James Worpel [signs 2 year deal]

Remove this Banner Ad

3rr in the comp, so you do admit he is a turnover merchant then?

Are you seriously suggesting Worpel is anywhere near the player Warner is? šŸ¤£
You said worst in the comp, thats factually incorrect as T Kelly and Taranto statistically are worse

Oh not at all, Warner is a fantastic player, but if you want to throw incorrect facts around, I thought i might educate you in some real ones

Warner and Worpel have identical disposal efficiency career wise and average within .2 of each other for turnovers

So don't be throwing out factually incorrect statements when they are so easily disproven

Worpel turns it over, no doubt, but Warner is a merchant by your standards as well

3rr in the comp, so you do admit he is a turnover merchant then?

Are you seriously suggesting Worpel is anywhere near the player Warner is? šŸ¤£

1685424211333.png

Left Warner. Right Worpel.

Pretty comparable numbers wise. Biggest difference is Warner moves the ball with more urgency with the metres gained and Worpel the superior player in generating clearances. Similar goals, goal assists, disposal efficiency, score involvements, disposals etc.

Both play very different roles though. FWIW I'm not saying Worpel is on the same level as Warner. I rate Warner highly. I don't think Worpel is getting much respect for his game this year, has been one of the better ball winners in the comp.

View attachment 1700480

Left Warner. Right Worpel.

Pretty comparable numbers wise. Biggest difference is Warner moves the ball with more urgency with the metres gained and Worpel the superior player in generating clearances. Similar goals, goal assists, disposal efficiency, score involvements, disposals etc.

Both play very different roles though. FWIW I'm not saying Worpel is on the same level as Warner. I rate Warner highly. I don't think Worpel is getting much respect for his game this year, has been one of the better ball winners in the comp.

Ok that's clear then Warner is worth early 2nd round and Worpel mid-2nd round :cool:

You said worst in the comp, thats factually incorrect as T Kelly and Taranto statistically are worse

Oh not at all, Warner is a fantastic player, but if you want to throw incorrect facts around, I thought i might educate you in some real ones

Warner and Worpel have identical disposal efficiency career wise and average within .2 of each other for turnovers

So don't be throwing out factually incorrect statements when they are so easily disproven

Worpel turns it over, no doubt, but Warner is a merchant by your standards as well

He's not by my standards, you're the one who pulled the stats out.

They are two completely different types of players. Warner plays in a similar vein to Petracca, breaking away from congestion with power and pace. Worpel is similar to Mitchell, get ball and throw it on the boot without any regard for where it's going, even when he does have time to steady he usually fluffs it.

If the Hawks offered an out of contract Worpel on the open market, I doubt they'd get much interest, and if they did, his trade value would be 30+ such are his limitations. Crouch at Adelaide is a superior player with similar limitations (albeit not as bad) and nobody has touched him when he's been available over the last few off seasons

Hence, he'll be a Hawks turnover merchant for a little while longer.

FWIW (and I called this a few seasons ago), I don't think he'll be on an AFL list by the time he's 30

The worst turnover merchant in the league, no other team is going to pursue a player with that deficiency.

Sorry Hawks supporters, you're stuck with him
Warner, Petracca, dusty are the last three players to lead the league in turnovers. Fairly s**t bunch. Also worpels the third worst this year behind kelly and Taranto, just ahead of bontempelli.

Well Taranto isn't even in the top 150 players in the league, it's nothing to hang your hat on.
I think the point is to hang one's hat on the fact that the Tigers sent the Giants pick 12 and 19 in last year's draft as trade compensation.

1685442968609.png

Last edited:
SEN: Under the radar...
James Worpel (Hawthorn)
ā€œWe had him under the radar and James Worpel we had as the third highest rated player on the ground on the weekend but he didn't get a vote.
ā€œThis is what the ratings love, and this is what we sort of value highly, that's the impact that you have on matches.
ā€œHe had 24 disposals, but he was involved in 12 scores and five score assists, both career high numbers for him.
ā€œThe damage that he's been able to have and really produce in his game this year from fewer disposals has been really impressive.ā€

I love Worps and he is doing exactly what our side needs at the minute.

That being said, no way would we get a top 10 pick for him.

The two main areas that Dunkley does well in comparison, is Worps has poor disposal by foot (kicks too often without contemplating options - partly owing to being at the coalface) and his lack of utility. He really only plays one role well, whereas Dunk was prized as he could play in the middle, outside and at half forward - with really good forward pressure.

I expect he will sign on with us and will be a good complement to the rest of our mids coming through - no one can squeeze him out at the minute as his extraction is the best in the team. Allows the likes of Jai and Day to play more outside/burst from stoppage, which helps the side more.

If he were to go - a 2nd round pick would feel about right, but could easily see him getting nabbed for less too. Depends on how desperate this hypothetical club was for a midfield clearance winner was :p

Very happy for him to stay at the Hawks :)

EDIT: Only side who I could see making a play for him at this stage would be Geelong, seeing as he was a Geelong boy. But I feel he is like-for-like with many on their list, so not likely even still, despite their current woes. Curious though what Geelong supporters feel they need in their midfield over next few years.

I dont mind worpel as a player and hes ok but i dont think in general we are struggling for inside mids (our current injuries notwithstanding). The fact that even before our injuries parfitt was playing vfl (granted worpel is a better player but its a comment on the balance of inside mids on our list) probably says to me that we have bigger priorities in trades this year, like replacing all our over 30s talls. That said i wouldnt be against him if he was cheap enough but i doubt he wants to leave hawthorn anyway.

I dont mind worpel as a player and hes ok but i dont think in general we are struggling for inside mids (our current injuries notwithstanding). The fact that even before our injuries parfitt was playing vfl (granted worpel is a better player but its a comment on the balance of inside mids on our list) probably says to me that we have bigger priorities in trades this year, like replacing all our over 30s talls. That said i wouldnt be against him if he was cheap enough but i doubt he wants to leave hawthorn anyway.
We will take pick 7 and keep Worpel for our future thirdā€¦

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mail from AFL.COM is he is in talks with Hawthorn for a 2 year extension which I think takes him to Free Agency, which is probably for the best for both parties imo

Well deserved for Jimmy. Two years keeps him hungry enough to keep performing for what should be his last big pay day.

Not worth trading, because heā€™s worth more in your team than in a trade. No way is Pick 10 or better a possibility. He gets a bad wrap for his helicopter kicks but in that first-half demolition by Port Adelaide, Worpel was one of very few who wasnā€™t overawed and gave a four quarter effort (simply limited in ability).

As much as I rate McKenzie, heā€™s still very much at a stage in his career where heā€™s being brought into the game by teammates. He isnā€™t at the point of making things happen by himself, especially compared to Worpel. You want any young player to clearly overtake Worpel before you start making calls about moving Worpel on, IMO. Is Nashā€™s form a purple patch or not? Too early to tell; Worpel definitely played better against Port, though.

Not worth trading, because heā€™s worth more in your team than in a trade. No way is Pick 10 or better a possibility. He gets a bad wrap for his helicopter kicks but in that first-half demolition by Port Adelaide, Worpel was one of very few who wasnā€™t overawed and gave a four quarter effort (simply limited in ability).

As much as I rate McKenzie, heā€™s still very much at a stage in his career where heā€™s being brought into the game by teammates. He isnā€™t at the point of making things happen by himself, especially compared to Worpel. You want any young player to clearly overtake Worpel before you start making calls about moving Worpel on, IMO. Is Nashā€™s form a purple patch or not? Too early to tell; Worpel definitely played better against Port, though.
Agree with worpel. Mackenzie is 10 games in and behind some good clearances mids heā€™s what we need to balance the likes of worpel and Nash. He will win his own ball in time but equally if heā€™s the first receive from them to kick inside 50 our forwards will be happy going forward.

I feel like this too. Ex-Falcon and with how much the absence of some of our mainstay over-30 midfielders has been felt over the past month, some speculation is natural, while he remains out of contract.

But Chris Scott has always put a premium on versatile players, that's why the injuries to our regular mids (and rucks) have hit so hard: because we've been left with players who can "play a bit of midfield" and kids who aren't quite ready to make the leap, starting in the square for the first bounce. So Worpel would be a godsend if he'd been on our list and healthy in May.

I wouldn't be interested in him for anything better than a late-20s pick and Hawthorn would be crazy to do that.

Mail from AFL.COM is he is in talks with Hawthorn for a 2 year extension which I think takes him to Free Agency, which is probably for the best for both parties imo
Mail is that it was done before that even went to print.

Having a career best year.

One of those situations where a clubs supporters knew the answer all along.

We wouldn't feel much impact from losing Tom Mitchell or Jaeger O'Meara (or ultimately, both) because Worpel is a far superior player without them in the side.

Luckily for us, Connor Nash has improved in leaps and bounds and Day and Newcombe could be an elite midfield combinatin to go along with Worpel's rejuvenation.

Worps is playing a strong part in a well function midfield group.

Off all the names in the midfield, he is the one we can afford to lose and still have cover. I think, Hawks will listen to good offers made for Worpel. He is playing some v good footy but he is replaceable. We have the talent.

Needs to be a 1st rounder, ideally top 10 in my books. Cats have only 1st round this yr. The others that may be interested are the Saints & may be the Dogs too.

I suggest we still re-sign Worpel for 2 yrs to take him to FA status in 2025. He was drafted pick 45 in 2017.
Cats ain't coming for Worpel. We've never once been interested

Do you work in the Geelongs recruiting department or are you just making s**t up?
I am going to go with the 2nd option.

Thats actually wrong

Slightly angry reactions there. Can you find literally anything solid connecting us to an intent to get him outside the Hawks board? Because I've seen literally nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back