James Worpel [signs 2 year deal]

Remove this Banner Ad

His season has gone under the radar after a couple of forgettable years.

Rated elite for clearances in 2023.
7th in the comp for centre clearances
9th total clearances
8th inside 50’s
13th contested possessions

Equal 1st for turnovers with Kelly, but having said that he’s in good company with Brayshaw, Gulden, Oliver and Petracca nipping at his heels.

Reckon both club and player might be happy to see what interest is out there.

Why would the club want that?

You've cut all your experience, is there a reason you'd want to cut a 24 year old who is about to peak?

SYL is one of the only posters from our board who holds this view.

Not saying Worpel is guaranteed to stay, but the idea of him leaving doesn't seem to be on the radar for the rest of us.

Time will tell.

His season has gone under the radar after a couple of forgettable years.

Rated elite for clearances in 2023.
7th in the comp for centre clearances
9th total clearances
8th inside 50’s
13th contested possessions

Equal 1st for turnovers with Kelly, but having said that he’s in good company with Brayshaw, Gulden, Oliver and Petracca nipping at his heels.

Reckon both club and player might be happy to see what interest is out there.
Stop posting this

It isn't true

Will be re-signed post the bye, if not earlier

SYL is one of the only posters from our board who holds this view.

Not saying Worpel is guaranteed to stay, but the idea of him leaving doesn't seem to be on the radar for the rest of us.

Time will tell.
Tops has this view too, btw.

Stop posting this

It isn't true

Will be re-signed post the bye, if not earlier
Come on, you know what “reckon” means.
It doesn’t mean it’s definite, it means I think we’ve been holding out on extending him, which Worpel has even said himself, see below.

After a busy off-season of signings at the Hawks that has seen the likes of Jai Newcombe, Dylan Moore and Ned Reeves recommit to the club, Worpel believes he too will be donning the brown and gold from 2024, but understands nothing is set in stone.

"Who knows what could happen," Worpel said.

"I'm still confident I'll be at the Hawks next year. Hopefully this year is gonna be my year.

"We haven't talked to the club, they're probably getting the main boys (signed)... Jai, Moorey, they're pretty important players for us."

But while questions remain over his future at Bunjil Bagora, Worpel has been able to see the funnier side of facing uncertainty.

"Who knows if they've got any money left for me at the end of the year," Worpel laughed.

If he re-signs that’s great, but the club would have wanted to see him recapture his form before doing it.

His numbers have been much better this season but he’s the worst kick in our side. His kicking is deplorable.

Whilst being our most experienced midfielder, looking ahead to 2024 and beyond he’s behind Day, Nash, Newcombe and Ward. Cam Mackenzie, who is arguably the best kick in the side will overtake him as well. Cooper Stephen’s and Henry hustwaite will also be given opportunities in the back half of this season.

We simply can’t have players in the side that can’t kick and consistently turn the ball over, which Worpel does.

In terms of trade value, we could probably get a late second or early third round pick for him, which we would be silly not to take.

His numbers have been much better this season but he’s the worst kick in our side. His kicking is deplorable.

Whilst being our most experienced midfielder, looking ahead to 2024 and beyond he’s behind Day, Nash, Newcombe and Ward. Cam Mackenzie, who is arguably the best kick in the side will overtake him as well. Cooper Stephen’s and Henry hustwaite will also be given opportunities in the back half of this season.

We simply can’t have players in the side that can’t kick and consistently turn the ball over, which Worpel does.

In terms of trade value, we could probably get a late second or early third round pick for him, which we would be silly not to take.
Yeah I’m gonna go ahead and say we aren’t trading our number 1 clearance, contested possession winner and inside 50 player for pick 40 🤦‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A decent player to win clearances but disposal is deplorable and he is pretty slow. Wouldn't be getting a game at many clubs

Exactly my point…

Leads the team in “inside 50’s”..
our forward line is ranked 18th..and the arguments will come thats because Mitch Lewis has been out injured…it won’t make a difference having him back when the player kicking him the ball can’t hit a 20m target.

Mitch Lewis has played the last two weeks and we’ve kicked a combined 113 points.

Can't kick. Worth * all.
Having a better year than Simpkin right now, is 12 months younger, and the difference in kicking efficiency between the two of them is just 1%, but I bet you don’t say that Simpkin can’t kick, and that he would be worth a heap in a trade.

It won’t matter though, he’s a low chance of going anywhere.

Having a better year than Simpkin right now, is 12 months younger, and the difference in kicking efficiency between the two of them is just 1%, but I bet you don’t say that Simpkin can’t kick, and that he would be worth a heap in a trade.

It won’t matter though, he’s a low chance of going anywhere.
What does Simpkin have to do with it?

What were Tom Mitchell’s stats for us last season? Where was he ranked at the club for:
  • contested possessions
  • clearances
  • inside 50’s
Let me know when you look it up. But Mitchell was also nearing 30 and got traded for pick 41, 50 and cooper Stephens. So doubt we trade worpel, who’s 24 and having a better year than Mitchell did in 22, for pick 40

"I'm still confident I'll be at the Hawks next year. Hopefully this year is gonna be my year.

"We haven't talked to the club, they're probably getting the main boys (signed)... Jai, Moorey, they're pretty important players for us."
Gee I kinda hope they resign him just based on this. There’s a club man right there.

What were Tom Mitchell’s stats for us last season? Where was he ranked at the club for:
  • contested possessions
  • clearances
  • inside 50’s
What's the point of arguing this?
You can value him whatever you want but you know Hawthorn won't trade him for pick 40. I'm just going to put you down as someone who believes a deal won't get done even if he wants to leave because Hawthorn will value him higher than what you believe the market will.

What's the point of arguing this?
You can value him whatever you want but you know Hawthorn won't trade him for pick 40. I'm just going to put you down as someone who believes a deal won't get done even if he wants to leave because Hawthorn will value him higher than what you believe the market will.

Our starting midfield heading into 2024 will look like this in my opinion.

First rotation: Day, Newcombe Nash
Second rotation: Ward, Mackenzie
Connor Macdonald will also get a few CBA most weeks.

Currently, when everyone is fit, Worpel in my opinion has that last spot and is keeping Cam Mackenzie out of the side. A player that is already one our team’s best users by foot despite only playing a handful of games.

There’s also the likes of Cooper Stephens and Henry Hustwaite coming through that will be given a run in the back half of the season. If they perform, Worpel won’t be playing next season.

We know what Worpel is. He isn’t going to get better. He’s an accumulator that can’t kick. With such a poor forward line like ours, you can’t carry those players every week. Every team has players like Worpel and most aren’t playing..see the likes of Will Brodie at Freo and Matt kennedy at Carlton. Both those players are better than Worpel.

We will be losing our second and third round picks in a strong draft at the end of the season in order to get Will McCabe, who is looking like a top 15-20 prospect.

We will be looking to get additional draft picks in what looks to be a strong draft. Worpel, is one player that a club may offer a pick in the 30-40 range.

Who would you rather in the team each week moving forward?? James Worpel or Cam Mackenzie? It can’t be both as the guys above are locks and there is only room for one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back