I know who I would prefer.

I know who I would prefer as well. Hawkins stands up and wins big games for the cats in the last quarter but I dont think Roghy does for the hawks. (probably because most games are over by the last quarter for them !!!)

Name the power forwards that are better? There are a lot of very good midfielders - but not many key forwards.

That is why their price is high. Roughead is as good a forward as Selwood a midfielder.

But my point was the way the games are being played key forwards are no longer as influential so I would rather load up on midfield guns. I know Selwood has stood up in the last quarter many times against the hawks in the close ones (and we have had plenty) but i dont remember Roughy doing the same. Mitchell and Hodge have, but not Roughy.

But my point was the way the games are being played key forwards are no longer as influential so I would rather load up on midfield guns. I know Selwood has stood up in the last quarter many times against the hawks in the close ones (and we have had plenty) but i dont remember Roughy doing the same. Mitchell and Hodge have, but not Roughy.

Swings and round abouts - with Patton, Boyd, Hogan, Daniher, Cameron, Lynch etc coming through it could be a throw back to the 90's were power fowards ruled the competition.

I would choose Roughey to bring into North over any other Hawk.

I think it is simple. Pay 570k and give melbourne a 1st and 2nd round pick. Hawthorn would be a great spot for him considering the mentors down back we have. Lake, Gibson and Schoenmakers. Not to mention he could be a future captain for us. I can imagine Frawley leading a young pack of hawks. ;) Does anyone agree?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back